Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamie Oliver

2»

Comments

• Options
    Don't really get the Jamie hate.
    Always tries to make food fun, flavoursome and nutritious.
    Used whatever influence he has to persuade the nation away from the American model of junk food, obesity and type 2 diabetes.
    Good luck to him.
  • Options
    Maybe it failed because of what he has become. Pompous little do gooder prat preaching to people what they should eat & raising revenue for the government ie sugar tax (hypocrite as he apparently sold full fat fizzys himself) costing the public money just to benefit himself as in recognition for a possible knighthood!!!!
    I can’t argue with anyone who finds Oliver irritating. But I do think he’s sincere and believes in what he’s doing. He’s absolutely right about obesity and getting children access to better, fresher food and I’d imagine he’s saved many children from heart disease of diabetes.

The sugar tax is an extremely good thing too. Perhaps it has made money for the government, but it’s certainly driven down consumption of what are atrociously unhealthy drinks. 

The drawback is is the proliferation of Zero sugar drinks, and I suspect the replacement ingredients - aspartame and so on - are just as bad for us but in a different way. 
  • Options
    They changed the IrnBru recipe because of that prick!
  • Options
    And sales have increased!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Maybe it failed because having a Chef's name on the sign upped expectations beyond the capabilities of what was effectively a chain. That isn't to say the food was rubbish, but maybe that it wasn't WOW! I am half Italian and used to watch my Grandmother cook when I was a boy on holiday. She was an Italian Mama and I genuinely pity anybody who hasn't tasted the food of an Italian Mama.

I recall asking her why her food tasted so much better than any other Italian food I had tasted in England. She told me the most important thing was the freshness of the ingredients. I think this is where the chains suffer a bit. 
  • Options
    From utterly revolting to merely disgusting?
  • Options
    I'd ban it. It gives the nation a bad name. It is one of the most disgusting substances known to man.
  • Options
    I'd ban it. It gives the nation a bad name. It is one of the most disgusting substances known to man.
    Someone’s obviously never drank it with Jack Daniels
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, he seems a decent bloke. He won't be suffering at all financially. It isn't about him, people are losing their jobs.
  • Options
    I'll never forgive his unjust crusade against the humble Turkey Twizzler
  • Options
    I don’t dislike Jamie, in fact what he did for the kiddies school dinners was brilliant.

I just feel a lot more sorry the likes of those in car manufacturers losing their jobs or steel workers in Scunthorpe, as oppose to already rich celebs who won’t even lose a minute of sleep.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    In this country, we have developed a poor food culture. You wouldn't get an Italian eating reclaimed meat Turker Twizzlers or Dinosaurs. Oliver challenged that. Ultimately it is about our health and that of our Children. You go to an Italian supermarket and one thing that will shock you is the tomatoes. There will be variations that you will have never seen before, and they are irregular shapes. They are all about what they taste like and we are about what they look like.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Maybe it failed because of what he has become. Pompous little do gooder prat preaching to people what they should eat & raising revenue for the government ie sugar tax (hypocrite as he apparently sold full fat fizzys himself) costing the public money just to benefit himself as in recognition for a possible knighthood!!!!
    Someone had a bad meal in Jamie’s Italian ....
    Well he was known as the naked chef.
  • Options
    Got told this on good authority. Many years ago, British rail had their own customer canteen in Kings Cross. I think it was called travellers fare or something like that. One of the staff was sacked for w****ng in the sarnies! 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Got told this on good authority. Many years ago, British rail had their own customer canteen in Kings Cross. I think it was called travellers fare or something like that. One of the staff was sacked for w****ng in the sarnies! 
    Is lunch ready?
    The BR employee answered, “ Getting there.”
  • Options
    Do you want mayo in your egg sandwich?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    His restaurant empire has gone tits

Never ate in one personally but surprised he owned the whole business, I thought he was just fronting it
    I read that a lot of the restaurants were franchised, but that he also owns a few directly, and they should stay open.
  • Options
    He's been shafted by the likes of Pizza Express, ASK, Bella Italia, Zizzi's, F&B and Carravagios.

I get E Mails from this group on an almost daily basis with offers of20%, 25% or 30% off the food bill. Tempts people in from other chains.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He should have stuck with just a few Fifteen restaurants. They helped give young unemployed people a job and a chance to become a decent chef.

• Options
    IT_Andy said:

He should have stuck with just a few Fifteen restaurants. They helped give young unemployed people a job and a chance to become a decent chef.

It's always down to over expanding and losing control of the business.
  • Options
    overpriced pasta dishes.....the mark up on any pasta dish is obscene given how cheap and relatively simple the dishes are.
  • Options
    Just one part of his empire, he won't go hungry.
    Not when he can rustle up a tasty meal from leftovers in 15 minutes. Bish bash bosh.