Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What was the first League ground you visited ?

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
Suprisingly enough because i wasn't a fan, and nor was my dad......The Valley

Comments

• Upton Park......sorry....saw W Ham v Newcastle there cos I was a Shearer fan - got to meet him too!
  • upton park.. where i was taken regularly
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]upton park.. where i was taken regularly

wahay. Good job it wasn't Gay Meadow !!
  • edited June 2007
    First Ground was the Valley

First Away Match was at Loftus Road v QPR

First non-Charlton match was Palace v Everton in 1968 (Alan Ball and his White Boots)

In the 60's and 70's, When Charlton weren't at home it was common to go and watch a match. My dad often took himself off to Upton Park or WHL or Highbury or Selhurst or the Den to watch footy.
  • Gillingham, cos I used to live in Rainham and it was a nice easy start for me.

The old man didnt want to inflict on me the huge intimidating crowds that we used to get at The Valley in the early/mid 80's :)
  • The Old Den - first league ground and first Charlton game rolled into one
  • erm apart from the valley - no idea - can't remember.

selhurst at a guess
  • Ashton Gate - FA Cup
  • edited June 2007
    First ground: The Valley
    First away ground: Upton Park (Melrose, 9 seconds)
    First away ground out of London: Carrow Road (When Reidy knocked out the ref!)
    First non-Charlton ground: The old Pen (fug knows why now!)

SAVE THE HOSPITALITY 7
  • First ground: The Valley - W 5-2 v Cardiff City Div 2
    First away ground: Highfield Road, Coventry City - L 0-3 FA Cup 3rd Rnd
    First non-Charlton ground: The old Den - Millwall v Villa, Div 2 (Ref Norman Burtenshaw got beaten up by Millwall thugs)
  • Sponsored links:

• 1st ground - The Valley
    1st away ground - Selhurst
    1st Non-League ground - Watling St, Dartford.
  • 1st away ground - Portman Road. FA Cup 5th rd 1981
  • 1st The Valley
    1st Away - Highbury AFC v CAFC in FA Cup 1969
  • sell hurst, then i would imagine either qpr or the old den
  • Brisbane Road, Orient
  • Same as Southend Addicks for me the Priestfield stadium Gillingham, it looked better then than it does now.
  • The Goldstone Ground
  • 1st: The Valley
    1st non-Charlton: The old Den
  • edited June 2007
    Mine was West Ham.

I was actually brought up a West Ham fan until I went to The Valley one very cold and wet afternoon in 1983/84 1-1 draw with Derby, Steve White equaliser.

I sat in the South Stand in the 2nd half (you could just swap ends like in non league) and it kicked off all around me and my 2 mates.

Though it was *really* exciting!

There was barely 4,500 there and the Mercury ran a double centre spread about 'where have the fans gone' a picture showing about 1000 fans spread all over the East Terrace looking the size of ants!

I love a bit of adversity...
  • irst ground was selhurst ... charlton ipswich playoff semi year of leeds
    first away was hilsborough about 1988 we got thumped 4-1 david hirst for them .

never been to any other matches other than charlton in this country...
  • Sponsored links:

• 1st Ground - The Valley 1982 v boro (Simonsen's debut)
    1st Away - Ayresome Park - 83ish I think (I cheered the boro goal by mistake becuase I was used to supporting the team in red!)
    1st Non-Charlton Game - Highbury, Arsenal v West Brom - can't remember the year but Brian Talbot scored a hat-trick for Arsenal
  • edited June 2007
    Dean Court. My father's from down that way and supports them. One of his cousins was playing left back for them at the time, 'bout 84. Got the whole pre-match tour of the changing rooms etc, met the players and Harry Rednapp. They tried to get me in as a last minute mascot, but Harry was having none of it. Had his own nephew or something lined up. Typical ;-)
  • edited June 2007
    1st ground - The Valley v forest 1976
    1st away - The Manor Ground (oxford) early eighties
    1st non charlton - goldstone ground (brighton v saints) early eighties
  • 1st Non-League ground: Bexley United, Park View Road.

Who remembers Bexley United?

Like Gravesend today, was the graveyard of Charlton has beens and might have beens.

Played in the old Southern League.
    Ex-Charlton players that I remember: John Hewie, Eddie Werge + others forgotten.

And left back was Vic Akers who now managers the very successful Arsenal Ladies team!
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    And left back was Vic Akers who now managers the very successful Arsenal Ladies team!

Vic used to run the JVC centre behind the Clock End, where the Arsenal yoof and centre of excellences used to train. Used to live Mottingham way i think.
  • And his Grandson is a very good player at U12 level - on trial with Spuds I belive. Young Chirps has played club and district football with him. Vic is also Arsenals kit man as well.
  • Tranmere Rovers. Was staying with family friends on the Wirral in the summer and the gates were open so we peaked in. I was awestruck, believe it or not! Shortly after that got my Dad to take me to my first match at The Valley.
  • The Valley
    Away was Chelsea in the 70's
  • 1st game ..Valley can't remember what year but i can remember it was against maidstone in the cup and hales and flanigan had a punch up
    1st away Fulham craven cottage tuesday night game ,bloody cold thats all i remember i think it was 86 cos we played them 2 weeks later at selhurst and they went down,I remember one of thier supporters was carring a black coffin
    1st non charlton game -spurs arsenal white hart lane 1998
  • 1st Stamford Bridge - v Huddersfield
    2nd Upton Park - v Leeds
    3rd The Valley - v Norwich

All in 1972.