Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The sale of T.Henry will effect Dazza's

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
price IMO. Now gives clubs who are after Dazza a chance to say "Well Henry only went for 16 million so 12 is easily enough for Bent"... "You want more money for Darren Bent than Arsenal got for Thierry Henry"

Unless Arsenal themselves start a bidding war with Spurs for Bent I think we will find that we will find it very difficult to justify we deserve the same price for Benty as Thierry Henry.

We may end up regretting the 17 million and mullins deal that never happend.

Thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    I see what you mean but Henry is 29 and so not as good an "investment" as Darren who is 23
  • Options
    i dont think the henry deal will effect dazza's price massively but it could go down a bit i suspect, rather than up. our problem could lie in the fact that benty is an arsenal fan and if they come in with a low ball bid it could massively effect our chances of getting as much money as possible. the henry deal does make you think that the phone call bent recieved after talking to west ham may not have been from spurs.
  • Options
    Very good points Mart77.

I always thought it wasn't from Spurs anyway just alot of "people in the know" seemed to think it was. I believed it was from Liverpool, Arsenal or Valencia. As vancouver says Bentys 23 but Henry... is Henry he will be world class at 29 or 35.

I can see that Arsenal Loan thingy for Bent with Alexandre Song more and more likely now..
  • Options
    i 'suspect' the deal with Spurs has already been agreed, and its just personal terms that need to be ironed out.

though it really wouldn't suprise me if Spurs suddenly tried to change the goalposts...
  • Options
    And what if Dazza decides to hold out for the Arse bid?
  • Options
    I seriously don;t think wenger would bid 16mill for benty - could be wrong though
  • Options
    Who else is he going to get then? Proven P'ship scorer and all that?
  • Options
    Bent is worth the £16m, but Henry is arguably the one going on the cheap - class player despite recent injuries, and still capable of turning a game on its head almost single handedly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Bent is worth the £16m, but Henry is arguably the one going on the cheap - class player despite recent injuries, and still capable of turning a game on its head almost single handedly.

I think you are spot on-

And INHO, the Premiership will be a much poorer place without Henry.
  • Options
    The Henry deal is very different to Bent's deal. For a start, Henry will be THIRTY on August 17th, that's very late in the day to be going for a big fee because this is his last move.

Secondly, Henry is suffering from quite serious sciatica in his back, that is a condition that is not going to be healed just managed and treated so he is damaged goods, albeit very talented.

Third, we have already seen the best of Henry, is he really going to get better than he was when he was 26/27, you'd have to think not, surely.

Fourth, Henry relies on his pace massively, no player gets quicker at 30 so his peak is over and he is on the way down as a player so 16 million is an awful lot of money when you look at it on those terms.

By contrast Benty is 23, no ongoing injuries (his knee just needs rest) and only going to get better in a good side because he has been playing in a shite side for the last two years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry's price is skewed lower because he is out of contract next summer.
  • Options
    Yes, good point AFKA, I forgot about that! That makes 16 million sound even more dough when you think about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Henry's price is skewed lower because he is out of contract next summer.

i think he signed a 4 year deal last summer, around the same time as Bent. just shows how much can change in a year!
  • Options
    I think a move to the Arse would be fantastic for Benty and i wouldn't begrudge him it at all.

In fact if we only got £10 mill for him from them i'd be happy to let him go.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]I think a move to the Arse would be fantastic for Benty and i wouldn't begrudge him it at all.

In fact if we only got £10 mill for him from them i'd be happy to let him go.

i'd love bent to go to arsenal but let's not give him away! i think things will start to speed up now that pre-season training starts in about a week.
  • Options
    10 million !!!! if they let him go for that there should be a revolution next season or we might aswell give up and go and play in the BLue Square League.
  • Options
    I don't think a move to Arsenal would be a good idea for Bent. He is going to get constantly compared to Henry in every match he plays which is going to mean a lot of extra pressure on him. If he has a bad start to the season and doesn't score straight away then the Arsenal fans may use him as their target of frustration.

If he goes to Spurs he won't have that added pressure and then will be able to play more freely.
  • Options
    with the players they have at arsenal and the style of play they employ bent could fill the spot henry leaves behind with ease...if he can get 20 goals for us, the chances arsenal create would push bent into the 40 goals a season category...spurs would be a backward step for him...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]with the players they have at arsenal and the style of play they employ bent could fill the spot henry leaves behind with ease...if he can get 20 goals for us, the chances arsenal create would push bent into the 40 goals a season category...spurs would be a backward step for him...
    i'm not sure about this. Arsenal are not the typical "through ball" or "over the top" team which suits Darren's game. With us, defences would not sit back and therefore the space behind them were left to him exploit. This wouldnt happen with the "bigger" teams and i think his game would have to be adjusted quite significantly.
  • Options
    Bent is worth what anyone is willing to pay. West Ham were Willing to pay nigh on £19m Spurs seem ready to pay £15m. Think we should be grateful to get that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry is crocked, permanently on pain killers, hence the price - if he was fully fit he'd go for a lot more, look at Shevchenko's price..