Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No more Champagne at FA Cup final

2»

Comments

• Options
    by 'non alcoholic' champagne do they mean lemonade?
    Oliveade
  • Options

"The FA will instead put a case of an alcohol-free champagne substitute in the winning dressing room so players can replicate those spraying celebrations.

The FA's decision is not believed to have been the result of complaints from teams or players in the past but prompted within the organisation.

Sportsmail understands the FA had considered implementing the change sooner but were fully aware of being branded 'party-poopers'."

The FA once again putting all their brain power into the stuff that really matters.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    You can get non alcoholic sparkling wine - I know because I bought some in Asda by accident thinking it was Prosecco. I was thinking of using it if the U18 team I manage win our cup final next week. 
  • Options

"The FA will instead put a case of an alcohol-free champagne substitute in the winning dressing room so players can replicate those spraying celebrations.

The FA's decision is not believed to have been the result of complaints from teams or players in the past but prompted within the organisation.

Sportsmail understands the FA had considered implementing the change sooner but were fully aware of being branded 'party-poopers'."

What a waste of space the FA are. With all that's wrong in top football all they can be seen to worry about is alcohol-free champagne. Someone is putting pressure on the chaps in the boardroom methinks. Here's a suggestion; let the club's supply their own champers... problem solved, after all what goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing room...and let's face it, most of it ends up over the players, not inside them!
  • Options
    It is a good spectacle watching the F1 podium, but it is a bit heartbreaking thinking how expensive the drink they are spraying around is. A cheap sparkling wine would do just as good a job and it offends the tight bastard inside of me!
  • Options

We have to be the most pathetic country in the world.

I'm moving to the US of A where peace, harmony and inclusivity reign.

• Options
    Wow. I make a one-line comment and this happens. 

It looks like the FA are being proactive in this move. It's not like Muslims are clamouring for this - @Big_Bad_World, you make the comment that it'd be the "least inclusive ones wanting inclusivity", which to me, seems the wrong way to look at it. 

I think it's more the FA trying to be nice, and people having a go at religion/Islam or whatever have the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Just use the bubbly non alcoholic stuff they give at the Bahrain and UAE GP's
    Hang on, are they not replacing the alcoholic bubbly with this?! That would be ludicrous! There has to be champagne (alcoholic or no) and some form of spray! If the FA have done away with the bubbly altogether then I am outraged!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    sam3110 said:
    Just use the bubbly non alcoholic stuff they give at the Bahrain and UAE GP's
    Hang on, are they not replacing the alcoholic bubbly with this?! That would be ludicrous! There has to be champagne (alcoholic or no) and some form of spray! If the FA have done away with the bubbly altogether then I am outraged!
    The rose water is carbonated and does spray. It is how F1 deals with the issue. seems a bit over the top from the FA though!
  • Options
    Good. Don’t want that French crap over here. A nice cup of tea would probably be much more welcome. If very hot then maybe a glass of homemade lemonade.

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that I am much more in touch with what players would like to drink after a match than anyone at the FA!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pathetic decision and yet another example of the minority getting the nod ahead of the majority. If your religion, beliefs or age prevent you from drinking alcohol then don't drink it. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Good. Don’t want that French crap over here. A nice cup of tea would probably be much more welcome. If very hot then maybe a glass of homemade lemonade.

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that I am much more in touch with what players would like to drink after a match than anyone at the FA!

Maybe, but when I was playing - back in the day - the last thing players wanted was tea or bloody homemade lemonade.
  • Options
    Pathetic decision and yet another example of the minority getting the nod ahead of the majority. If your religion, beliefs or age prevent you from drinking alcohol then don't drink it. 

Absolutely spot on. Let's terminate this discussion now.
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Redrobo said:

Maybe, but when I was playing - back in the day - the last thing players wanted was tea or bloody homemade lemonade.
    so the FA should provide all the players with a nelson and a line?
  • Options
    by 'non alcoholic' champagne do they mean lemonade?
    Yeah, then just hit your head against a brick wall for 20 minutes to get the same headache
  • Options
    Personally think religion is a massive stain on modern civilisation and the world would be infinitely better off without it.

That said, I do respect people's rights to practise it.

Cricket have it right. They hold the champagne off until they've taken a photo. Than Moeen Ali pisses off and they can all go nuts, to celebrate in a traditional way. 

Don't have a problem with that. Removing it all together is absolute nonsense though.
  • Options
    This is one of those things I couldn't give a shit about until it happened, I still don't give much of a shit about it. I don't know what it achieves though apart from antagonising people. 

If it's the alcohol factor then go the whole hog and don't sell the stuff in the stadium or take any money from alcohol companies sponsoring the event. I listened to 5 minutes of Jim White ranting like an unhinged reformed, born again preacher of bollock's and whilst I am aware him and his ilk exist to be contrary to get people to phone in and get excited on a premium phone number a winner or winners spraying champagne about as part of a celebration isn't the root of all evil. He had a massive problem with boozing and no longer drinks, fine, good on him. Most of us can have a drink without going crazy or starting an addiction and I'm confident nobody has ever begun that addiction from watching John Terry spray fizzy wine all over his teammates
  • Options
    addick05 said:
    Redrobo said:

I fear I may have wooshed you.

Nothing more welcome than a few glasses of ale until you can’t stand up anymore.
  • Options
    Once we all become brain washed religious automatons we won't have this problem. It's the rational free thinkers amongst us that hold our society back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will be Formula 1 next.

No champagne on the podium Lewis, spray this oxygen free vegetable water over the runner up and 3rd placed non-gender specific individual instead.

God forbid the day they ban the darts’ walk on girls as well.
  • Options
    Once we all become brain washed religious automatons we won't have this problem. It's the rational free thinkers amongst us that hold our society back.
    Amen brother 
  • Options
    My political views are centre left but ridiculous decisions like this give the far right the ammunition for their cause.

Pandering to the beliefs of a minority doesn’t bode well.
  • Options
    It’s more pandering than appeasing though.

As pointed out, as far as is known, it’s not been requested by anyone, but once you start pandering, where does it stop?

Yes some players have refused it due to their beliefs, fair enough (although I read one funny Twitter post that Yaya Toure refused it but was done for drink driving a while later, don’t know how true that is).

What next, no Bacon at FA breakfasts due to religious beliefs? 

• Options
    I suspect this misses the point. Most of the champagne isn't drunk it is sprayed around. I remember seeing the England cricket team being given champagne on the rostrum and being encouraged to do this. Moeen and Rashid quickly exited and were effectively left out. It's one thing not having to drink champagne it's another not being part of the celebration. Their choice, yes, but hardly great for team spirit.