Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we only had the money to sign one of Bauer or Aribo....who would you go for

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Bauer. Good midfield players are ten a penny. Good defenders and good goal scorers are worth their weight in gold.
    Incorrect. 

If you don't have the men in the middle....making good decisions, sweeping up, creating chances, flowing the game play in the direction we wish to see.

Then the defenders role is incapable to defend itself. They will be overwhelmed....and won't be able to fight for themselves.

Every player on the pitch is as important as the next.

I would still choose Bauer. He is more likely to stay with the club for a longer time. He is a name in the dressing room and his departure would mess us up quite a lot.

Aribo is expected to leave. 
    making good decisions
    sweeping up
    creating chances
    flowing the game play in the direction we wish to see

So in my opinion Aribo often falls short of the above two in bold. His decision making can often be suspect and he can go missing when we're defending at times. If he learns to improve upon those with us next season, we might even get a few £ extra.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Aribo, all day long. 

I think they'd both contribute in the Championship. I think they'd both help offer a strong spine, around which a solid team could be built.  And I think they're both good enough to play in the higher reaches of the Championship and to pull other, less-talented players up to their level. 

So, why Aribo?  Because Bauer said at the start of the season he was off.  So I couldn't pick him over someone else. 
    Do you think that Bauer said that because of the owner? Or do you think he didn't expect promotion?
  • Options
    Keep Bauer

Reckon we'd concede less in the team with him Defence compared to any League One replacement...
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Aribo, all day long. 

I think they'd both contribute in the Championship. I think they'd both help offer a strong spine, around which a solid team could be built.  And I think they're both good enough to play in the higher reaches of the Championship and to pull other, less-talented players up to their level. 

So, why Aribo?  Because Bauer said at the start of the season he was off.  So I couldn't pick him over someone else. 
    Don't get into a row with Chizz, man knows how to hold a grudge!
    *makes note of cafacfan1990's name for future reference* 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Chizz said:
    Aribo, all day long. 

Do you think that Bauer said that because of the owner? Or do you think he didn't expect promotion?
    Well he didn't mention either. 

If he'd said it was because of the owner, I'd have been desperate for him to sign, as soon as the new owners take over.  But if he'd said it was because he didn't think we were going to go up, I would have wanted him sold straight away. 
  • Options
    Keep Bauer

Reckon we'd concede less in the team with him Defence compared to any League One replacement...
    Given a full preseason I don't see why Sarr and Pearce couldn't work if it was necessary. Many centre back pairings have both been right footed so left shouldn't be any different. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    There is a school of thought that we never replaced Scott Parker and that directly contributed to our decline before Chris Powell was able to rebuild and drag us part of the way back.

The Belgian Nutter then undid all Powell's good work and got us relegated to league 1 so it is only now that we are clawing our way back thanks to Lee Bowyer and his team whom, it should be said, have still not been signed up by the Belgian Nutter despite winning promotion!

Joe Aribo was a massive part of Bowyer's team, along with Bauer too of course, but, like Parker, how many midfielders will we be able to find with the mobility of Joe and ability to score close on 10 goals no penalties?

For that reason my choice is Aribo, given the parameters of the question, although in an ideal world I'd love to keep both.
    Slightly off topic, but to be fair it was the Spivs running out of money which undid Powell's good work! Without Roland we probably would have gone into administration and got relegated that season. Roland majorly screwed up in the Luzon/Fraeye/Riga season...
    Yep, the season after the master stroke of getting rid of Kermogant, Stephens etc. 
    Youre right I do remember that turning out well...
  • Options
    Aribo for his skill and potential.

Bauer is a good centre half but tbh they are more plentiful.

Ideal world I'd keep both, though.
  • Options
    To be fair, don't think either will be here in August.
  • Options
    Strange comparison as they are chalk and cheese. Bauer is Solid and dependable and you assume there are others out there who we could find to do that role. Joe has magic feet and will only get better but I find him frustrating in that he always seems to want to take one more touch than he needs and he does go missing from time to time. If we had to have either I’d just, at a push, have Aribo as I can’t see us getting a game changer for anything we can afford but only if we signed an adequate replacement for Bauer. I think Bauer is much more likely to stay for domestic reasons as he is settled and a new dad so long as we don’t give him an insulting offer. Oh wait!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No brainer. Aribo. 
  • Options
    Aribo although I love PB; I did before last weekend.  Having lost Bielik, Cullen and Williams, losing Aribo would be a big blow 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    LenGlover said:
    There is a school of thought that we never replaced Scott Parker and that directly contributed to our decline before Chris Powell was able to rebuild and drag us part of the way back.

The Belgian Nutter then undid all Powell's good work and got us relegated to league 1 so it is only now that we are clawing our way back thanks to Lee Bowyer and his team whom, it should be said, have still not been signed up by the Belgian Nutter despite winning promotion!

Joe Aribo was a massive part of Bowyer's team, along with Bauer too of course, but, like Parker, how many midfielders will we be able to find with the mobility of Joe and ability to score close on 10 goals no penalties?

For that reason my choice is Aribo, given the parameters of the question, although in an ideal world I'd love to keep both.
    Slightly off topic, but to be fair it was the Spivs running out of money which undid Powell's good work! Without Roland we probably would have gone into administration and got relegated that season. Roland majorly screwed up in the Luzon/Fraeye/Riga season...
    Yep, the season after the master stroke of getting rid of Kermogant, Stephens etc. 
    Youre right I do remember that turning out well...
    That was 2 seasons afterwards.
  • Options
    Aribo
  • Options
    Aribo

• Options
    As much as I like Bauer, Aribo has more potential so I would keep him.
  • Options
    Aribo - it’s always harder to create than destroy
  • Options
    Aribo no question....

Bauer is good but loads of solid affordable centre backs will be available - not true of midfield mavericks, potentially a top class one.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If Aribo gets a fair offer from us and leaves to another Championship Club, then he is dead to me. If he leaves to a PL-club and sits on the bench, when he is only 21 and should be playing 40+ times per season, he is a fool. I don't care how much he is offered. Arsenal and Tottenham don't sign "frees" to start on the first team. The only rumored move I can see making some sense is Celtic. Otherwise, the smart long-term career move is to be right where he is.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    If Aribo gets a fair offer from us and leaves to another Championship Club, then he is dead to me. If he leaves to a PL-club and sits on the bench, when he is only 21 and should be playing 40+ times per season, he is a fool. I don't care how much he is offered. Arsenal and Tottenham don't sign "frees" to start on the first team. The only rumored move I can see making some sense is Celtic. Otherwise, the smart long-term career move is to be right where he is.
    Why would he be “dead to you”? He had a contract with Charlton, he fulfilled his contract and is now free to choose what he does. No hard feelings either way, we should be getting our best players signed up years before their contracts expire not weeks. 

*I’ll be gutted if he goes mind...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Why would he be “dead to you”? He had a contract with Charlton, he fulfilled his contract and is now free to choose what he does. No hard feelings either way, we should be getting our best players signed up years before their contracts expire not weeks. 

*I’ll be gutted if he goes mind...
    He is free to choose. And... I am free to dislike him if he signs for another club in this division. Assuming we make a fair offer, which I admit... may not at all be the case.
  • Options
    In homage to Roland’s “unusual” contract offer. I would take both, on a job share basis.