Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RD speaks

Comments

• Options
    The thing I take away from that is that he will be spending even less than last year, despite being in a higher division.  The worry is with all the players we are losing, will we even have enough to build a full squad?  If we do, it's likely to be very thin and lacking in the quality we will need to survive.  Let's hope Lee can pull off another minor miracle.

• Options
    I've read and heard of sillier things coming from the Club over the last few years. By the Club's recent standards, it is not so ridiculous, although some things lack clarity. On a scale of 1 to 100, where 1 is bad and 100 is good, I've moved from about 4 to 5 after that statement.
  • Options
    My god, his economic claims run in direct opposition to everything known about football. The value of stadium lands is zero, because they cannot be developed into something without leaving the club homeless, thus destroying the economic value of the whole venture. Often the same is true of the training ground. To value the club by the theoretical value of grounds that cannot be utilized for anything but football is crazy.

Hang on. You've been telling us the club is worth £70M for years !
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    So he has offered Bowyer an extension on the same terms? Ridiculous. 
    He may be lying  though his yellow teeth   but what he said was:

"He has done a fantastic job and therefore talks about improving Lee’s contract are scheduled for next week. Both the club and Lee want him to be the Charlton Athletic manager next season"

It may be too late if other offers come Lee's way but those few words aren't ambiguous ?

Have to say again he may be telling a porky !

• Options
    So The PR man (whos name escapes me) wrote an article and gave it to RD to read.  RD adds a dig at fans and a dig at Varney/Everrit and claims the entire piece as written by him.  It is pretty obvious
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Are people saying there is some merit in this latest statement?
    I can't see any.
    Can anybody winkle out any positives?
    Give your son a ring.
  • Options
    So he has offered Bowyer an extension on the same terms? Ridiculous. 
    He may be lying  though his yellow teeth   but what he said was:

"He has done a fantastic job and therefore talks about improving Lee’s contract are scheduled for next week. Both the club and Lee want him to be the Charlton Athletic manager next season"

It may be too late if other offers come Lee's way but those few words aren't ambiguous ?

Have to say again he may be telling a porky !

But he also said: ‘There is a trigger in his contract for a contract extension, which we exercised in May, and he needs to agree to this for his contract to be extended as per the current agreement.’

Meaning existing terms to be accepted before discussing an increase ... which is nonsense. 
  • Options
    It's old tosser Rubbershoes doing his 10 minutes work a week again.
  • Options
    Depressing , he expects LB to sign a deal extension for another year on the same terms. He has proved his worth , give him an improved contract now you fool ! Don't be surprised if LB walks  
  • Options
    While the statement is slightly more reasonable than the usual RD one, it's still written in that eccentric style of English he uses as if he wrote it and it was then rewritten by somebody else.

The most interesting new information was to do with Bowyer, and that there was a clause in his contract which the club triggered in May, presumably after promotion. By the sound of things Bowyer has to agree to accept this further period of employment and presumably won't done so under those terms.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read it and think he is basically telling us that there is pretty much no money to spend unless we get taken over. What players from the Academy will be making the step up next season?  
  • Options
    Unless it’s a two party trigger, my understanding of that statement is that Bowyers contract has already been extended. 
  • Options
    Unless it’s a two party trigger, my understanding of that statement is that Bowyers contract has already been extended. 
    Don’t think so ... it states  LB needs to agree. 
  • Options
    Shame Bowyer mentioned contract talks after the Play off... doesnt sound like much of a conversation to me 
  • Options
    Does anyone know what prompted him to put out this statement?
  • Options
    Actually apart from the line about @Airman Brown I didn't think it was that bad.

So we triggered an extension in Bowyer's contract but he has to agree to it?  That seems a bit strange.

I also don't think the shaming of the ex directors is that bad, as 80% of people who read the statement won't know who the unnamed ones are, or frankly care.

The championship is a financial grave yard, we all know that, I actually think the statement he made about that before was quite correct, until he went bonkers and demanded the EFL bought the club. 

For what it's worth, in my opinion, someone fed Roland with fake news, maybe they still are, one of the biggest failures of his ownership is Richard Murray as the "link" to the fans. 
  • Options
    Little investment for next season.Just sell Roland.
  • Options

Am I missing something ? Apart from the fact I don't think RD wrote this it seems a reasonable statement to me

Agreed to an extent

He's right that Championship spending is slightly stupid

He's right that our smaller budget doesnt mean instant relegation (take Accrington in League One this season)

He's right that we've got some good kids coming through

He's even right that we stand more chance of being sold now we're back in the Championship BUT despite being a club in London (meaning expensive land) he still needs to lower his asking price for any deal to happen quickly
    Absolutely.  That summary is Roland's ownership of Charlton in microcosm

He's not daft, he's got some common sense on some matters pertaining to the club but that's all irrelevant because the biggest issue is that he is so fucking stubborn and just can't drop his price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    It's very, very rare that I read a statement with a badly-placed apostrophe and that doesn't come close to being the thing that annoys me the most.

'Roland; eats, shoots himself and leaves'
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Don’t think so ... it states  LB needs to agree. 
    Re-read it. You are correct but it’s unusual for other side to have to agree unless there is a get-out ie promotion.
  • Options
    So there’s little or no chance of promotion again as he eludes to clearly.

And he’s making big losses each season, fact.

So he genuinely is holding onto us on the extreme off chance that we go up on a miraculously small budget, or even more miraculously that someone buys us at thee most overpriced fee in history of football. 
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Does anyone know what prompted him to put out this statement?
    Because even he probably realises that it’s absolutely insane that it’s June and we don’t know if we’ll have a manager, coaching staff or more than half a dozen players in three weeks time.