Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moths

Never had a problem with moths before. Noticed several flitting around curtains and in wardrobes over the last month. Apparently it is the lavae that feed on clothes and carpets so damage is probably already done. Have bought several types of traps that trap males and thus inhibit the breeding. Trapped about 12 moths so far. Anyone else experiencing this problem at the moment? Any tips on effective measures to combat and eradicate?

Comments

• Sounds like Roland's opened his wallet?
  • I use those traps, plus I always have moth killers in the wardrobe to protect my suits etc. Quite early in the year to have a moth problem though
  • First noticed moths in our bedroom 2 years ago (we've been living here 30 years). One small hole in the carpet, under the bed, and very little damage found to clothes.  Killed my first 2 moths of the year this morning - they're quite easy to see on our plain walls. The moth traps on their own aren't enough. We use a spray that contains transfluthrin (Acana carpet & fabric moth killer & freshener, available at Robert Dyas). To protect woolen clothes, wash them and put them in the freezer in an airtight bag for at least 48 hours (some say for one or two weeks). When you take them out, you can keep them in the airtight bag.
  • Same problem here.
    I have lavender moth killer things in cupboards and drawers BUT you have to replace them every couple of months.
  • I've been getting a few this year and last, they've cropped back up in the last couple of weeks again - very annoying. Adopted a 'shoot on site' rule for them last year and didn't find too many after a while but might pick up some spray as there's already a fair few of them about now.
  • Apparently mice are good at eating the moth larvae .......oh wait.
  • Useless at moths but Roland is even worse...  £70m!!!
  • They need to be treated over their life cycle (1 treatment per week, over 3 - 5 weeks)
  • Sponsored links:

• Balls
    Apparently the old type white moth balls shouldn't be used in bedrooms as they give off bad fumes.
  • Balls
    Apparently the old type white moth balls shouldn't be used in bedrooms as they give off bad fumes.
    And you don't want your balls giving off fumes in the bedroom... 
  • Treated a moth infestation in a lovely house over Holland Park once, 4 story and about 6 bedrooms. Was going round giving it a good dose when I noticed that the main infestation was in the felt on the back of an old tea tray that was leaned up against the inside of a wardrobe, so I gave it a good old dousing before moving on to the next room. Once I finished, I went round to do a last minute check of all the rooms and noticed the stain from the tray had leaked all over the cream carpet. Had to go outside and explain to the owner and her housekeeper, who were waiting to lock up and go out for the day, what had happened, housekeeper was more pissed off than the owner.
  • Apparently mice are good at eating the moth larvae .......oh wait.
    Sure there's a song in there somewhere....
  • I'm sure it won't surprise anyone that I love months. What beautiful creatures they are. Live and let live.

• They are pretty moths, Stig. Not the ugly little barstewards that eat your clothes and carpets.
  • edited April 2019
    Balls

• Seen & killed a couple today.....pesky blighters.
  • I think everything has it's place, @Stig (except ticks), but a common clothes moth for example can ruin someone's house if left untreated. 
  • Seen & killed a couple today.....pesky blighters.
    RIP

Driving accident? Or remain supporters? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't trust the way they move