Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    Think Nigel Clough may want to build a team around him, but they probally have the same problem as us with the wage cap which is lower in league 2.  
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Oggy Red said:
    Has been told he can leave on a Free Transfer... Sad way for his Charlton career to end!!

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-charlton-athletic-midfielder-cleared-to-leave-on-free-transfer/
    Just read the article:

"But the South London Press has been told that Lapslie has been cleared to make a permanent exit from SE7."

The wording makes it sound like Mansfield's or the player's request.

Wouldnt be surprised either if its at Lapslie's request... He's a Charlton fan himself so knows what is at stake
    Doubt it and not what Cawley is saying.

"For (Charlton) to do business in this window they are going to need to move players on."
  • Options
    All the very best George for the future.
  • Options
    Bad call... this boy will end up in the championship in a few years time. 

Should keep him and move on some of the other cr8p in the squad
  • Options
    Does feel like a simpleton put the wage cap structure together

Continues to baffle me why Academy players arent exempt
  • Options
    Does feel like a simpleton put the wage cap structure together

Continues to baffle me why Academy players arent exempt
    Well, they are ....... providing they qualify with under 21 ruling and conditions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Webbja77 said:
    Bad call... this boy will end up in the championship in a few years time. 

Should keep him and move on some of the other cr8p in the squad
    We are going to move all the other crap on.
  • Options
    Playing well and his stock his high. Can imagine he will have the pick of any club in league 2 and even league 1. Wish him well for the rest of his career. 

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Amazing what a loan spell in league two can do to people's opinion of a player. He was never rated on here. 

Good luck George. Always worked hard.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Amazing what a loan spell in league two can do to people's opinion of a player. He was never rated on here. 

Bit like Karlan Grant just before he went to Crawley...
  • Options
    From a selfish perspective it’s annoying. 

But you can see why the caps been put in place. Means Lapslie will get regular football somewhere rather than sitting on our bench.

Whether it’s the right decision to release him, I don’t know.
  • Options
    We just don’t know whether or not he can make an impact for us.  He’s had a great loan spell, but it’s too hard to call whether or not he can come in and be the sort of success people are thinking he could be.

at the moment, our midfield is crowded, but mediocre.  There’s an argument he should be given a shot, but I am guessing Bowyer/Gallen feel that he’s not going to get in ahead of anyone, and we need players in other positions.

I personally would like us to try and move on JFC and Bogle, and send Levitt back.  I know the first 2 of those will never happen, but I think they’re two poor players taking up a decent wage.  Levitt could go back as he’s not getting much game time.  
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Good luck George.
    A necessary decision as we are close to the wage cap and unable to bring in the striker, wide man and centre half without letting others go.

Presume Oztumer will be next.
  • Options
    Maybe we let him go on a free now, freeing up salary cap space and have an agreement with him to come back when we get promoted
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Good luck to him, would liked to have kept hold of him as the loan seems to be doing the trick.

Watson
    Pratley
    JFC
    Williams
    Shinnie
    Lapslie

Either out of contract in the summer or about to be moved on. We'll need a big recruitment drive for CMs in the summer, if we're still in this league with the salary cap then...ugh

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    .Lincsaddick said:
    strange days indeed .. a young player is sent away to 'find form' and scores 4 in 14 for a struggling club albeit in a lower league .. it seems that the CAFC powers that be are now prepared to let him go when he has achieved the object of his loan spell, i.e. getting into form and getting experience .. there is not another box to box midfielder at Charlton who is in anywhere near the same form .. far from being available for a permanent move away, Lapslie should be recalled and installed in Bowyer's first team squad, UNLESS of course, he has pissed somebody off SOOO much that he is a real persona non grata at the Valley
    I think you're reading too much into it, Lincs.

It's no secret that Charlton are trying to bring in players to help secure promotion.
    Because of the wage cap, some players need to be moved on.

My take is ..... it's been decided Lapslie is one of those. Mansfield have been given 1st option on his availability as the player is doing well there.
    They may have even approached Charlton themselves?

The problem is that wage cap - there's no room to allow a player the time to find his feet at the club.
    And no doubt, with promotion the target, the intention is to bring in players who can improve the team right now.

but why look around for a midfielder to come in cold and take time to settle, when there is 'one of our own' in good form and ready to rumble .. there are quite a few players at the Valley who could be moved on to save a few quid .. alas, as someone else posted, who wants to recycle a few CAFC retreads when all clubs are affected by the salary dunces cap
  • Options
    I liked George. Always gives 100% and never let us down. Really would liked to have see how he would perform now for us. I wish him huge success.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    .Lincsaddick said:
    strange days indeed .. a young player is sent away to 'find form' and scores 4 in 14 for a struggling club albeit in a lower league .. it seems that the CAFC powers that be are now prepared to let him go when he has achieved the object of his loan spell, i.e. getting into form and getting experience .. there is not another box to box midfielder at Charlton who is in anywhere near the same form .. far from being available for a permanent move away, Lapslie should be recalled and installed in Bowyer's first team squad, UNLESS of course, he has pissed somebody off SOOO much that he is a real persona non grata at the Valley

It's no secret that Charlton are trying to bring in players to help secure promotion.

My take is ..... it's been decided Lapslie is one of those. Mansfield have been given 1st option on his availability as the player is doing well there.

The problem is that wage cap - there's no room to allow a player the time to find his feet at the club.
    And no doubt, with promotion the target, the intention is to bring in players who can improve the team right now.

but why look around for a midfielder to come in cold and take time to settle, when there is 'one of our own' in good form and ready to rumble .. there are quite a few players at the Valley who could be moved on to save a few quid .. alas, as someone else posted, who wants to recycle a few CAFC retreads when all clubs are affected by the salary dunces cap
    I think the answer is a simple one really, they don't think he's good enough. 
  • Options
    Have very mixed feelings about this ...you cant fault him for effort but it seems he is being sacrificed for the greater good.  I hope he goes on to have a decent career. I wish him well ,he'll always be liked by the valley faithful 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Not true.

Some rated him, others didn't.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    .Lincsaddick said:

I think the answer is a simple one really, they don't think he's good enough. 
    Agree or at least they feel they can get better.

But some (not all, not me but some) feel Bowyer doesn't know what he's doing.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    .Lincsaddick said:

Lincs, I'm sad to see George leave. I share your frustration, mate.

Personally, I feel that a re-invigorated, confident George would be a breath of fresh in our slow predictable midfield.
    We could do with his energy, commitment and sheer enthusiasm - who knows, it could rub off on others, lifting the spirit of the team.

But, remember, he has his limitations too ...... and together with the wage cap, Sandgaard's naked ambition for promotion this season, and the weight of expectation on Bowyer's shoulders, it seems to have been considered there's no time or room in the squad for George.

Gallen and Bowyer are shuffling the pack. That's what happens in football.