Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New kits - 2020/21 Season

Comments

• Options
    The only big brand I would go with is Umbro (I still think they are a big brand, cause I'm old) 
  • Options
    Always love the stuff Kappa bring out. Not great for the larger man mind.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The only big brand I would go with is Umbro (I still think they are a big brand, cause I'm old) 
    Some of the recent Umbro kits have been good for other clubs. I think they are actually owned by Nike now though, so Im not sure if that means they would dump a template on us. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:
    Some of the recent Umbro kits have been good for other clubs. I think they are actually owned by Nike now though, so Im not sure if that means they would dump a template on us. 

The story I heard and it could be nonsense was, Nike wanted the England contract but England were tied in with Umbro.  Nike bought Umbro, took over England's shirt deal and then sold Umbro on.

• Options
    Yeah, Nike dumped Umbro off after a couple of years for a loss, but not before getting their hands on the England deal. 
  • Options
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

The story I heard and it could be nonsense was, Nike wanted the England contract but England were tied in with Umbro.  Nike bought Umbro, took over England's shirt deal and then sold Umbro on.

100% true. Umbro signed a long term deal with England (lf my memory serves me right it was for something like 20 years). Nike wanted the England deal as its one of the top selling kits in the business and bought Umbro. They then produced a couple of kits under the Umbro label before dumping it. 
  • Options
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

Looks like you are correct. Bought by Nike in last 2007, sold on to Iconix Brands in 2012. On the surface it looks like Nike made a big lose, bought for £285m, sold for $225m (so around a £100m loss in 5 years), but I'm sure Nike moved for more than that in contracts over from Umbro to themselves.

If you look at the current Nike deal with the FA, it's supposedly worth £400 million (to the FA) over 3 years. I can't imagine Nike taking anything less than a £100m profit on that deal, so just on deals with the FA since they acquired Umbro they've probably made their money back 3 times over.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

100% true. Umbro signed a long term deal with England (lf my memory serves me right it was for something like 20 years). Nike wanted the England deal as its one of the top selling kits in the business and bought Umbro. They then produced a couple of kits under the Umbro label before dumping it. 
    So are Umbro no more then ? I noticed they can supply the England rugby team. I've never seen a rugby team wearing Umbro and it doesn't really look right, like many new things I guess.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

So are Umbro no more then ? I noticed they can supply the England rugby team. I've never seen a rugby team wearing Umbro and it doesn't really look right, like many new things I guess.
    still exist, owned by a US clothing company ICONIX, and they are dabbling in rugby as well as football 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

I think Umbro supplied kits for the Lions in the 80s? Theyve also done training wear for England rugby too in the 80s early 90s, so theres is a link with Umbro and Rugby. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Umbro still produce kits in South America
  • Options
    Umbro have teamed up with pretty green to do a range of retro football stuff largely based around England's euro 96 kit and training wear 
  • Options
    West Ham wear Umbro along with a number of Championship clubs and the Republic of Ireland
  • Options
    West Ham wear Umbro along with a number of Championship clubs and the Republic of Ireland
    as do Hearts
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

I think it was the Man UTD shirts Nike wanted not England.
    Umbro didn't want to sell as it was from Manchester and all big fans of the club.
    Nike bought Umbro, became the UTD Sponsor and then sold Umbro when Ferguson retired and they had a dip in form.
  • Options
    I would say Hummel have given us our best kits of the 21st century. Macron did us a couple of decent ones too. I would not be supportive of the idea we go to one of the big boys - I don't want see anyone else wearing our kit just in different colours. I'd honestly prefer a lower quality kit designed by a smaller firm but that was bespoke. Not that I the Hummel kits are low quality - definitely better than the Nike ones we had.
  • Options
    For quality you have to go a long way to beat Adidas.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    tom_k said:
    cafc999 said:
    milo said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Rothko said:

I think it was the Man UTD shirts Nike wanted not England.
    Umbro didn't want to sell as it was from Manchester and all big fans of the club.
    Nike bought Umbro, became the UTD Sponsor and then sold Umbro when Ferguson retired and they had a dip in form.
    I spoke directly to the Nike rep during the kit unveil at Nike Town London. According to them the England shrt was something like the 2nd or 3rd top selling shirt in the world at the time. Brazil was top. The rumour had been going around for a few months from various kit reps visiting the store where I had a long term contract (Soccer Scene) 

Pretty certain that Nike had already secured the Utd deal, and had so for a number of years too.

Soccer Scene used to get boxes of England shirts the week before release so they could print them up with names & numbers in prep for launch day and they used to fly out. The biggest selling name? Beckham - even after he was dropped, and by a long way too! 

Adidas were toying with the idea of England too but knew they had no chance as they were German.

Mike Ashley also had a secret deal with Umbro for the England shirts where he got to sell them a day early and some of the lables even had sports direct printed on them, he also got to sell them cheaper.
  • Options
    Overpriced chuff... All the big names are now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Funny you should post that. A couple of months ago I saw a pic of Liam at Maine Road (I think) wearing an Umbro kagool. A few days later I was doing some online shopping and found a navy blue Umbro tracksuit top for 15 quid. Thought it was bit old school, and not something you see around too much, so picked it up. Not sure I'd spend £75+ for a Pretty Green version though!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

How much are we selling shirts for btw?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Too much.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Too much.
    even with the 25% off!

really like our Hummel kits, best for many a year................still agree though that adidas make the best
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Too much.
    even with the 25% off!

really like our Hummel kits, best for many a year................still agree though that adidas make the best
    Historically, yes. However, nowadays it would just be another template kit for us if we went with Adidas.
  • Options
    Yeah, Adidas trade a lot on heritage, to cover for the rubbish they produce now
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

£32.50 + £5 delivery,
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Dazzler21 said:

£32.50 + £5 delivery,

This would be a reasonable price when released, not when on sale.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Dazzler21 said:

£32.50 + £5 delivery,

This would be a reasonable price when released, not when on sale.
    Sorry, it was £37.50 + £5 delivery. 
    £42.50 in total