Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

jason roberts

edited June 2007 in Rumours
linked with him as a possible bent replacement

roberts inbound?

Comments

• I think he would be a good signing so long as he is fit. Obviously a completely different player to Bent so unfair to compare him to Darren if he did sign
  • excellent signing if it happened in my opinion
  • Total crap. He did well at Blackburn last year and proved himself as Premiership material. Even if he were available, which he is not, then there is no way he would drop down a division, why would he? People need to start using their brains on these rumours. We have been relegated, everyone we have signed so far has been from CCC or Div 1 and that will be the case for most of the rest of those we bring in apart from maybe a couple of Prem fringe players. Premiership players of proven ability like Roberts would cost way more in wages than we could or would pay. Get real!
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Total crap. He did well at Blackburn last year and proved himself as Premiership material. Even if he were available, which he is not, then there is no way he would drop down a division, why would he? People need to start using their brains on these rumours. We have been relegated, everyone we have signed so far has been from CCC or Div 1 and that will be the case for most of the rest of those we bring in apart from maybe a couple of Prem fringe players. Premiership players of proven ability like Roberts would cost way more in wages than we could or would pay. Get real!
    Aaaaaand... toys back in pram!

Seriously though, I make you right. I think Roberts would be an excellent signing, and I always rated him more highly than Ellington when they were a partnership, but we are highly unlikely to get him - simply because of the wages. Rightly or wrongly (quite rightly, IMO) the board are not going to start gambling on getting us back into the prem and saddling us with a salary nightmare if we don't make it. They know full well that even if we DO make it up next season, most of the good work of the last seven years is going to need to be re-done as we have been relegated in the worst season possible. By the time we get back up, we'll need to pay average players - who might currently be on about 12 grand a week in our wage structure - 35 grand just to keep them interested.

A salary cap can't come soon enough for me...
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Total crap. He did well at Blackburn last year and proved himself as Premiership material. Even if he were available, which he is not, then there is no way he would drop down a division, why would he? People need to start using their brains on these rumours. We have been relegated, everyone we have signed so far has been from CCC or Div 1 and that will be the case for most of the rest of those we bring in apart from maybe a couple of Prem fringe players. Premiership players of proven ability like Roberts would cost way more in wages than we could or would pay. Get real!

what an amazing overreaction. Are we talking about the same Jason Roberts who only got 4 PL goals last season? if that makes you a proven prem player then Marcus Bent must feel aggrieved to be where he is! One decent season in the prem doesn't make you a proven prem striker, just ask Marcus Stewart. If Roberts wants a move down south then where could he go? I can only think of Fulham or ccc sides such as us and watford. I don't mind Roberts but if Benty leaves i can think of a few more suitable strikers who i would rather fill his boots.
  • He only scored 4 goals last season because he only played 17 games because of a bad injury, the year before he also scored well for Wigan with 14 Premiership goals (that is as many as Bent this season) and they were gutted when he left for Blackburn, so I think its more than reasonable to call him a proven Prem player after 1 1/2 decent seasons, don't you? Bent has only had two seasons himself in the top flight.

He tore us apart with his power and pace at Ewood Park and is a million time better than Marcus Bent, there is no comparison between the two players. He also played very well for West Brom in the 2002/03 Premiership season, he did not score many but he was a real handful.

You are right in your assessment of his future though, Fulham would be his clear choice although West Ham might also be interested in him as a squad player to replace Harewood and Reading would have to be in the mix too. I would love for us to get him (he chose Blackburn over us last season) but for the time being he is out of our price range.
  • i;ve heard Fulham have had a £2.2m bid accepted....
  • Say we got rid of Marcus to Birmingham, then Roberts would be a good buy for 1.5 million. Never be a replacement for Bent. Give it two years and Varney will be as good as Benty :D (he says with hes fingers crossed)
  • Maybe Cory Gibbs could play up front : - )
  • Didn't you mean 'Maybe Cory Gibbs could play.'
  • Sponsored links:

• Henry, if Gibbs starts the season in the first XI I will buy you multiple beers in the Bugle before a game.

I bloody hope I'm right!! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: tom_cafc[/cite]Didn't you mean 'Maybe Cory Gibbs could play.'

LOL