Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sicily

We're minded to go to Sicily for up to a week late Oct early Nov.
Probably Palermo but possibly Trapani.
Won't be hiring a car.
Anyone been who can give recommendations as to things to do.
Will be viewing the church architecture, any Norman stuff and the art.
Open to hints and tips about places and also restaurants/bars.
Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:
    We're minded to go to Sicily for up to a week late Oct early Nov.
    Probably Palermo but possibly Trapani.
    Won't be hiring a car.
    Anyone been who can give recommendations as to things to do.
    Will be viewing the church architecture, any Norman stuff and the art.
    Open to hints and tips about places and also restaurants/bars.
    Thanks in anticipation.

I'd be interested in hints and tips on Sicily too. We are going for a week mid-October; villa on the beach but right in the south
  • Options
    I'm not sure how easy it is to get to without a car, but Cefalu was a really great day trip from Palermo. I didn't get the vibe that public transport is great there but would have thought that cabs would be cheap.
  • Options
    If your staying in the City then I imagine it'll be easy for excursions and going out on tours etc.

Went there on my honeymoon three years ago (Etna / Catania way) where we hired a car, really enjoyed it myself, certainly recomend a trip up Etna thats for sure, based on your location to where I was I dont think there is much else I suggest
  • Options
    So Palermo or Trapani not so good for trips. We're usually happy to just explore where we are so will probably choose Palermo as it has more to see.
    Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    We went to Palermo last October for a week. The weather was great and it was warm enough to swim. If you go, stay in the centre. We stayed outside on the "wrong" side of the city for the best beach at Mondello.

It's easy to get to Mondello, just take the bus to Palermo football ground and change there. The public buses and trams were not bad at all, I thought. There are also the usual hop on-hop off buses for sight seeing. The buses also take you up to the cathedral at Monreale. Some great views over the city.

As mentioned above, Cefalu is a good place for a day trip. Easy to reach by train. Forget about the Palermo football team. They have just been relegated from the second division for some kind of financial misconduct. We saw them lose 2-0 to another team that was relegated, and we got baked in the sun.

We went to Taormina several years ago at Easter. It poured with rain and we couldn't see Etna at all, because of the low clouds, until the final day of the trip. It was so bad that my son and I decided to rent a car and get the ferry from Messina to the mainland to watch Regio who were then in Serie A. When we got there, they told us that all the matches had been called off because the Pope had died!

Go to Palermo! ;-)
  • Options
    Went to Sicily in summer 2014 with the family. Great island that we will go back to.

We did 10 days in Trapani, then 3 in Palermo. This was a bit unconventional. Trapani is/was not so much on the tourist map, but was up and coming. We loved it, as there were few English around and you had to give Italian a bit of a go. It has atmospheric medieval narrow streets and some (guessing) ornate Baroque architecture. We stayed in an apartment in the heart of it, with Verdi wafting down the street in the afternoon from a nearby church that was being used by an opera company for rehearsals. Food was very good and not too expensive. Arancini balls are very very good and a specialty. There was a cable car up a mountain and beach. The highlight was probably a boat trip to nearby Egadi islands (sp.might be wrong) that were untouched and stunning. We also took a day trip to Seguesta, which is an ancient (Greek, I think) temple. Like a smaller version of the Parthenon.

Palermo was mad, but interesting. The market is a must. As is the Teatro Massimo, evidently the biggest opera house in Italy and where they filmed a famous scene from the Godfather. We did a tour round it.  The quatro canti sticks in the memory, even though it was just four corners of a road junction. The food was superb, especially the aubergine specialty (caponata I think?? ). 

Anyway, we loved it. Not everyone's cup of tea I imagine. Aspects of it are like the UK in the 80s. Like stray dogs and knackered buildings, but it has bags of character and didn't feel pretentious, like some bits of Europe can. 
  • Options
    Went to Palermo early 2000's, nice hotel, very central, 1st morning opened curtains and dead opposite was Hotel Crystal Palace.....put me right off my breakfast.
  • Options
    Went there in April 2017 with the wife, a great place, highly recommended.

We did a car tour, stayed at Syracuse for four days and loved the baroque architecture.

Highlights were Taormina, the Greek temples at Seguesta, and the ' Villa Romana del Casala' - near Enna, this Roman villa seems to be less publicized
    but is said to have the best mosaics in the Mediterranean. The colours are vivid still because the large villa was buried under a mudslide for a thousand years.     
  • Options
    Ex wife is Sicilian - used to go there every year (albeit to a tiny village in the middle of the island). Absolutely beautiful place, and the friendliest people on Earth. Palermo however, is hell. IMHO, its worth staying down South in Agrigento - the beaches are wonderful, there are temples to visit if you care about that, and it's not as much of a ballache to get to Etna from there as it is from Palermo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're staying in Santa Maria del Focallo in Ispica, if that means anything to anyone;the beaches look great
  • Options
    We are looking at going here next year, so reading with interest.

i fancy some
    mountain biking/cycling too any tips/knowledge on options for the more energetic gratefully received.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how easy it is to get to without a car, but Cefalu was a really great day trip from Palermo. I didn't get the vibe that public transport is great there but would have thought that cabs would be cheap.
    We went to Cefalu for 4 nights from Palermo and got the train...around 45 mins...lovely place.
  • Options
    Ex wife is Sicilian - used to go there every year (albeit to a tiny village in the middle of the island). Absolutely beautiful place, and the friendliest people on Earth. Palermo however, is hell. IMHO, its worth staying down South in Agrigento - the beaches are wonderful, there are temples to visit if you care about that, and it's not as much of a ballache to get to Etna from there as it is from Palermo
    Quite liked Palermo....even brought a Palermo shirt, a bit rough in places but the place has plenty of character. Only spent 3 nights there either side of 4 nights in Cefalu.