Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Family days out in London

2»

Comments

• Options
    @North Lower Neil mate, a day out in London with a 4yr old can be done very easily on the cheap. Get the train into Charing X (most kids love train rides), walk past Trafalgar Square and spend a couple of hours in St James Park. Take a bag of bread and some nuts to feed the ducks, squirrels etc, there’s a good under fives playground down the far end by Buck House, have a picnic, walk over to Buck House to see where the Queen lives, see the soldiers etc. If you want to stretch it then walk up to Hamleys for four floors of a toy shop. 

4 years need quality time and interaction more than anything else. Good luck
    My favourite day out as a kid. I lived in Kennington so my grandfather used to make me walk there!
  • Options
      AFKABartram said:
    @North Lower Neil mate, a day out in London with a 4yr old can be done very easily on the cheap. Get the train into Charing X (most kids love train rides), walk past Trafalgar Square and spend a couple of hours in St James Park. Take a bag of bread and some nuts to feed the ducks, squirrels etc, there’s a good under fives playground down the far end by Buck House, have a picnic, walk over to Buck House to see where the Queen lives, see the soldiers etc. If you want to stretch it then walk up to Hamleys for four floors of a toy shop. 

And if you see the pelicans, you can tell them they've been to Florida ;)
  • Options

Alternatively, blow London out, get a decent permission out in the countryside, with a couple of flight ponds, and shoot some squirrels and duck.
  • Options
    Took my  3 and a half year old lad to the Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Plenty to keep kids occupied there and the ticket (£18) is valid for a year so not bad value if you go two or three times. One to put on the list for future school holidays.
  • Options
    Took my  3 and a half year old lad to the Transport Museum in Covent Garden. Plenty to keep kids occupied there and the ticket (£18) is valid for a year so not bad value if you go two or three times. One to put on the list for future school holidays.
    Typical Charlton

😉
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Yep, for a city farm it is decent enough and free but there isn’t loads of stuff, wiuld maybe take up 45mins-1hour plus a cafe on site.  There is a riding school which i assume you could maybe book before (never tried).  My kids still enjoy the experience of sitting at the front of the dlr thinking they are driving it en route.

Crystal Palace farm is small but decent and free and could be paired with Hornimans if you have a car, plus there are some dinosaurs to look at in the park, a playground and used to be peddelos.

neither Mudchute or CP farm beat the likes of Godstone farm, Hobbledown (Epsom) or the best in good weather, Drusilla’s (down near the coast) which is excellent - think zoo/fair ground rides/water park/adventure playground.
    I'm in my mid fifties and still love doing that! Let's face there's only two categories of people that don't: Those that ground down by a daily commute to Canary Wharf and those who were completely soulless anyway.

How did it go, Neil? Did you visit the Horniman's? How did it go down?
    It's not until next week so still trying to decide!

My kids love sitting at the front of the DLR, still young enough to believe they are driving it if you tell them to push the handrail at the right time too.

We had my sis & BIL over on Friday and after a few drinks, my wife dared me to run to the front of the train one morning, get a kids steering wheel out of my bag and pretend I'm driving the train and make station announcements.

• Options
    Would also suggest the Aquarium for your daughter given her age. It may be busy so you may want to think about booking a slot
  • Options
    Some good options - aquarium and transport museum may be good choices if it rains!
  • Options
    Transport museum is good and the repeat entry is good value. Mine have been twice since last Aug and we’ll probably squeeze another in before the 12 months is up
  • Options
    Ding ding fares please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the zoo is hard to beat for a 4 year old.