Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PV explains women's axing on OS

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
and other job cuts across the Board. Womens team cost £306k a season. May yet be saved by a Sponsor. Worth a read as it explains a lot. (Know that this is mentioned it the 'sticky' but needs wider auduiance)

Comments

• Options
    The first team players are starting to be cherry picked
    http://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/sport/rasportlatest/display.var.1500594.0.blues_sign_pair_from_charlton.php

Probably won't be much of a first team left for any sponsor to bother with.
  • Options
    that's the thing, everyone is up in arms Salad, yet if the budget was cut then players like Stoney or whatever her name is will be off to other clubs as quick as a flash.
  • Options
    I saw that Stoney on TV last night .... needs a good kick up the ariss.
  • Options
    I understand the decision taken and wouldn't say it's wrong, certainly in immediate financial terms - but it's a blow to our reputation. And some people involved in the club's various community schemes will feel we can't be trusted to follow things through .... there's nothing to stop them being ditched next. We're a business-orientated football club, just like any other.

Relegation for Charlton Athletic is not an unforseen event; if we're not prepared to follow something through, then we shouldn't start it in the first place.
  • Options
    I dont think its a blow to our reputation at all? Apart from a few fans & the ladies themselves, is anyone really that bothered?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]I understand the decision taken and wouldn't say it's wrong, certainly in immediate financial terms - but it's a blow to our reputation. And some people involved in the club's various community schemes will feel we can't be trusted to follow things through .... there's nothing to stop them being ditched next. We're a business-orientated football club, just like any other.

Relegation for Charlton Athletic is not an unforseen event; if we're not prepared to follow something through, then we shouldn't start it in the first place.

And that's the thing. The community work continues. It's protected as much as it can be by being funded by the charitable trust. Look at all the work being done and which is continuing.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think Ketters posted something along the lines of for us being one of the supposed top two we got bashed by Arsenal last season. Including one total show up at the City Ground on live TV.

If people were fussed they should have supported them when they had the chance. It wasn't like we were unaware we had a women's team or whereabouts to go and watch them if we did so desire, if more people had done that they would have been more self-sufficient and not reliant on being propped up by the mens team.
  • Options
    I watched us against Arsenal one year, went up to London somewhere near Barnet I think to see us play. No more than 200 people there. About 75% were girls between the ages of 11-20 and didnt really care about the game. The rest were girls that actually play or family going to watch. All in all, there was very little interest in what should be the biggest game in the league?

Its just an excuse for a big "female" meet up, *nudge nudge* *wink wink*. The girl I went with has played for us, Doncaster & a few others told me all about it.
  • Options
    Suggested rescue package

*only let 'fit' ones in the team
    *get them promoting the club more, modelling etc
    *change the kit to be more revealing/skin tight.
    *Make them do cheer leading in yet more skimpy gear

Just a suggestion.. and no doubt not an original one - should bring in the sponsors....

:)
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Comments from Danielle Murphy[/cite] "Maybe if the Charlton executives had more faith in people rather than money, Charlton Athletic could have been the club it pretends to be "

LINK: BBC Sport
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2007
    Charlton Are Forgetting Their Roots, LINK: Football365 article
    Everything that was achieved at The Valley was based on trust. The club have built themselves up on the basis of their place at the heart of a community.
    But for many this decision will have not so much eroded as demolished the sense of trust that meant, in a plc era, that Charlton really were a club.
  • Options
    'The Charlton board continue to sit in their lovely Laura Ashley offices and drive in their fast cars '

Pathetic. The 'Charlton board' are fans, just like me and every other person off here. People forget that at times.

These people desperately want what is best for our club, not the opposite. Their 'fast cars' come from money they have earned elsewhere, which they continue to pump into Charlton, not it money as she insinuates.
  • Options
    And Laura Ashley offices WFT does that have to do with anything even if it was true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And Laura Ashley offices WFT does that have to do with anything even if it was true.

Not much. But, Henry, we're talking about an angry female. You didn't really expect logic, did you?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: HugoZHackenbush[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And Laura Ashley offices WFT does that have to do with anything even if it was true.[/quote]

Not much. But, Henry, we're talking about an angry female. You didn't really expect logic, did you?[/quote]

That is very sexist. Living in Sweden where women's football is so popular I expected better of you.
  • Options
    I like the line from the Danielle Murphy "we do not make them enough money". No dear, you have regularly made a thumping loss to be precise.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HugoZHackenbush[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]And Laura Ashley offices WFT does that have to do with anything even if it was true.

Not much. But, Henry, we're talking about an angry female. You didn't really expect logic, did you?

That is very sexist. Living in Sweden where women's football is so popular I expected better of you.

Popular? The average attendace in the top division this season is 1186. The average last season was 814.

The 3 clubs with men's teams in the top division are averaging 841, 607 and 592 respectively.