Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Team of the Year

2»

Comments

• Options
    Would we swap Marquis for Taylor? I wouldn't swap our centre halves with the ones on there either. And which one of those selected would we swap with Aribo, Cullen, Williams or Bielik?
  • Options
    Those saying Marquis doesnt deserve it and Taylor should be in there.

Stats say Marquis is better with 18 goals compared to Taylors 14, now we all see Taylor week in week out and no he offers more than just goals, but they will go by stats and for attackers more often its most goals scored.

Although Eaves has 19 so not sure how he misses out haha maybe they didnt want to include someone so close to relegation lol

To be honest I don't think any Charlton player should be in there... Yes we see our players every week but we don't see those that have been included every week - When you go down to the bare bones the stats for those players that have been included (and I don't just mean assists / tackles / goals) they're probably better than any of ours

Could argue that the likes of Bauer | Sarr | Aribo | Cullen | Bielik deserve a place on their stats but injuries have probably stopped that happening, whereas I imagine that those eleven have played most of their games?

• Options
    Those saying Marquis doesnt deserve it and Taylor should be in there.

Stats say Marquis is better with 18 goals compared to Taylors 14, now we all see Taylor week in week out and no he offers more than just goals, but they will go by stats and for attackers more often its most goals scored.

Although Eaves has 19 so not sure how he misses out haha maybe they didnt want to include someone so close to relegation lol

To be honest I don't think any Charlton player should be in there... Yes we see our players every week but we don't see those that have been included every week - When you go down to the bare bones the stats for those players that have been included (and I don't just mean assists / tackles / goals) they're probably better than any of ours

Could argue that the likes of Bauer | Sarr | Aribo | Cullen | Bielik deserve a place on their stats but injuries have probably stopped that happening, whereas I imagine that those eleven have played most of their games?

And there in lies our biggest problem this season -Injuries to key players.My guess is that Luton in particular have not had so many injuries- hope Biliek will still play apart the season for us.We have a strong squad now and  very chance of still going up via the playoffs 
  • Options
    Interesting numbers, was Grant ever present (or nearly) until he left?
  • Options
    Interesting numbers, was Grant ever present (or nearly) until he left?
    Missed AFC Wimbledon and Gillingham due to a hamstring injury

Started every game apart from Luton | Walsall | Coventry (all away)
  • Options
    Because I was curious by my own second paragraph here are the League One appearances per player

Gotta say its impressive how Bowyer has kept us in touch seeing that the likes of Barnsley and Luton have had very constant squad this season - 39-games of course being the maximum any player could have played this season so far

Strikers
    James Collins | John Marquis: 38
    Aiden McGeady: 29
    --------------------------------
    Lyle Taylor: 34

Midfield
    Alex Mowatt: 39
    Cameron McGeehan: 32
    Herbie Kane: 33
    Josh Cullen: 21
    Joe Aribo: 28
    Krystian Bielik: 27

Defence
    James Justin: 36
    Matt Clarke | Ethan Pinnock: 39
    Jack Stacey: 38
    Patrick Bauer: 28
    Naby Sarr: 29
    Thanks for sharing these stats mate, very interesting. You have to wonder where we would be if the midfielders and defenders you mention had all played 30+ games like the opposition.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Would we swap Marquis for Taylor? I wouldn't swap our centre halves with the ones on there either. And which one of those selected would we swap with Aribo, Cullen, Williams or Bielik?
    I'd swap places in the league for sure.
    If we have so many better players than the other 5 and many think Bowyer is doing a great job.
    How do we explain being out of the running for the automatics ?

Plus, how many full live games have people seen of the other 5, in order to make a valid judgement ?
  • Options
    I read this a.m. that Kane is injured and will probably miss the rest of the season with a groin injury (bit young for that ?).. not 'Arry, the Donc midfielder on loan from Liverpool
  • Options
    I read this a.m. that Kane is injured and will probably miss the rest of the season with a groin injury (bit young for that ?).. not 'Arry, the Donc midfielder on loan from Liverpool
    https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-rovers-major-injury-blows-for-two-key-men-1-9668508

Yeah out for six weeks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/doncaster-rovers-major-injury-blows-for-two-key-men-1-9668508

Yeah out for six weeks
    against us at Donny he was anonymous and was replaced .. could have been an early indicator of the injury but I thought at the time .. what IS all the fuss about .. but he's a scouser and they are always too highly regarded it seems
  • Options
    I'd swap places in the league for sure.
    If we have so many better players than the other 5 and many think Bowyer is doing a great job.
    How do we explain being out of the running for the automatics ?

Plus, how many full live games have people seen of the other 5, in order to make a valid judgement ?
    I don't think it is too difficult to explain. The squad is unbalanced and injuries in certain areas affect it too much. We have had good players throughout Roland's reign but this has always been to problem.
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor has 34 appearances this season, directly involved in 24 goals, 14 scored, 10 assists.

John Marquis has 37 appearances this season, directly involved in 20 goals, 18 scored, 2 assists.

We also know how much else Taylor adds to the team defensively, in dragging opponents out of position to allow space for others etc.

My point is, I wouldn’t have a problem if he wasn’t in the team of the year if another player was in it, but as it is Marquis I have a problem as Taylor adds so much more to us than Marquis does to Doncaster.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sage said:
    Lyle Taylor has 34 appearances this season, directly involved in 24 goals, 14 scored, 10 assists.

John Marquis has 37 appearances this season, directly involved in 20 goals, 18 scored, 2 assists.

We also know how much else Taylor adds to the team defensively, in dragging opponents out of position to allow space for others etc.

My point is, I wouldn’t have a problem if he wasn’t in the team of the year if another player was in it, but as it is Marquis I have a problem as Taylor adds so much more to us than Marquis does to Doncaster.
    The assists ratio between the two players is ridiculous and really does prove your point of what else Taylor brings to a team on top of a healthy amount of goals. 

I doubt theres many main strikers in the top English leagues that have 10 assists this season. 

Edit: just checked

Prem: Salah has 8 assists, Aguero 7, Kane 6, Aubamayeng 5

Champ: Pukki 9, Sharp 3, Roofe 2, Rodriguez 5

League1: Collins 3, Moore 4, Lowe 6, Maja 2, 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sage said:

The assists ratio between the two players is ridiculous and really does prove your point of what else Taylor brings to a team on top of a healthy amount of goals. 

I doubt theres many main strikers in the top English leagues that have 10 assists this season. 

Edit: just checked

Prem: Salah has 8 assists, Aguero 7, Kane 6, Aubamayeng 5

Champ: Pukki 9, Sharp 3, Roofe 2, Rodriguez 5

League1: Collins 3, Moore 4, Lowe 6, Maja 2, 
    The assists from Taylor also go to show just how formidable his partnership was with Grant. But since the turn of the new year, Taylor has still assisted for Pratley away at Shrewsbury, and Reeves at home to Burton.

For me, there isn’t another striker in this league who is more influential than Taylor. We have scored 55 goals in the league, Taylor has scored 14 and assisted 10 of them. 43.6% of our goals as a direct influence of Taylor. How he isn’t above Marquis, or even in EFL Team of the Season is beyond me. 
  • Options
    It would be great to have two Taylors. He is everywhere on the pitch which probably costs him a few goals, but as the stats show, he creates goals too. He is the best striker in the league for me. You can also see he is physically strong and I think refs are very unfair on him. He bullies defenders and defenders try to stand up for themselves as they should, but when they cross the line a little, refs let them off.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Taylor has been hamstrung not just by his injuries but many (unfair?) yellows that have negated his effectiveness later in games.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    When I played against attackers who were stronger and quicker than me (sadly a fair number), I tried to even things up dishonestly. What seems to happen with Taylor is that defenders do this, and I don't blame them for it, but Taylor responds to that and gets booked. If the ref had played football, he would be able to get what is happening.

A brilliant case was at home to Oxford where the ref allowed a defender who was totally owned by Taylor to compete. 

One of the things I did when an opponent was quicker was to briefly hold their hand, The trick is to do it briefly as they tend to stop or slow down and retaliate. The way to play it was to carry on, but it is amazing how few did. Then they got in trouble with the ref. Proper professional defenders will have lots of better tricks. But it should be obvious to the ref as it is to fans, that Taylor is stronger and quicker and the defender can't handle it.