Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stevenage 'car cruise' crash leaves 17 injured

I don't understand the attraction of this sort of meet-up and I am not a big fan of organised law-breaking.  But this is absolutely horrendous. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49041165

Comments

• edited July 2019
    Have always enjoyed Motor Racing whether it be watching or playing on my PC / Console, same with the likes of GTA its something I've occasionally played

Thats the extent of it though, a real car is nothing more than to get me from A to B

Hopefully the 17 people are able to walk away from Hospital yet will never see the attraction to those genuine meet ups

i.e. Just going by the burnt rubber from one of the pictures of the doughnuts, absolute waste of money!!
  • I'm a big car fan/nut and and have been to similar meets at Ace Café etc.

But these type of meets have always been dangerous, from doughnuts in the car parks or in this instance people pulling away, revving engines and generally driving way too fast. You can see lots of incidents on youtube, thankfully the majority are near misses or minor injuries (or more often just car damage).

Hope people make a good/full recovery.

• edited July 2019

The organiser says how much they try to deter racing, donuts etc but they know this sort of thing goes on with these idiots so exactly how much they do is debatable.

There is a concern that the classic car movement in the UK is mainly made up of middle aged or old farts (like me) and a lot of work is being done to encourage youngsters to get involved in both owning older cars and working in the industries that support it.

Unfortunately, a lot (although not all it has to be said) of the younger generation you come across at shows etc are very much of the fast & furious ilk and whilst you're not going to break too many traffic laws in an Austin A30 or Morris Minor, lots of them drive what are termed as modern classics, which are a lot more powerful.

• I live fairly close to Stevenage and these events seem to happen fairly regularly. Was driving along the same stretch of road a couple of months ago one evening and had to drive past loads of teenagers standing right on the edge of the kerb and the central reservation. An accident waiting to happen unfortunately, the videos online are shocking.

Really hope those injured make full recoveries.
  • edited July 2019
    It was an unauthorised event, so avoided all rules of scrutiny, public safety, etc.  Mayhem resulted.  Why are the organisers still walking around free?
  • This kind of event should be restricted to electric scooters only
  • Chizz said:
    I don't understand the attraction of this sort of meet-up and I am not a big fan of organised law-breaking.  But this is absolutely horrendous. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-49041165
    BBC "Video contains some upsetting scenes" feck me how can that clip upset anyone?  
  • The organizer said that the event was in aid of a charity for parents of stillborn babies. I wonder who is picking up the costs for the emergency services.
    Not the organizers but the tax payer (you and I).
  • Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:
    The organizer said that the event was in aid of a charity for parents of stillborn babies. I wonder who is picking up the costs for the emergency services.
    Not the organizers but the tax payer (you and I).

Yeah, say it's for charity and absolve yourself from any responsibility

• I live on a main road and am amazed at the number of boy racers there are now, who modify their exhausts to make as much racket as possible. It's about time that the authorities put a stop to it.

• "Organiser Rix Sidhu said it was the first time the Cruise-Herts group had suffered any serious incident in its 17-year history."

I've been robbing banks for 17 years and none has suffered "serious incident". What's the problem?
  • I know where this was done very well. My mother lives in Stevenage. It is not a suitable place to do this and whether they give money to charity or not, throw the bloody book at them all!
  • "Organiser Rix Sidhu said it was the first time the Cruise-Herts group had suffered any serious incident in its 17-year history."

I've been robbing banks for 17 years and none has suffered "serious incident". What's the problem?
    What banks did you Rob mate
  • It was my 10 year old daughter's prom last night so the kids were invited to attend in vehicles.

We chose for her to go in my father's classic car, there was a kid chauffered in a Lamborghini, several in a French Foreign Legion army van, one in a tractor, a ford anglia, a Morgan, two stretched limos, couple of nice BMW's and Audis.  All arrived peacefully, sensibly and respectfully.  All left in the same manner

Then there were 3 motorbikes who rode in like nutters, paraded around the playground and did burnouts on the playground before pulling a few wheelies and roaring don the street and did a burnout for around 500m leaving a mark in the highway.

They only left because their antics were upsetting the horses as one girl had arrived in a horse-drawn carriage.  What was a nice chilled out evening turned into a couple of nobheads on their plastic rockets trying to show off and endanger children (there were arund 80 or 90 kids under 12 running about.)

These people are the ones we need to crack down on.  I appreciate nice vehicles whether they be classics, sports cars, modified cars or whatever but driving like this and endangering innocent people really grips my shit.  I hope everyone pulls through
  • Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:
    Swisdom said:
    It was my 10 year old daughter's prom last night so the kids were invited to attend in vehicles.

We chose for her to go in my father's classic car, there was a kid chauffered in a Lamborghini, several in a French Foreign Legion army van, one in a tractor, a ford anglia, a Morgan, two stretched limos, couple of nice BMW's and Audis.  All arrived peacefully, sensibly and respectfully.  All left in the same manner

Then there were 3 motorbikes who rode in like nutters, paraded around the playground and did burnouts on the playground before pulling a few wheelies and roaring don the street and did a burnout for around 500m leaving a mark in the highway.

They only left because their antics were upsetting the horses as one girl had arrived in a horse-drawn carriage.  What was a nice chilled out evening turned into a couple of nobheads on their plastic rockets trying to show off and endanger children (there were arund 80 or 90 kids under 12 running about.)

These people are the ones we need to crack down on.  I appreciate nice vehicles whether they be classics, sports cars, modified cars or whatever but driving like this and endangering innocent people really grips my shit.  I hope everyone pulls through
    Car crash aside, wtf is with kids schools and proms now days ? Back in my day we finished and left ! 

Are there any other American traditions we can bastardise?
    Yes, being led by a blond-haired, New York-born, incompetent racist..........Oh wait a minute!
    Fixed for you (but probably not fully...)
  • I live on a main road and am amazed at the number of boy racers there are now, who modify their exhausts to make as much racket as possible. It's about time that the authorities put a stop to it.

Feel like the whole boy racer thing has died down over the last 10 years. I remember Dartford back in the day was a hotbed for teens in Vauxhall Novas going round the one way system. The only time I ever see them now is a couple round crayford McDonald’s that get moved on as soon as they make any noise.

Feel like the whole boy racer thing has died down over the last 10 years. I remember Dartford back in the day was a hotbed for teens in Vauxhall Novas going round the one way system. The only time I ever see them now is a couple round crayford McDonald’s that get moved on as soon as they make any noise.

Times have changed, as you say gone are the 17/18 year olds, just passed their test in a Vauxhall nova hurling around town (although there will still be some).

This kind of car meet is more your early 20's+ brigade, bit of money as now working, their insurance costs have come down as a bit older. Looks like the first car (BMW?) pulled out and the other car which looked to be a Nissan 370 was driving way too fast. The nissan is a fairly fast car from the factory, for not a lot of money it can be made very quick..... that said he/she could have been driving almost any car and still been going 70+. 
  • 1905 said:
    I am a bit of a bore.
    Fixed for you mate
  • Far too many young men have learned to drive on a Play Station or XBox. 

Was that when you used to "coach kids" near there?
  • The police need to crack down aggresively on things like this and other anti social motoring.

What banks did you Rob mate
    Sperm
    Only you could come up with that answer. 
    I salute you. 
  • I used to go to lots of these in the late 90s and early 2000s. 90% of people there were just tarmac terrorists and car nuts, 10% were idiots with more bank loans and tick than talent and they were always the ones that brought the police and made the rest of the world think the rest of us were wankers 

I hope nobody loses life or limb and I feel very bad for those affected 
  • Police presumably hadn't noticed this was going on. 

At least the event was for charity....