Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"THE GREATEST GAME" - CHARLTON V SUNDERLAND 1998 - SUPPORTER MEMORIES

13»

Comments

• And now it’s the Friday before the main event and I am back to being full of anticipation and nerves not sure if they are fear or excitement 

will go over and see @DaveMehmet tomorrow showing his pride and joy at the Enfield car pageant before going home for a nightvofcno sleep and constant replaying 98 and whatever other playoff game I can find on the Telly 

COYR we are going to do it again 

revenge or repeat 

Repeat all day long 
  • And now it’s the Friday before the main event and I am back to being full of anticipation and nerves not sure if they are fear or excitement 

will go over and see @DaveMehmet tomorrow showing his pride and joy at the Enfield car pageant before going home for a nightvofcno sleep and constant replaying 98 and whatever other playoff game I can find on the Telly 

revenge or repeat 

Repeat all day long 

I might bring my car too!

See you tomorrow mate.

• edited May 2019
    Some great stories 

Sunday will be emotional for me as it’s the last game I went to with my dad before he passed (1998 Wembley)

Will be there with his grandson and will be thinking of him 

Not sure my ticker can take penalties again 😂
  • BDLBDL
    edited May 2019
    AFKA - Is it ok if we use this tonight on the radio?

@PeteF and me on Maritime Radio from 9pm - Great Charlton related music and some memories of 98.

Hope as may of you can join us toinght.

http://www.maritimeradio.co.uk/
  • BDL said:
    AFKA - Is it ok if we use this tonight on the radio?

@PeteF and me on Maritime Radio from 9pm - Great Charlton related music and some memories of 98.

Hope as may of you can join us toinght.

http://www.maritimeradio.co.uk/
    No problem @BDL
  • “My wife went on holiday without me!” – Charlton legend Steve Brown on his holiday gaffe for 1998 play-off final

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/986413729?-11197:833
  • Been some great recollections from players that you wouldnt expect (i.e. Bowen | Gray | Clark)

Question though; In the modern game (or even back then) does anyone think the Rufus' goal shouldnt have stood? - i.e. Its a great bit of play from Bright but he clearly obstructs Perez (Surprised none of the players, even looking back, dont question the decision)... Of course its something thats happened so cant dwell but if that were to happen to Phillips on Sunday, would we be pissed if a foul wasnt given or correct call?
  • Sponsored links:

revenge or repeat 

Repeat all day long 

I might bring my car too!

See you tomorrow mate.

It’s the way he tells ‘em. 

• I have two regrets from 1998 that I really hope to put right this year!!

(1) That I get plenty of photos of the day, I've got nothing to look back on at all bar my own memory which am sure will fade as I get older
    (2) Its out of my hands but if we do win... I aint leaving my seat until those players have well and truly left the pitch!!
    Thinking back to 98, cameraphones didn't exist then, or for indeed digital cameras either! A very different world to today when there will be thousands of photos taken by spectators
    Digital cameras had existed for a while by 1998, and people had been uploading pictures with them, but we on our way to Wembley (my knees have gone all trembly) so who cares?
  • No room for mine mate (it won't be very long!)
    I bet you don’t say that to all the girls. 
  • Went to the game on Medway branch coaches with my mum, dad and brother. Also had a load of non Charlton mates with us that had managed to get tickets.

Remember the elation on of that first goal and then the continual gut punches when Sunderland scored. Wasnt helped at 2-1 when 2 Sunderland supporting ladies (openly in their colours so well done to the stewards) started celebrating, laughing and goading the fans. To this day my mate says my 5ft mum absolutely losing her shit at them was one of the scariest things he'd ever seen! Thankfully they were either ejected or kept quiet after that as didn't see them celebrating again.

Nicky Sumerbee's goal was the worst as I really thought that was that. We couldn't come back again but then Sir Clive scored that magical goal.

By the time we started pens me and my brother were emotional wrecks. My legs had gone completely and my brother kept disappearing down the stairs as he couldn't face watching it. When it got to 7-6 I remember shouting "this is it, we were going to win it" just because it wasTHAT scoreline. When Sasa saved it I remember a brief pause for my brain to process what that actually meant. Yes he saved it! We've won! Holy shit were in the premier league! Then I started jumping around like lunatic.

After that I dissolved into tears alongside one of our Medway stalwarts Kev Banks. When I regained composure I just remember walking on sunshine blaring out and having the biggest smile on my face.

On the coach back the atmosphere was so muted. Everyone was exhausted, no singing or shouting and when we got back to Medway there was no chance I'd be going on the piss to celebrate. Just one drink if I remember correctly!

I'll always look back now on that being my greatest day as a Charlton fan (alongside 5th December 92) but I hated the game during it! I'll gladly take a nice 2-0 win this time. No emotional rollercoasters please!
  • Unfortunately a man down for this one.
    Ironically last time around we lost another member of our team in that season.
    RIP PAUL WALSH & DHESI

• Lester there as well.
  • Dean C, John C, John H, Tony P, Dhesi, Eameon M, and Billy S
  • edited May 2019
    My own overriding memory of the day was hitting the British Oak in the evening afterwards and feeling utterly drained. 

It was a remarkable day. I'd been married (to the fruitloop for those with good memories) exactly one month - and for the rest of the marriage I remembered my anniversary by referring to 25 May 1998, not the other way round. She joined me and a group of friends and family on the coach to the ground, and arriving I recall having some great and friendly banter and some photos with several Mackems. Set the scene.

Won't bother describing the game, but just to say that it played havoc with the emotions and I don't think I've ever celebrated anything before or since as I celebrated Gray's penalty. We were in the Premier League, which had seemed so distant previously.

I do remember one of my mates going home after extra time because he'd just had twins and his wife was at home with them with a promise he'd be home at a certain time. Feel sure she'd have understood but whilst bemused felt quite impressed at his commitment to his family. 

I don't remember the coach journey home. In the evening I sat there with my pint, completely exhausted and celebrated out. Definitely one of the best days of my life, the best game of football I've ever seen, and whilst feeling genuinely sorry for the Mackems we needed that much more than they did. 

Here's to a comfortable 2-0 Addicks win tomorrow... 

• Sponsored links:

• Enlightening reading. All this makes me wonder if a book could be made of memories of the fans, not just of that match, but of the whole history of the club as far back as memories go.
  • Enlightening reading. All this makes me wonder if a book could be made of memories of the fans, not just of that match, but of the whole history of the club as far back as memories go.
    Would be a very good idea if you could find a publisher, am sure plenty on here would contribute

This one already exists about the match, this copy is currently lying on my sofa

• Sky Sports showing reminiscences of the 1998 game at the mo.
  • rina said:
    Enlightening reading. All this makes me wonder if a book could be made of memories of the fans, not just of that match, but of the whole history of the club as far back as memories go.

This one already exists about the match, this copy is currently lying on my sofa

The sequel, "...and back again" came out a year later.  It didn't sell very well. 
  • Remember this one in far more detail than the 2019 version. Probably helped that I was 15 and not drinking from 10am back then.