Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thierry Henry..

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Best player to ever grace the Premiership ?

Comments

• Options
    Must be close i think.

In terms of entertainment, skill, great goals, genuine love for the club and a certain va va voom nobody comes close.

Shearer was ok, scored loads of goals (none will ever catch up with him in premiership goals) but lacked anything extra, Giggs has played every season and has been largely immense.

I think every fan of every club will admit that its a big shame to lose him from our shores.
  • Options
    with no direct interest, i was certainly looking to seeing premiership games / highlight shows an awful lot more this season from a neutral perspective.

Am gutted he is leaving. Has skill and a turn of pace like i've never seen before, and scores the most majestic goals. Will be a massive, massive loss to the Premiership, and i wonder whether this may be the start of the best players deserting the Prem for La Liga.
  • Options
    a sheer delight to watch and he could play the beautiful game
  • Options
    No Thomas Brolin was.
  • Options
    Up there with another ex gooner in Dennis Bergkamp as well.
  • Options
    I think Cantona was better and more influential.

And to think that he was considered a flop a juventus and seem as a waste of £10m for the first few months at Arsenal.
  • Options
    There were better all round players in the Premier League than Thierry Henry. He was a flash git with the ball, couldn't do anything without it, couldn't head a ball, had a sulk when things weren't going his way and he couldn't do it against the top clubs. Theres a few players better than him. Bergkamp, Zola, Scholes, Giggs, Roy Keane, Tony Adams, Alan Shearer, Vieria, Beckham, Schmeichel to name a few of the top of my head.
  • Options
    So you wouldn't have Henry in your top ten of Premiership players ???
  • Options
    Neither Henry or Cantona were natural strikers / goalscorers, yet...

Henry 369 app 226 goals

Cantona 182 app 80 goals

Henry has twice the appearances and two and a half times the amount of goals.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]So you wouldn't have Henry in your top ten of Premiership players ???

Not sure if I would if you are picking a team as I want Cantona, Shearer and Bergamp up front.

If is was just top ten then yes maybe but I think it's easy to forget the impact that Cantona and Zola had or how dominant Schimicheal was.

None of that is to play down what Henry has done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Undoubtedly a brilliant player

BUT

Am I the only person who found him to be arrogant (and not in that good kind of way), moody, and some of his sentiments almost a little...hollow? I always found him to be someone who sulked when things didn't go his way, then too arrogant when they did.

When he left this week, someone on the bbc described him as "an exemplary character", seemingly forgetting the times he has dived (including against us when we won 4-2) , moaned, and taunted players almost to the point of disrepecting them.

As I say, a brilliant player, but I think Arsenal (if they can keep Wenger) will be better off without him as they won't have the shadow of Henry over them which I think was an issue last year.

Definitely in the top ten premiership players though.
  • Options
    Definately arrogant but I liked it. He did sulk and moan at players but it is so frustrating when your team mates cant give you the service you want. Which happened alot with him after Pires & Vieira left.

Best player to grace this league in my opinion, pure class. Skill, pace, a great eye for goal & worked like a man possessed when required. Plus in his later years he was an absolute gent on the pitch too. Stopping play with no back chat, hand shaking, checking on injured opposition players.

Gutted he's going.
  • Options
    Agree with that Ricky. I blame him for the "I'm not going to celebrate when I score as I'm so cool" syndrome as well.

If you score for Charlton or whoever look like it means something to you. Much rather see a naff dance than the stoney faced posing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Undoubtedly a brilliant player

BUT

Am I the only person who found him to be arrogant (and not in that good kind of way), moody, and some of his sentiments almost a little...hollow? I always found him to be someone who sulked when things didn't go his way, then too arrogant when they did.

Which IMO is what is clouding people's views on what a naturally gifted footballer he is.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Neither Henry or Cantona were natural strikers / goalscorers, yet...

Henry 369 app 226 goals

Cantona 182 app 80 goals

Henry has twice the appearances and two and a half times the amount of goals.[/quote]

But remember Cantona did take out that Palace fan...

I'd say though another good reason for Darren Bent not to have signed for West Ham, I can see Arsenal struggling, Henry was not just a great goal scorer but made the team tick, unquestionably they weren't quite the team in the last part of the season that they were earlier on when he was fit.

Spurs have been close to challenging Arsenal for the last CL spot for the last two seasons, signing Bent (if he goes) could just make the extra difference, particularly if Arsenal struggle post Henry. Arsenal also have another problem, Wenger's contract expires in a year, I wonder if the top players that they are after will be quite as keen to sign for Arsenal if they think Wenger will be leaving at the end of next year.
  • Options
    Better then Cantona, Henry at least did it in Europe on a regular basis
  • Options
    cant believe someone up there has put giggs, tony adams and schmeical ahead of him! obviously wasnt at the valley the day they won 3-0 and he was absolutly awsome.

henry is a major loss to the english game.
  • Options
    Glad to see the back of him, scored more goals against us than any other club, just our luck he finally pisses off when we wont be playing them next season anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Neither Henry or Cantona were natural strikers / goalscorers, yet...

Henry 369 app 226 goals

That stat makes it sound as though it came as pretty natural for him!
  • Options
    He's probably past his best now anyway - but I've had great fun talking about it to the Arsenal fan who sits opposite me.