Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton and Penalties

edited August 2019 in General Charlton
Charlton received 15 penalties last season

FIFTEEN!!!!!

that’s one in every 3 games. Astonishing.

It’s hard not to conclude that this has something to do with Bowyer chomping in the officials’ ears and chucking themselves down in the box.

3 games in to the season and they keep the statistic going

A direct quote from Chef Tyke. Enjoy.
http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/charlton-received-15-penalties-last-season.282578/

Comments

• Most of these penalties were won because Taylor or Grant were able to run at defenders in the box causing defenders to commit into a challenge and on numerous times get it wrong.

I could be wrong but I think our penalty count might have dropped a little after Grant left but with the way Bowyer has the team setup we'll still win penalties with our style of play.
  • Oggy Red said:

It’s hard not to conclude that this has something to do with Bowyer chomping in the officials’ ears and chucking themselves down in the box.

It's everything to do with players driving into the box, dribbling in dangerous areas, panicking defenders.

Agree - I think it has more to do with how Bowyer has us playing than what he’s saying.
  • It is not really difficult to work out.  If you have players of no little skill and plenty of footballing brain running into the area and causing defenders to make split secound decisions this will happen more often than not.

Look at Zaha. No ones favorite on here by any straw poll but a real pain in the arse for opposition defences.

Just so happens that we have the players to do this at the momment and a coaching team who are quite prepared to set up our game to exploit it.
  • I expect Johnny Williams will win us a few pennos this season......his speed and tricky footwork makes him a prime candidate to be brought down in the box.
  • Most of these penalties were won because Taylor or Grant were able to run at defenders in the box causing defenders to commit into a challenge and on numerous times get it wrong.

I could be wrong but I think our penalty count might have dropped a little after Grant left but with the way Bowyer has the team setup we'll still win penalties with our style of play.
    I'm terrible at remembering incidents but a few pens that come to mind that didnt involve the front 2.....

Solly getting tripped in front if the JS
    Fosu at Luton
    Cullen away at Perterborough
    Handball against Accrington at home

I wouldnt be surprised if the front 2 fhad anymore than a couple each given against them. 

• edited August 2019
    Most of these penalties were won because Taylor or Grant were able to run at defenders in the box causing defenders to commit into a challenge and on numerous times get it wrong.

I'm terrible at remembering incidents but a few pens that come to mind that didnt involve the front 2.....

Fosu at Luton

I wouldnt be surprised if the front 2 fhad anymore than a couple each given against them. 

Aribo at Scunthorpe. Edit: Just looked at the highlights and we didn’t win a penalty in that game, we conceded one
  • Just so happens that we have the players to do this at the moment and a coaching team who are quite prepared to set up our game to exploit it.
    Exactly, Soapy. 

The team is set up to exploit penalties.

Look at our first equaliser at Barnsley yesterday .... Williams is shepherded inside the box but in a non dangerous wide area, suddenly darts to the byeline ...... straight away the defender knows if he mistimes his challenge it's a certain penalty, allowing Williams that split second to square the ball hard across the box. Gallagher scores.

Another time in a similar situation a defender will catch Williams and bring him down - penalty.

Spot the fact that Williams is in the box - normally a winger will be trying to get his cross in from wide outside the box; the defender will clatter him and it's only a free kick. 

And that's the difference, our players are instructed to drive into the box.

Fosu at Luton

Fair point, I wasn't keeping count but my point was more about the style of play winning penalties than who specifically. If we keep playing the way we are with Taylor and Leko up front I expect we'll win more penalties even if it's not just the strikers winning them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Long may it continue, wasn't it just a couple of seasons ago, that we went a whole season ago without winning a penalty?
  • Penalties won per player:

Taylor 4
    Grant 3
    Aribo 2
    Solly 1
    Fosu 1
    Pratley 1
    Cullen 1
    Reeves 1
    + Handball 1
    Fair enough. As I said, I'm terrible at remembering specific incidents. Front 2 got almost 50% of those given. 
  • I think for years we have wished players will attack the penalty area and with a fair degree of skill and it's either a shot or a goal
  • Charlton received 15 penalties last season

FIFTEEN!!!!!

that’s one in every 3 games. Astonishing.

3 games in to the season and they keep the statistic going

A direct quote from Chef Tyke. Enjoy.
    http://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/charlton-received-15-penalties-last-season.282578/

Lots of petty bickering between fans that support the same team on that forum.   Where have I seen that before??