Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Grand Slam

2»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    We punch above our weight in the world.
    I was actually thinking how incredible New Zealand’s sporting prowess is given that they have a smaller population than Scotland. 
    Undoubtedly.  But also beyond sport, England/ the UK punch.
    Do you think? I’m not sure it’s true, we are a rich western country with a relatively large population - about the same as France - and that’s about where we punch in most things. 
    But we are better than France at Sport. 
    Are we? France are significantly better both historically and present day at the greatest sport of them all.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Congratulations to England having become the first team ever to win the men's Grand Slam: the World Cup in the three most important sports, football, rugby and cricket. 

I think it will be some time before another team achieves it. 
    I think Australia might have a chance in 2022 in Qatar.
    Are Qatar hosting another World Cup other than the Football then?
    Qatar are hosting the only one - of the three - that Australia have not yet won.  And, while they're unlikely to win it, they may be closer than anyone else to win the Grand Slam, after England.
    I'd say that New Zealand are just as close as Australia to winning all three
    Not really, Australia have won two of them whereas NZ just one.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    se9addick said:
    I was actually thinking how incredible New Zealand’s sporting prowess is given that they have a smaller population than Scotland. 
    I read yesterday that cricket is 10th in the list of participation sports in NZ, behind badminton for example. That's great going to get to a WC final on that basis. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
    You could add those.  But you would be wrong to do so.  Because, as you say, the Tour de France isn't a "World Cup" team event, and tennis is, well, tennis, frankly. 
    I would defy anyone to watch today’s Wimbledon final and not class tennis one of the great sports. If cricket gets that classification then tennis definitely deserves it too.

No doubting which is the greatest sport though!
    Which country won today's World Cup at Wimbledon..?
    Stupid point because nobody is disputing that. The Davis Cup is the World Cup of Tennis although the format makes it less special IMO.

Although as per your usual riddles I am assuming you meant the three most important sports where there is a World Cup?
    Oh.  Someone's taking this thread a bit seriously!  

I think football, rugby and cricket are, by a long way, the three most important sports in which national teams compete for a world cup.  Today, we became the first country to have held all of them, in the men's version.  That's all. 
    Not really sure cricket and rugby should be spoken about in the same breath as football in terms of importance. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Congratulations to England having become the first team ever to win the men's Grand Slam: the World Cup in the three most important sports, football, rugby and cricket. 

Qatar are hosting the only one - of the three - that Australia have not yet won.  And, while they're unlikely to win it, they may be closer than anyone else to win the Grand Slam, after England.
    Reckon New Zealand will win the Cricket World Cup long before Australia get close to the Football title (and so put them both one away)

Is what I meant by that sorry
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

Reckon New Zealand will win the Cricket World Cup long before Australia get close to the Football title (and so put them both one away)

Yes that makes sense although neither will ever win a football World Cup.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    I know they're British entries but could also add the Tour de France (not really a World Cup) for Cycling and Davis Cup in Tennis
    You could add those.  But you would be wrong to do so.  Because, as you say, the Tour de France isn't a "World Cup" team event, and tennis is, well, tennis, frankly. 
    I would defy anyone to watch today’s Wimbledon final and not class tennis one of the great sports. If cricket gets that classification then tennis definitely deserves it too.

Stupid point because nobody is disputing that. The Davis Cup is the World Cup of Tennis although the format makes it less special IMO.

Although as per your usual riddles I am assuming you meant the three most important sports where there is a World Cup?

I think football, rugby and cricket are, by a long way, the three most important sports in which national teams compete for a world cup.  Today, we became the first country to have held all of them, in the men's version.  That's all. 
    Not really sure cricket and rugby should be spoken about in the same breath as football in terms of importance. 
    Oh I don't know. In some parts of the world, football is probably even more important than the other two...
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

On close inspection, I don't think it does make sense.  Australia are already one away.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:

On close inspection, I don't think it does make sense.  Australia are already one away.
    If only they can learn to kick it under the bar and not over it...
  • Options
    Darts has a World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

Too drunk to take anything seriously at the minute!

And I was making the point that it appears people are interpreting your original statement to mean you are saying Rugby, Cricket and Football to be the three most important sports, rather than they have the three most important 'World Cups'. 
    Another @Chizz classic, how dare anyone say anything else? Go to bed mate.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Tennis is a truly international sport, which RU and cricket aren't.

I'm quite surprised that you have said this about tennis. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Tennis is a great sport.  But... when did England last win the tennis World Cup?  

I've suggested a "Grand Slam" of what I think are the best, international team sports and wanted to know who people think might be able to replicate that feat.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    Do you think? I’m not sure it’s true, we are a rich western country with a relatively large population - about the same as France - and that’s about where we punch in most things. 
    Are we? France are significantly better both historically and present day at the greatest sport of them all.  
    But have they won Chizz's Grand Slam? I cannot argue with football, but that is the only one they have won. 

Olympics medal table, a combination of many sports and we are better then them. 
  • Options
    Isn't the Davis Cup the men's world team tennis championship?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Tennis is a great sport.  But... when did England last win the tennis World Cup?  

I've suggested a "Grand Slam" of what I think are the best, international team sports and wanted to know who people think might be able to replicate that feat.  
    Seriously mate, rugby and cricket are commonwealth sports. I love cricket, but shhhhh now kid as you're talking out your shit pipe.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

4 years ago when we (or rather Great Britain) won the Davis Cup, which advertises itself as the World Cup of tennis
  • Options
    Isn't the Davis Cup the men's world team tennis championship?
    Kinda.  But it's different from a "proper" World Cup, which is usually played by several teams in a single (or a few) countries; and the Davis Cup is played over several seasons on a home or away basis.  

And England doesn't have a team in the Davis Cup, so I am excluding it, using my own, arbitrary set of unpublished criteria. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Seriously mate, rugby and cricket are commonwealth sports. I love cricket, but shhhhh now kid as you're taking out your shit pipe.
    Being part of the commonwealth must come as quite a surprise to the Italian, Argentinian, Romanian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian rugby world cup teams and the world cup cricket teams of Kenya, the Netherlands, Namibia, Bangladesh and Afghanistan! 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    PopIcon said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Seriously mate, rugby and cricket are commonwealth sports. I love cricket, but shhhhh now kid as you're taking out your shit pipe.
    Being part of the commonwealth must come as quite a surprise to the Italian, Argentinian, Romanian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian rugby world cup teams and the world cup cricket teams of Kenya, the Netherlands, Namibia, Bangladesh and Afghanistan! 
    How could we forget about Russian rugby team 🏉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    Ah, Les Boules 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    True they have won a few tournaments more than us but they have a tendency to cheat where ever an opportunity presents itself.
    Also they didn’t even qualify for the cricket World Cup, Afghanistan did how shit must the french be? Not a man amongst them would appreciate a cover drive or take defeat on the chin like a Kiwi.
    Cricket, best and most important summer sport in the world.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:
    True they have won a few tournaments more than us but they have a tendency to cheat where ever an opportunity presents itself.
    Also they didn’t even qualify for the cricket World Cup, Afghanistan did how shit must the french be? Not a man amongst them would appreciate a cover drive or take defeat on the chin like a Kiwi.
    Cricket, best and most important summer sport in the world.
    Nope, that would still be football...
  • Options
    It was a nice touch by England to complete the grand slam in the appropriate order: red, white and blue... 

• Options
    England flag is red & white. 
  • Options
    That's why the blue (which tends only to be on the badge (football and cricket) and socks (rugby)) took so long! 

:wink: