Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland - another statement (12/8/2019)

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Roland had an agreement to sell the club, including freeholds, for £34M, but got greedy when we won the playoff final at Wembley. In fact I’m sure he’d always believed he’d be inundated with higher offers (£50M+) once we were in the Championship. 
    When that didn’t happen he ended up falling for Southall’s con trick, basically giving the club away on the promise that he’d receive his £50M for the freeholds within the year. 
    But that unrealistic £50M figure is clearly still etched into his consciousness. So long as he’s receiving his £500k a year he seems content to sit on what he sees as an appreciating asset, while waiting for the £50M to drop into his lap. He’s deluded, of course, but has the wealth to sit and wait. 
    Our only real hope is that with Charlton’s declining fortunes he or his heirs eventually accept a lower, more realistic offer. 

Had he taken the money and invested it with a relatively simple 5% annual return he would now have c£41M and be in touching distance of his money back (at 9% growth pa - he would have his cash back).

Instead he has a couple of million of rent and an asset that in real value will have fallen whether looked at as a future development piece of land (values have collapsed in the last year), or a home for a hard up third division club.  Not mention his £50M then would be about £62M today post inflation so the gap has widened.

He sits and makes 1% pa return on his cash.

Stubbornness = Stupidity in this instance.

What a missed opportunity for him and the club.
    Sums his whole ownership up for me.
  • Options
    Building bridges won’t buy the ground. If you have a spare £30million and don’t mind giving it up for no return in order to reunite club and ground, I would fully support you.
    He never wanted to engage. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Off_it said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Off_it said:
    Cloudworm said:
    That's the point though, nobody has the money, so it seems logical to bring the ground back into the fold if possible.
    And how are you doing that exactly?
    The only feasible route out of this mire might be to build bridges with the landlord. Wait for the current lot to fuck up and fuck off. Landlord comes back to satiate his ego and prove a point. Gets us promoted through gritted teeth. Sells us to a proper investor who has the capital to buy lock, stock and ground.

What's the alternative?
    So, let me get this right, you want to "build bridges" with Uncle Roland to try to persuade him to buy the club back, spend money to get us promoted and then sell us again. Is that right?
    Yes! I know.... but the more I think about it the more crucial the issue with The Valley and Sparrows is. As long as they are separate we will continue to be a bargain bin play thing for wannabe dickheads and 3% stakeholders from Bumfuck, Missouri. I can't see a way out other than a very politically brokered deal with the landlord.

Stranger things have happened in the world....I think.
    Good to be accurate, so if I might just make one small correction: Bumfuck is actually in Tennessee.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Ferryman said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Roland had an agreement to sell the club, including freeholds, for £34M, but got greedy when we won the playoff final at Wembley. In fact I’m sure he’d always believed he’d be inundated with higher offers (£50M+) once we were in the Championship. 
    When that didn’t happen he ended up falling for Southall’s con trick, basically giving the club away on the promise that he’d receive his £50M for the freeholds within the year. 
    But that unrealistic £50M figure is clearly still etched into his consciousness. So long as he’s receiving his £500k a year he seems content to sit on what he sees as an appreciating asset, while waiting for the £50M to drop into his lap. He’s deluded, of course, but has the wealth to sit and wait. 
    Our only real hope is that with Charlton’s declining fortunes he or his heirs eventually accept a lower, more realistic offer. 
    I don't think he fell for Southall's con trick, rather he saw an opportunity to get rid of the loss making part.
    Agree, there was a great deal of dishonesty involved on his part IMO and he has got away with it. He found a dodgy way of seperating the assets from the loss making element of the club. I think it vindicates all of the protests even though he seems to have won. I won't say on here what the turd needs as it will get me in trouble.