Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Clayden (P3. released to Wealdstone)

Comments

• Options
    Very comfortable on the ball
  • Options
    Might just be me but not convinced. Might just be his resting b___ face 😃. 

He's improving. Just needs to be more productive with the ball seeing as he's defensively very vulnerable. 
  • Options
    More than happy for him to be this season's Cedric Evina.
  • Options
    Played very well. We need to see him again against Cambridge to suss if he can cover the LWB position.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Yeah he's impressed me when he's been called upon by the First Team this season.

Cant ask anymore than what he's done so far - But dont know if I'd want him to cover there for a large part of the season yet
    Looks more than competent as a back-up option. Has done well against both QPR and Plymouth now.
    He's done well but honestly with his age and inexperience I wouldn't necessarily be 100% getting another option in anyway, if only to make it that we CAN call on him as cover but we don't HAVE to.

Too much pressure, especially if he does unfortunately have a bad day or make a particularly disastrous mistake (as youth players sometimes do, it's quite natural) could set him back.

That said, he's done well enough that getting that extra cover has become more of an "ideal world" solution not an imminent crisis.
    Part of having a “pathway to the first team” is trusting young players with the responsibility of a significant role in the first team squad, and accepting that they will make the odd mistake but supporting them through it rather than castigating them when it happens. 
    Absolutely correct, though my concern would be more that as a younger player it would be his own confidence and self-belief that took a knock rather than any castigation from team mates or managers.

The other argument is potentially that by bringing in another possible option it raises Clayden's game as he then has to be the choice on merit and not simply by default.

I'm talking hypotheticals more than anything, honestly I am genuinely happy that he'll make a more than adequate option for the squad based on current evidence.
  • Options
    Played very well. We need to see him again against Cambridge to suss if he can cover the LWB position.
    We play wing backs?
  • Options
     Did well but not a full back. His defensive positioning was poor, he was in the wrong place and missed two routine defensive headers which gave possession to plymouth. If we do use him as a defender, this could be coached into him

looked good in the attacking third and linked up very nicely with Kirk 

overal, he deserves a thumbs up
  • Options
    Signed for Bromley on loan 😵‍💫
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ben Garner: "It's a great loan for him. It's perfect in terms of geography and location and it puts him close to us here.

"It's an opportunity for him to play week in, week out and develop, which is what he needs. He's had a good start to the season in terms of the appearances he's had for us. He needs to bridge that gap between where he is and being able to play consistently in League One.

"Playing in the National League for a good club like Bromley, who are doing really well, will hopefully push him on and allow him to go to another level in terms of his performances."

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I guess he sees Chin as a better backup full-back now. Even playing on his wrong side
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Imagine being a National League loan, we can recall at any time so no problem if Sessegnon gets injured.

Even then I imagine we'll stick Clare or Egbo at Left-Back first
    Some people thought he was the answer at left back. Not a left back and not a league 1 player (yet). Hopefully can go and really impress though.  
    Thought he started out well there, and felt he would be good as a backup Left-Back at most

He's regressed though and had to be used far too much
  • Options
    Good to see him move to a progressive club.

Didn't do Alfie Doughty any harm and Vennings is thriving there.
  • Options
    Surprised to see a player who is both left footed, and who can play left back (and left wing back) be let go, if I'm honest.
  • Options
    I think he is a player who plays his game and isn't far off. I like that and fully expect him to mkae it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Surprised to see a player who is both left footed, and who can play left back (and left wing back) be let go, if I'm honest.
    Why? He’s been absolutely dreadful, and cost us several goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's the only left footed option we have I believe. We are effectively giving up having a full back overlapping. this was when Kirk was at his best for Crewe btw. Sess always goes backwards and Chin, although probably better defensively, doesn't seem to offer much going forward. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    redman said:
    He's the only left footed option we have I believe. We are effectively giving up having a full back overlapping. this was when Kirk was at his best for Crewe btw. Sess always goes backwards and Chin, although probably better defensively, doesn't seem to offer much going forward. 
    Clayden isn't ready to play LB for us. This has been shown quite enough times 
    You could make that argument for most of the first team this season! 
  • Options
    2 weeks ago he was “good enough” to play for the Charlton first team …now he is at a non league club.  Good that he has been able to enhance his career so quickly. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    redman said:
    He's presumably one of the reasons we didn't sigh another LB in the summer...

I said it when Clayden was playing well, he was not ready positonally and tactically to play LB regularly for the first team. It's great that he's left footed and can overlap Kirk, but as soon as we were forced to defend on the back door his lack of experience at the position showed. 

This should have happened at the start of the season. If Deji isn't considered ready for the first team I don't see how you can say Clayden is ready. This should be good for his development and hopefully he can either have an impact in the second half or move to a League club on loan. 
  • Options
    Probably a good decision, he's been a liability and I can't see him getting much of a look in.
    If we need to recall him we can.
    Let's hope playing weekly will help his game.
    Liability????? He was excellent and never let the team down 
    Apart from the 2 goals at Bolton you mean?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Ben Garner: "It's a great loan for him. It's perfect in terms of geography and location and it puts him close to us here.

"It's an opportunity for him to play week in, week out and develop, which is what he needs. He's had a good start to the season in terms of the appearances he's had for us. He needs to bridge that gap between where he is and being able to play consistently in League One.

"Playing in the National League for a good club like Bromley, who are doing really well, will hopefully push him on and allow him to go to another level in terms of his performances."

Yeah

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danyang–Kunshan_Grand_Bridge
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Leuth said:
    redman said:
    He's presumably one of the reasons we didn't sigh another LB in the summer...

I said it when Clayden was playing well, he was not ready positonally and tactically to play LB regularly for the first team. It's great that he's left footed and can overlap Kirk, but as soon as we were forced to defend on the back door his lack of experience at the position showed. 

This should have happened at the start of the season. If Deji isn't considered ready for the first team I don't see how you can say Clayden is ready. This should be good for his development and hopefully he can either have an impact in the second half or move to a League club on loan. 
    He is also the reason we only signed Kirk as a left wing option last season and used Washington to fill in until we got him.

Obviously someone at the club is a massive fan, two managers didn't pick him and one has sent him to Bromley....

Not many players get that treatment at his age.  He isn't 18.

• Options
    Probably a good decision, he's been a liability and I can't see him getting much of a look in.
    If we need to recall him we can.
    Let's hope playing weekly will help his game.
    Liability????? He was excellent and never let the team down 
    He wasn’t excellent and cost us a number of goals. I’d agree in that he never let the team down in that he always did his best and the fact he was playing at all is down solely to TS underfunding the squad.