Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5-10 Moments in YOUR Charlton History

2»

Comments

• Options
    (1) Promotion to the Championship under Powell
    Only missed a few games in this season both home and away, started off doing a load of away games in the end Id done so many on the trot I thought; Why stop

(2) Promotion to the Championship under Bowyer
    We shouldnt have done it, probably the best squad we've had in terms of the bond between the players

(3) Promotion to the Premier League in 2000
    It was the Curbs golden year for me... Great squad and great run of form that saw us get promoted

(4) 1998 Play-Off Final
    Why so low and why below 2019... I was less of a fan than what I am now, it does disappoint me a little

(5) Charlton 0-0 Stoke City in 1994
    It was my first ever game at the Valley
    Rather than seasons or games themselves, the actual player moments for me are:

Dean Kiely's saves against Birmingham City
    Claus Jensen's goal against Arsenal
    John Robinson's goal against Man Utd in the 3-3 draw
    Sasa Ilic save in the '98 Play-Off Final
    Patrick Bauer's goal in the '19 Play-Off Final
    Bradley Wright-Phillips' goal when we won promotion @ Carlisle
    Kyle Reid's goal against Southend when we won 2-1 on a Friday night
    Schmeichel's sending off in the FA Cup (one of my all time memories of the competition will be him walking off the pitch)
    Doing the same for me and just picking out specific moments

1) Ilic playoff save
    2) Bauer playoff goal
    3) Dillon playoff save

After that in rough chronological order
    Shirtliff playoff goals 87 - I wasn't there but listening to the match on the radio turned me into a proper Charlton fan
    Paul Miller equaliser 88 vs Chelsea
    David Whyte goal vs Leicester 92 at Upton Park
    Kim Grant coming onto the field to warm up Dec 5th 92
    Schmeichel sending off
    Shaun Newton playoff semi final goal
    EVERY goal in Wembley 98
    The Giggs shot from the half way line which hit the bar
    Robinson equaliser against Man U
    Bartlett Goal of the Season
    Powell goal in his farewell match
    Jacko goal vs QPR
    Harriott goal vs Watford which ensured survival under Riga
    Solly equaliser at Luton

A few here I didn't think of. 
  • Options
    Going to sleep well tonight. Carl Leaburn at Villa, Mortimer's majestic goal at Norwich - then Bradford - enter Steve Brown. Just so many. Maybe I won't sleep so well after all. Yann at Bournemouth, SCP scoring in his final game. Bloody hell, Charlton eh? 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    In date order:
    April 1975 Promotion v Preston
    Dec 1975 Chelsea 2 Charlton 3. I was in The Shed as a child. 
    1988 Battle of the Bridge
    1989 Arsenal v Charlton 2-2 when dad properly met my boyfriend, now husband and the first time we sang VFR.
    1992 BTTV
    1998 Wembley
    2003 Lisbie hat-trick v Liverpool (on the day of a big birthday)
    2012 promotion away at Carlisle
    2013 Hug from SCP when sponsoring midweek match v Forest (on a day close to a big birthday)
    2019 A month of football joy and madness - Rochdale h, Donny a, Donny h, Wembley

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Stig said:

moment, n. ˈməʊm(ə)nt A very short period or extent of time, esp. one too brief for its duration to be significant; a point in time, an instant.

Top ten moments I have personally witnessed (perhaps):

10. Lisbie's getting his third against the scousers (2003)
    9. Putting four past West Ham (2007)
    8. Jensen volleying past Friedel to nullify the keepers goal (2004).
    7. The 'Liar' banner over Meire's head (2016)
    6. Chris Powell chaired around the pitch after becoming Charlton's oldest goalscorer (2008) 
    5. Yann's wonder strike on Smurf day (2012)
    4. Jon Fortune sending the Palace down (2005)
    3. Standing at Brunton Park after the final whistle waiting to find out that Colchester had held Wednesday to a draw (2012)
    2. Bauer putting it past McLaughlin (2019)
    1. Ilic saving from Grey (1998)
    Wonderful way of describing it, @Stig. Shared all apart from (8) as sadly I was in Northern Ireland for my father-in-law's funeral.
  • Options
    1. Feb 1981: My first Charlton game ... Ipswich Town (a) FA Cup 5th Round (we lost, setting the tone for the following 38 years)
    2.Jan 1986: My first Charlton "home" game ... West Ham FA Cup 3rd Round (we lost)
    3.Aug 1986: Charlton's first top-flight win for almost 30 years, away to Man Utd. I was on holiday in Hemsby and Radio Two had the game as their second-half commentary match
    4. Mar 1987: My first trip to Wembley to watch Charlton ... Full Members' Cup Final v Blackburn (we lost)
    5. May 1987: My first (only) participation in a pitch invasion ... QPR ("h"), last league game of the season, won to avoid immediate relegation and go into inaugural play-offs (I'm sure we got our first penalty of the season that day ... a few days later we got our second penalty but it was saved by penalty king Paul Cooper)
    6. May 1988: Battle of the Bridge ... Leaburn, Miller et al (we didn't lose!)
    7. Jan 1993: My first match at The Valley ... Leeds in an FA Cup replay (we lost)
    8. May 1998: Did something happen at Wembley then? :) I wasn't there though and had to endure it on TV instead
    9. Season 2000/2001: Shaun Bartlett ... scoring twice against Man Utd in the cracking 3-3 at The Valley (yes, Robbo, I know you got the equaliser in the dying minutes) and then that volley against Leicester
    10. Boxing Day 2003: Destroyation of Chelsea at The Valley ... one of the most comprehensive dismantlings of a top side I've ever seen from Charlton
    11. May 2019: Did something happen at Wembley then? :)

OK, that's eleven things. Indulge me ... ;)
  • Options
    1. 1998 Playoff final
    2. Arsenal 2-4 Charlton
    3. Charlton 4-2 Chelsea
    4. 2019 League One playoff final
    5. League One 2012 title

Back to The Valley obviously tops all of that but in terms of footballing moments, that's my top five. 
  • Options
    1998 Play-off Final
    Wolves 0-4 Charlton in 2003, my first away game.
    Lisbie 3-2 Liverpool.
    4-2 vs Chelsea on Boxing Day 2003.
    Winning on Penalties vs Chelsea in the League Cup.
    Carlisle 2012
    Charlton 5-4 Cardiff, the support from the crowd at 2-0 down was the best i've ever seen at The Valley.
    6-0 away at Barnsley.
    Jacko's late winner vs QPR on Saturday and beating Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough to reach the FA Cup QF on the Monday Night.
    2019 Play-off Final.
  • Options
    1. 2019 play off final
    2. 1998 play off final
    3. Donny second leg 
    4. Dennis in the last minute 
    5. Chelsea 1-1 (5-4 pens)

• Options
    Wembley 98 has to be tops and Wembley 19 second if we are talking one off games. I enjoyed a title winning seasons under Curbs and Powell but the enjoyment was spread over the season. I'd probably have to put our 4-2 Victory away to Arsenal as third. 
  • Options
    1. 2019 play off final
    2. 1998 play off final
    3. Donny second leg 
    4. Dennis in the last minute 
    5. Chelsea 1-1 (5-4 pens)

I'd forgotten about that one! Wasn't there though, think I was listening on the radio. Mourinho refused to accept that counted as a home defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In no particular order:

All three Play off finals, replay at St. Andrews, and the two Wembley games. Toolbox in the snow. Everton away in the old First Division, we drew 1-1 with a Stevie Mack rocket. The majority of our support was in the seats as it was such a poor view from the away terrace (am I wrong or was it actually below pitch level?). Just remember going mental when that goal went in a badly needed point in our annual relegation struggle. Battle of the bridge, could not believe how many we took over there that day considering we were only averaging about 8k at Shithurst,very funny watching Chelsea come unstuck both on and off the pitch!.

• Options
    bittersweet, but remember vividly getting relegated by spurs, the singing of VFR at the end was deafening, even when spurs scored during it
  • Options
    Yes, I was at the St Andrews game and forgot about it! Old age! That has to come third rather than Arsenal away!
  • Options
     As a young lad, and on my own, coming into the ground for the first time, by what is now the Bartram gate, and walking up to the top of the Southern terrace, and looking down onto the pitch for the first time, what a sight, I was smitten.  Also around that time. laying on the floor of our front room, listening to the radio commentary of the 1947 Cup Final, and going wild when Chris Duffy scored that goal.  So many memories after that; one that sticks out, was the evening of the St.Andrews game, I was working that evening, driving my cab up in Town, listening to the game on the radio.  In the end I just could not listen, and concentrate on driving, so, having set down a fare in Notting Hill, I pulled over into a side street to listen.  When Shirtlif scored , I just shouted out, what the two people walking past must have thought, I've no idea.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    As great as the promotions in 2000 and 2012 were - neither had that explosion of euthoria that comes with winning a playoff final with 6 seconds to go / penalty shootout. If we are talking about favourite seasons, instead of moments then yes 2000/2012 would win for me. 

I celebrated that Bauer goal as if I’d won the lottery.
    Agree. I'll be surprised if anything football related beats that burst of emotion quite like when the ball hit the net 93:56 minutes into that Play-Off final at Wembley.

Footballing Heaven.
  • Options
    1. Sasa’s Save
    2. Walking Back to The Valley
    3. Robbo’s equaliser v United
    4. Lisbie scoring to go 3-0 up against Spurs in 2001
    5. Peter Schmeichel’s red card

This made me realise that, as much as I loved last month’s win, it didn’t have the emotional impact or depth that many other, smaller moments have had for me. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    As great as the promotions in 2000 and 2012 were - neither had that explosion of euthoria that comes with winning a playoff final with 6 seconds to go / penalty shootout. If we are talking about favourite seasons, instead of moments then yes 2000/2012 would win for me. 

I celebrated that Bauer goal as if I’d won the lottery.
    Agree. I'll be surprised if anything football related beats that burst of emotion quite like when the ball hit the net 93:56 minutes into that Play-Off final at Wembley.

Footballing Heaven.
    It was a magic moment. The game reaches a point where you know if there is a goal, that is almost certainly it. That provides its own tension as it can go for you or against you. It isn't like you might lose a point or two points, you can lose your whole season. When we went behind early, it didn't really effect me much emotionally. My thought was that we have time and we can still win. In all honesty, I still expected us to win.

But with about 10 minutes to go, you enter that nervous zone and the nervousness ramps up the deeper you go into it. Then in a split second you see the ball in the net, you look to the ref and linesman and then the jubilant players and you know you have won. It is a fantastic feeling and you are walking on air and light headed for hours, if not days afterwards. 

It was nearly as good as it gets. I think 98 was slightly better because of the tension of the shootout. The elastic band was twisted many more times before the final joyous release. And of course, the prize was the Premier League. Having said that, I met my wife in December 98 and my son was born in 2001. It was great to be able to share Wembley victory with them as I often regretted I couldn't share 1998. Although of course I was none the wiser in 98.

• Options
    All my previous highlights were dwarfed by Doncaster at the Valley and Bauer in the 94th at Wembley. Just indescribable emotion that can't be replicated by anything else.

Said it before but I've loved following Charlton under Bowyer, it feels special. Someone has said it before but since we packed out Fratton Park last season, it's just felt special since that day, we have have been immense supporting the team and despite all the doom and gloom I can't wait to continue it into the championship. 

Other than that I'll probably have to say my first game as a complete neutral, 10 years old at Charlton v Arsenal 2001. None of my family supported Charlton and I just said after Charlton won, that'll do. 
  • Options
    Was that New Year's day  - The first JJ scoring on the break? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    These are personal highlights, correct?

5) Coventry v Charlton F.A. Cup: After Charlton's 3rd, and winning goal. For those not there,  Coventry went 2-0 up, the Coventry fans started singing "Worse than the Villa!" and "Can we play you every week?". As you can imagine, after that 3rd went in, the Charlton faithful were giving it large. Still my best away day.

4) Charlton v Coventry at The Valley. CP's last game. As he was brought on as a substitute, to play in midfield, I shouted "Now, Chrissy, get in the box and tuck one away!" When he did it, I was absolutely mobbed by everyone around me!

3) Charlton v Fulham at The Valley. Charlton 2-0 down. On comes another legend, Johnnie Jackson, just as Charlton have a corner. Again, I shout "Get yourself on the end of it Jacko!" Again, scenes of the same people in 4) above mobbing me again.

2) Charlton have won League 1 with over a hundred points. It's the day of the PoTY dinner. Me and my mate, go to see Welling play their final game of the season. (They'd just won the National League South, or whatever it was called then.) Caught the bus back to Charlton, still plenty of time, so we popped into The Antigallican. Man U. on the TV. Watching the TV, turn round, and nearly drop my pint. Standing at the bar: Johnnie Jackson. Nudge my mate. He turns around, nearly drops his pint. Jacko nods, orders a drink for himself, and us. Clearly no-one else in the pub has the slightest idea who he is. He comes around, and starts chatting to us. There is some serious hero worship going on. Jacko says: "Yeah, there's a few others turning up." Suffice to say, me and my mate had an eventful early evening, before the PoTY dinner, with Jacko, Hamer, Morrison and Green...

1) I had to give up my season ticket, as I've been diagnosed with cancer. Operations, check ups etc. for over a year. Go to Wembley for the play off final. Hobble down Wembley Way, and collapse into my seat. 93:54 seconds into the game, Paddy Bauer slams the ball into the net. Six seconds and 3 touches later, the referee blows the final whistle. Cue me crying my eyes out like a little girl...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Most of the above but also

1. 1967 Addicks 4 Cardiff 1. 1st match
    2. Claus goal at Highbury when I knew we'd beat them
    3. Gritty's right foot shot rebounding off the bar at Selhurst and him putting equally good one in with left from rebound 
    4. Elation on Schmichael's red
    5. Comeback at Coventry when I was on verge of leaving b4 half time.
    6. Seeing Parker at Sutton and realising before he was hyped that he was special
    7. Shittu throw at Aldershot into box from his own half.
    8. Band at bar in St Truiden and whole weekend
    9. Wembley with six Addicks fans, usually just two of us
    10. Bowyer signing

• Options
    Another vote for Chrissy Powell against Coventry. Went with the Mrs, who genuinely regards snooty indifference as a positive trait to bring to a football match (along with an unnerving and genuine ability to ask if Charlton are still the red ones playing the other way 10 mins after half time) and even she was taken by 20k addickted getting something in their eye.
  • Options
    1. 1963, Being part of the 6 thousand or so who braved the elements for the home game v Southampton which was ultimately abandoned due to snowstorm

2. Night of May 1963 trying to catch the result on a tinny and tiny transistor radio in Penhill Park, Sidcup of the away game at Walsall which we needed to win to stay up. 2-1. Home and off to bed before school next day.

3. 1985. Walking out alone with a red and white scarf onto the otherwise empty away section at Maine Road in front of 47,000 Man City supporters. I was early - everyone else late due to motorway/travel problems. Lost 1-5, Man City promoted.

4. 1986 Winning 1-0 at Manchester United - Mark Stuart scoring only goal.
    5. 1987 Peter Shirtliff's second goal in the play-off win at St Andrews.

• Options
    1) Wembley this year
    2) Donny home leg play off
    3) we sent the palace down game at the Valley
    4) we’ll never play you again palace game at 
    Selhurst 
    5) The Pompey away game (two seasons ago now - how time flies) 
    6) the first Sunderland play off game
    7) the PL years
    8) back to the Valley game
    9) 68/69 palace away in the cup
    10) 2019/2020 season

• Options
    Plenty of great moments on this thread. 
    Hopefully Roland selling will join the list. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Spanning 60+ years;

1) Last fixture victory away at Walsall 1962/3 to retain second tier status by virtue of a better goal AVERAGE from Walsall!.

2) Promotion to top flight in 1985/6 after my first 28 years of watching us play 2nd and third tier football.

3) Play off final win v Leeds 1986/7 to retain top tier status.

4) Play off Wembley win v Sunderland May 1998.

5) Play off Wembley win v Sunderland May 2019.

Back to the Valley v Pompey of course  goes without saying plus all of our non play off promotion winning seasons.