Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• All the best to him, am sure we'll come to regret this and I doubt there's anyone involved who wants this to happen, but I doubt we've done it unless we felt there was any other choice
  • Wishing George all the best. Could never fault the effort he put into each and every game.
  • I just love his passion & energy, we don't have that type of player, the nearest to him is Shinnie.
    To many like Watson & Pratley & Gilbey.

I feel sad, remembering his display against Pompey away.
    As others have said this could come back to bite us on the bum. 
  • A lot of assumptions that George will leave in January but Mansfield might be willing to wait until the summer.

We can't force Lapslie to leave until his contract expires but in Gallen we trust.
    I think it's fair to say his time with us is coming to an end though, whether that be in the next few weeks or in the summer. 
  • A lot of assumptions that George will leave in January but Mansfield might be willing to wait until the summer.

We can't force Lapslie to leave until his contract expires but in Gallen we trust.
    I think it's fair to say his time with us is coming to an end though, whether that be in the next few weeks or in the summer. 
    Since Cawley has said we're giving him a free transfer that is self-evident.

Sorry misread your post. Having said that, he doesn't necessarily have to go to Mansfield so for me that increases the probability it will be in January. 
  • Sponsored links:

• So Lapslie had one very good game v Pompey A.
    JFC had one very good game v Fulham A.
    Oshalaja had one good game v Forest H.

Personally, I'm looking for a lot more than a player having one very good game in their Charlton career.
    That's very harsh on JFC. He's not going to be in the League 1 TOTY but he's a decent player at this level and has had a number of good games for us, a couple this season already. 
    Yes, he's had a number of good games a load of absolute stinkers and one VERY good game.
  • So Lapslie had one very good game v Pompey A.
    JFC had one very good game v Fulham A.
    Oshalaja had one good game v Forest H.

Personally, I'm looking for a lot more than a player having one very good game in their Charlton career.
    That's very harsh on JFC. He's not going to be in the League 1 TOTY but he's a decent player at this level and has had a number of good games for us, a couple this season already. 
    Yes, he's had a number of good games a load of absolute stinkers and one VERY good game.
    Still disagree. I think it's tricky for a player like him to be noticed as he's just a tidy player. Not a tough tackling DM or goalscoring AM so harder to stand out but I think he's had a few outstanding games. 
  • Do you remember who these outstanding games he had were against?
  • Not all of them no but I don't remember every single players outstanding games. Admittedly I should as there's not been many over the last 6-7 years!
  • Any of JFC's outstanding games apart from Fulham A?
    Recently v AFC?
  • edited December 2020
    Any of JFC's outstanding games apart from Fulham A?
    Recently v AFC?
    Yes I agree it was definitely one of his best games for CAFC.
    The best he had played for some time.
    CL voted him our 5th best player.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90621/statbank-charlton-5-2-afc-wimbledon
    Recently v AFC?
    Yes I agree it was definitely one of his best games for CAFC.
    CL voted him our 5th best player.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90621/statbank-charlton-5-2-afc-wimbledon
    Generally it’s a matter of opinion but I definitely remember coming away and thinking how well he’d played. JFC is the type of midfielder who is always going to struggle to shine as he’s just a tidy midfielder who does the basics. Admittedly it’s been a while due to injuries and lack of playing time but I was a big fan a couple of years ago. I think he can play a big part this season. If you disagree that’s cool, I just wouldn’t put him in the same league as Lapslie and Deji who I agree have had very few decent games. Feel a bit sorry for Deji mind, played in 4/5 different positions last year and did his best in a League he was clearly just not quite cut out for. 
  • edited December 2020
    Yes if JFC played most games like he did v AFC I would be a fan.
    My point is he doesn't. 
    I would say that was his 2nd best game for CAFC out of 70 odd appearances.
    1very good, say 5 good, 30 average, 35 poor.
    5/6 good games out of 70 is nowhere near good enough for me, that's roughly 2/3 good games a season.
    I agree with Scoham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    A lot can happen over the next 5 months but I don't think JFC will be here next season. He's not Championship standard and in this league probably not worth what we're paying him with the salary cap in place. Tidy player on the ball and a decent left foot but I'm sure we'll be looking for CMs who can offer more than that.
    I’d probably agree, would replace if we went up. He’d have to take a cut but no hesitation in keeping him as a League 1 player however. 
    Last game of the season... Swindon at the Valley, won 4-0

Seem to remember JFC getting a brace that game

Thought he was very good at Pompey this season aswell. The pass to Maatsen for Williams’ goal was outstanding. Overall I think he had a good season when we lost in the play offs (his only full injury free season at the club incidentally). 

We've never beaten Swindon 4-0 as far as I remember.
  • edited December 2020
    Any of JFC's outstanding games apart from Fulham A?

Thought he was very good at Pompey this season aswell. The pass to Maatsen for Williams’ goal was outstanding. Overall I think he had a good season when we lost in the play offs (his only full injury free season at the club incidentally). 
    Yeah those ACL injuries really do seem bugger you up beyond recovery!!

Reckon he'd have been an asset in 2018/19
  • edited December 2020
    He scored 1 in a 3-0 April 2017 v  a relegated to L2 Swindon.
  • I was really hoping he'd come back from the loan ready to step up... I think he had it in him

Will be sad to see him go, but have absolute faith in Gallen and Bowyer's decision making 
  • edited December 2020
    He scored 1 in a 3-0 April 2017 v  a relegated to L2 Swindon.
    I just had a look back as I couldn't remember.
    Yes it looks like he had a good game v Swindon and was ranked 4th best.
    I quickly totted up where he came season 16/17, it was 18th with a 5.75 average.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/77803/statbank-charlton-3-0-swindon#latest
  • Looks like he did ok against Bolton too :) 
  • edited December 2020
    A lot of assumptions that George will leave in January but Mansfield might be willing to wait until the summer.

Although as Lapslie is under contract until June 30th, the club can't give him a free transfer now without the player's consent.

This is no doubt a decision that suits all parties: Charlton, Lapslie and probably Mansfield.