Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What was it that made our Play Off Final so memorable ?

edited June 2019 in General Charlton
My thoughts are that what made the day an everlasting memory and one of the best days of my life, was us the fans.
Yes the final was at Wembley, the football was decent and of course the icing on the cake was winning.

But even if we had lost, it would still have been a great day for me because the fans returned in force.
Charlton fans everywhere you looked all day long.

I remember the Full Members Cup Final also at Wembley, a relatively poor turn out of Charlton fans.
Even if we had won, it was never going to be a lifetime highlight.

So yes we can want better players and a better owner, but if the fans back the team in numbers, then that is something special.

Target 15,000 home fans ?

Comments

• Even after handing the opposition a goal start i knew we would  win. Bowyer has given the team and fans a spirit of defiance.

The boisterous tube journey,
    Box Park,
    Wembley,
    Meeting some decent oppo fans,
    Getting one over the muggy 10% of oppo fans.
    Seeing my boy going mad at Bauers goal.
  • Most of the things mentioned above...also enjoyed the walk up Wembley Way...can't recall ever doing that b4.  Ultimately though it was the way we won it....one minute i was dreading extra time then with just seconds left BFG scores....an unbelievable way to go up.
  • Four years  of utter shit made the contrast in fortunes so much more pleasurable.  Thank you Roland, you really do know what you're doing with the customer experience thing :wink:
  • Poor game.

Victory in the last seconds of the game.

Onwards and upwards................depending on a sale?
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor game.

It was Wembley. People going there expecting to see a normal match are delusional. It’s always going to be a disappointing match from a football perspective. The whole experience must be totally frightening to every player and manager and that feeds back into what happens on the pitch. There has only ever been one great game of football at Wembley and a lot of those in the ground last Saturday we’re lucky enough to have seen it.
  • Poor game.

After watching the Champions League Final where so many top players struggled, I think a third tier play-off with so much at stake for two teams who both should be in the championship maybe wasn't so bad after all. 
    No super Clive or Kevin Philips this time just honest Journeymen and a few gifted youngsters.
  • edited June 2019
    Poor game.

It was Wembley. People going there expecting to see a normal match are delusional. It’s always going to be a disappointing match from a football perspective. The whole experience must be totally frightening to every player and manager and that feeds back into what happens on the pitch. There has only ever been one great game of football at Wembley and a lot of those in the ground last Saturday we’re lucky enough to have seen it.
    Tranmere & Newport supporters ???? 
  • Poor game.

Righto mate, a bit like Wembley '98 and a good few other finals.

Have a day off.
    Other than charlton v Sunderland in 98 which as I wrote a lot of those in the ground will have seen, what other great games if ‘football’ have there been at Wembley ? Most games there are rubbish compared to those on normal league grounds. Players tend to bottle it when they step out on the pitch there 
  • Poor game.

Righto mate, a bit like Wembley '98 and a good few other finals.

Have a day off.
    Other than charlton v Sunderland in 98 which as I wrote a lot of those in the ground will have seen, what other great games if ‘football’ have there been at Wembley ? Most games there are rubbish compared to those on normal league grounds. Players tend to bottle it when they step out on the pitch there 
    FA Cups

1981 replay

Do you want me to list other finals?
  • For me it was the fans. You have to live 10,000 miles away to fully understand the emotions that were going through my head during our day at Wembley. You could never ever even slightly get that sort of feeling we experienced at Wembley over here in Australia. You just cannot rival the passions of English football, but that was ramped up 110% at Wembley. The celebrations still give me goosebumps. I want this feeling to last forever..... if any prospective buyer was wavering before, then they have to be bonkers not to buy us now
  • edited June 2019
    Sharing the day with my 8 year old son was pretty special. Seeing so many young fans at the game was also a nice surprise. It made me more positive about the clubs future. 
  • RobRob
    edited June 2019
    Poor game.

There's always one  :) 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    When the free kick was given in the 93th minute and I turned to the group of young guys behind me and my group of 10 beside me and in front  of me up in P block "this will be a good time to score" The manic celebrations that followed were crazier for me than 98, I can't remember being as battered then. 
  • I didn't think anything could surpass the memory of 98 at Wembley- well I was wrong.What has added to this time around is the so many different stories/ videos etc which is like the icing on the cake.We seem to have galvanised a real momentum from the playoffs to the last minute winner.A truly memorable season ending in a magnificent day.We have new generation of fans for our next journey.Like Blackpool 72 I also shed a few tears at Wembley.Thank you Lord Bowyer and Captain JJ for giving us belief again.COYR
  • Poor game.

Loved the whole experience. Was too tense to care if it was a 'good game' or not. It provided enough good moments for me to last a lifetime.

I'm getting nervous again though, as each day passes with no sign of a sale.
    If ever a club was at a watershed....
  • edited June 2019
    It has just passed ten years since my cardiac arrest, my journey has been,  er  difficult,  watching Charlton win at Wembley (again) with my son and friends was something special. 
    For those of us getting on a bit, you can't help wondering if you'll ever experience anything like it again.
  • "Sweet Caroline" did it for me.
  • I just always remember turning to my Dad and my brother screaming: "We've done it, I can't believe they've just done that" with tears in my eyes. And bouncing up and down for a good minute or so, hugging them. Then me and one of my best mates turned to each other - lost our s*it some more and took our tops off waving them about in the air like we were 16 again. Baring in mind we are now well past it. Unbelievable memories. One day that I'll certainly never forget.
  • JamesSeed said:
    It has just passed ten years since my cardiac arrest, my journey has been,  er  difficult,  watching Charlton win at Wembley (again) with my son and friends was something special. 
    For those of us getting on a bit, you can't help wondering if you'll ever experience anything like it again.
    Sorry to pass on the sad news, you and I won't  :'( 

Because will get promoted in 2nd place to the Premier :)

• L I M B S