Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Very best wishes George.
    I hope you have a great future in football.
    Good luck to Mansfield Town and Nigel Clough.
  • Hope this is what George wants.

Seems happy at Mansfield and will have had time to research the area for a permanent move with his young family.

Wish him all the luck in the world.
  • edited January 2021
    He’s going to shine there. Really happy for him. Hope he does well and we get a nice chunk of sell on money.
  • Their fans are going absolutely berserk (in a good way) on social media, lol
  • Only positive comments on Stagsnet.
  • MattF said:
    Rich doesn't think the salary cap was an issue here.

I'm not exactly sure it works that way...although it could. I thought - and it is just that - that if loaned out they aren't part of your announced squad and don't count towards the cap.

If thats true not sure why we sold him
  • Good luck to him. A fresh start and an opportunity to show what he can do with a regular starting place (which he has already grabbed with both hands whilst on loan there). Might turn out to be one of those players who had to take a drop down a division to then start working his way back up.
  • MattF said:
    Rich doesn't think the salary cap was an issue here.

I'm not exactly sure it works that way...although it could. I thought - and it is just that - that if loaned out they aren't part of your announced squad and don't count towards the cap.

If thats true not sure why we sold him
    I assume the issue is more due to the difficulty of offering him a new contract that would count next season or selling him now before he becomes a free agent, and we've gone with the latter
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck George, he's at the stage of his career where he needs to be a regular, to be a "key" player instead of someone you bring in because other players are missing

A great manager to learn from too
  • Gutted about this, really like George as a player and feel he could still do a job for us.

Good luck George hope you have a great career.
  • Sad to see him go.

Let's dream that he'll become our prodigal Premier League son.
  • Good luck George.

It was a shame Lapslie got injured when Vennings and Dempsey got games in our midfield when we had the injury crisis.
    Could end up a decent League 1 player,
    Never played enough games in a row to find out but the Championship looked too high for him.
    More of a Bradley Pritchard athletic water carrier midfielder but still room for improvement.

It wasn't to be at Cafc.

• Always gave his all for the shirt.

Good luck, George.
  • Good luck George. 
  • Good luck to the lad.  Charlton fan, decent fella.  I hope us moving him on is a decision we regret in future and that he has a wonderful career at a very good level in football.  As said above, would be great to see him back in a Charlton shirt again in future on basis the club and him both improve our lots and meet in the Championship/PL... Plenty of others have done so recently... Green, Haynes, Oztumer and Wilson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck George.. always gave 100%
  • Good luck George seems a level headed young man remember seeing him walk down the Fulham Road in his Charlton tracksuit after the game last year no airs and graces hope you have a good career
  • Decent player. Hope he makes us regret letting him go.
  • All the best George. See you in a couple of seasons back in the Championship. 
  • Best of luck George, sad to see him go
  • All the best, George. That clearance off the line against Portsmouth with your face will, in its own small way, go down in Charlton folklore.
  • edited January 2021
    All the best George, I hear Mansfield have got big ambitions, and now they’ve got the right manager in charge slowly they will push upwards.

Mansfield need a goal scorer now to turn draws into wins.

Can see George playing regularly in the championship within 2 seasons, improving player who always give his all, just needs good coaching and someone to believe in him, hope we don’t regret this one, our midfield is not great at the moment, would  prefer George to Watson or Pratley being completely honest, Gilbeys not set the world on fire either.
  • Good luck Georgie boy
  • Come back!