Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Forest Green | Carabao Cup 19/20 R1 | 13/08/19 | Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Isn't the loan window shut and opens in January?
  • Options
    the only person i blame tonight is myself - for going - a pointless load of crap - i'm done with all cup games now - as bowyer would say ' it is what it is' - a shame really but he's right - cups have replaced reserve games now
  • Options
    Expected Field to stand out but he was very poor. Definitely isn’t going to be pushing for a place in the first team with performances like that. Sarr best player on the pitch
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    curious why did we had no fire power on the bench? 
    We didn’t have any on the pitch either!
    The shot that nearly knocked out their keeper said your wrong ! 

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Not great and if Bowyer said it was a poor performance with only Sarr and Amos coming out with any credit, then I think that sums it up.  Won’t be too quick to judge some of the fringe players on tonight’s performance however, just hope they use it as a lesson and can kick on
    Some of our fringe players looked way out of their depth this evening - not very promising.
    Some were, but I’ve seen much better from the likes of Lapslie and Morgan.  Field is well touted and hasn’t had much of a pre-season.  Aneke scored on Sat.  Bowyer has come out and said Bonne isn’t ready, he may kick on.  Wiredu had a decent pre season and like Morgan and Lapslie, they’re still all very young.  JFC will probably very frustrated with his performance tonight, but hoping he will use it as a wake up call. 

Not defending the performance, but certainly won’t be writing any of them off based on that 
  • Options
    Like a junkie that needs a fix, why do I fall for this every time!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Not great and if Bowyer said it was a poor performance with only Sarr and Amos coming out with any credit, then I think that sums it up.  Won’t be too quick to judge some of the fringe players on tonight’s performance however, just hope they use it as a lesson and can kick on
    Some of our fringe players looked way out of their depth this evening - not very promising.
    Some were, but I’ve seen much better from the likes of Lapslie and Morgan.  Field is well touted and hasn’t had much of a pre-season.  Aneke scored on Sat.  Bowyer has come out and said Bonne isn’t ready, he may kick on.  Wiredu had a decent pre season and like Morgan and Lapslie, they’re still all very young.  JFC will probably very frustrated with his performance tonight, but hoping he will use it as a wake up call. 

Not defending the performance, but certainly won’t be writing any of them off based on that 
    I was quite shocked at how poor Wiredu and Doughty were defensively - poor positioning and numerous mistakes. At least Doughty offered something going forward. Both looked miles off the first team.
  • Options
    Utter waste of an evening. I’ve swerved Cup games for a number of years now but was intrigued to see our new signings and promising youngsters. I should have known better. An utterly half arsed performance where barely anyone broke sweat and we were deservedly beaten. Even the fish n chips was unusually poor. Ho hum. More detail on the players marks thread. A couple of injuries and we are in bother.  No-one on tonight’s showing will trouble the first team starters anytime soon. Deji and Naby might be able deputies if required and I fail to believe that Field won’t be half decent when he gets up to speed and plays in a better standard of game. But that’s about it. I have a major worry that Chuks isn’t championship standard. Hope I’m wrong. 
  • Options
    Isn't the loan window shut and opens in January?
    Not for League 1 and 2.
  • Options
    For those there. Any glimpse of quality from Field? I know he is a bit behind fitness wise but against a league 2 side was he really struggling?
    Looks like player who breaks up play sits and distributes. Will do a Prately job without having to be frantic to be effective. Made a couple of incisive accurate long passes but the rest were sideways. Needs to be judged when fit and he has movement in front to hit with a pass.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Utter waste of an evening. I’ve swerved Cup games for a number of years now but was intrigued to see our new signings and promising youngsters. I should have known better. An utterly half arsed performance where barely anyone broke sweat and we were deservedly beaten. Even the fish n chips was unusually poor. Ho hum. More detail on the players marks thread. A couple of injuries and we are in bother.  No-one on tonight’s showing will trouble the first team starters anytime soon. Deji and Naby might be able deputies if required and I fail to believe that Field won’t be half decent when he gets up to speed and plays in a better standard of game. But that’s about it. I have a major worry that Chuks isn’t championship standard. Hope I’m wrong. 
    Was quite impressed when I've seen Chuks play before but tonight he just looked clumsy.
  • Options
    Lots of players looked like they were going through the motions, like it was a preseason match.
  • Options
    Time to watch the playoff final again to cheer myself up as its slackened off now to every other day instead of 3 or 4 times a day
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

I was quite shocked at how poor Wiredu and Doughty were defensively - poor positioning and numerous mistakes. At least Doughty offered something going forward. Both looked miles off the first team.
    Wiredu isn't a defender to me, maybe a wing back but not a right back
  • Options
    I was most disappointed with Morgan, who was anonymous and seems to have gone backward. We will be in big trouble if Taylor gets injured or suspended as Aneke looks unfit and Bonne is miles away from the first team. Fingers crossed we get Hemed.
  • Options
    Bowyer was pragmatic tonight.

But yeah there probably could vae been more patients out on that pitch tonight.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think Bowyer wanted another game in 2 weeks time to give fringe players some minutes. I guess they will have to play U23 games instead
  • Options
    Wonder how many years i have left to ever see a good Charlton cup run.

Absolute guff again. Not sure what is a safer bet, us bollox in a cup or losing to the knuckle draggers darn the road!
  • Options
    Tonight's game was particularly poor but it really drummed home how many quality players we now have in our first eleven - especially in midfield.

Cullen in particular is streets ahead of JFC - his ability to mop up in front of the defence, turn and pass forward, pick out a quality pass and to not lose the ball - he is so good at it. He's also always in the right place at the right time and can squeeze a fantastic pass out of tight spaces - JFC might always be there but when he gets the ball he does so little with it, often just passing it back and losing any momentum we may have built (tonight gave me flashbacks of what is was like under Robbo).

Now, of course JFC is on his comeback still but Cullen is still far better than him at his peak. 

Field looked completely out of it tonight - I expect him to improve vastly on that, going but what Albion fans say about him.

Deji looked solid enough alongside Sarr, just don't shoot like that again!

Morgan and Lapslie could really do with a loan but can we afford to lose both of them? Morgan looked way off his best tonight.

Doughty showed some excellent running down the left and could probably do with a loan too to get him some playing time.

Amos was fine, I just prefer Philips! 

When the highlights include seeing a cat at half time, you know something ain't right but we won't play like that on Wednesday week with our main men out there.

Onwards and upwards! 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the game...........

Same old same old. Out the cup before it even begins. Nothing up front & the midfield was very poor. Lapslie goes backwards more than Kashi ever did. JFC won't get back into the first 11 & Morgan was unusually quiet. Field looked ring rusty but did put in 2 great last ditch tackles. Dougherty looked great going forward. Bonne ran around a lot but didnt have any service - one shot in the first half & should have taken the pen. Why JFC did I'll never know. Unless you have Stuart Pearce or Ray Stewart in your team the striker should always take the pens imo. 

Dont agree that FG deserved to go through. The defended in numbers & we had the better if limited chances. Penalties were the key......and we are fucking useless.
  • Options
    We have a proper thin squad as it is can we afford to loan out 3 players - we are going to get injuries 
  • Options
    Time to reflect:
    If JFC sçores from spot we win 1-0 and get smashed in next round against Eddie Howe's boys. Clean sheet and we move on from sterile game. Not to be.
    Field did make a couple of good tackles but needs to show more going forward.
    Strikers Aneke and Bonne needed better service but neither showed enough on night. I may be in minority but I can see a player in Bonne if he can get balls in the area. 
    Lapslie is a water carrier but won't get ahead of Pratley on that showing.
    JFC tries hard but still looks pedestrian,

9 good penalties, but unlike Red Star Belgrade last night we couldn't miss 4 pens and go through.

Poor night for the scouts who came to scoop at next window.

We move on to Barnsley with none of last night's team starting.

• Options
    It’s a shame as a little run in this competition would have been a good opportunity to give minutes to players like Wiredu and Bonne plus more opportunities for Lapslie, Amos, Field and Morgan to get themselves into the first team. These games should be £1 entry in the future and free to season ticket holders. 

I’m guessing we’ll redouble efforts to get Morgan a loan move now?
  • Options
    At least this year we won't go out of the FA Cup till the third round.Bit pissed off still about missing Bournmouth away but this shows how thin our squad is,let's hope we stay away from injuries 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    looking at last night results - barnsley,huddersfield and middlesboro also lost to teams at least a league below them. 

1 being ex prem and the other splashing the cash. 

• Options
    I'm normally one of those that finds these standard Charlton cup debacles a disgrace but find myself not caring this time for some reason. 

Bigger fish to fry.

Roll on Barnsley. 

Agree with this. FA cup is one I get annoyed about, League cup is getting more and more like the checkatrade each year. Can see most feel the same from the results last night.