Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chinese Acupuncture

My wife is suffering from severe thigh pain and despite having an MRI scan and seeing several consultants she is no nearer to finding a solution.
The latest suggestion is that it could be meralgia paresthetica and I am thinking of giving acupuncture a try.
Can anyone recommend someone in the South London/North Kent area from personal experience. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• I can't suggest anywhere, Unless you're willing to travel a little further but it's well worth trying and really does workn
  • How is you giving acupuncture a try going to help your poor wife?
  • I had that once, it just got better after a time. 
  • A Chinese doctor in Prague cured my RSI (tennis elbow, caused by misuse of laptop computer, general bad posture) which plagued me for four years, and which all more conventional Western approaches failed to rid me of. Later I got to see the  world famous Czech professor of physiotherapy, Dr Karel Lewit, who continued practising into his 92nd year. He was a man of forthright views who waged war on what he saw as quack remedies such as chiropractic. When I asked him about Chinese medicine in this field he said "ah, they have 9,000 years of evidence based practice, of course we can learn from this". 

But, there are a lot of well meaning Western doctors who might not have sufficient experience iwht Cinese medicine practice, so my advice would be if possible find a Chinese-staffed practice or one which really has many years of experience. Also, if they do it properly, it does take time. 
  • In the UK, you’ll find good and bad. My wife is Chinese and is very sceptical of our local “Chinese Medicine Clinic” over here, but would have no hesitation in using one in China (they have western medicine clinics as well as Chinese medicine clinics over there).

so... you are right to ask for recommendations 
  • McBobbin said:
    I had that once, it just got better after a time. 
    Did you take medication ?
  • How is you giving acupuncture a try going to help your poor wife?
    Very helpful. 😄
  • There is a local place that i have used before but was a long time ago. I found her very helpful.  It's on Eglinton Hill.

https://www.acupuncturegreenwichandbexley.co.uk/

• Curb_It said:
    There is a local place that i have used before but was a long time ago. I found her very helpful.  It's on Eglinton Hill.

https://www.acupuncturegreenwichandbexley.co.uk/

Thanks Brenda
  • McBobbin said:
    Did you take medication ?
    No. Essentially it was nerve damage on the outside of my thigh... it seems the reason was the wallet in my pocket of my jeans was rubbing my leg! The doctor basically just told me to put the wallet in a different pocket, and it cleared up after a week or so when the nerve healed. I'd never heard of it, but as soon as I described the symptoms, the doctor knew what it was. It was presumably a mild enough case. Might be worth seeing if there's anything putting pressure on the area, such as tight clothing.

I don't recall taking anything, but I suppose acupuncture or pain killers will address the symptoms, then try to work out what might have caused the problem to begin with.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the best AT, I hope you continue to feel the benefit of the treatment and life improves for you x
  • All the best AT, I hope you continue to feel the benefit of the treatment and life improves for you x
    Ah bless you ESM! x

• edited June 2023
    My wife is suffering from severe thigh pain and despite having an MRI scan and seeing several consultants she is no nearer to finding a solution.
    The latest suggestion is that it could be meralgia paresthetica and I am thinking of giving acupuncture a try.
    Can anyone recommend someone in the South London/North Kent area from personal experience. Thank you in advance.
    Coincidentally, I recently diagnosed myself with this. It's a strange stinging sensation down the side of the thigh and lasts anything from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. I was getting it a couple of times a week, but not had it for a while now. Be interesting to see if acupuncture works.

• McBobbin said:
    I think that's how mine is going
  • As others have said, make sure you research properly....you'll find a lot of pricks in the industry 
  • Pricks....Wang....Oo-er missus.  :D