Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abdul Qadir & Chester Williams RIP

Sadly two sporting greats have passed on today

I remember Abdul Qadir (63) when mystery spinners were REALLY a mystery, and his leg spinners bamboozled batsmen, while Chester Williams (49) was a key member of the South African World Cup winning team of 1995

Comments

• both comparatively young men .. R I P
  • A sad day for sport - losing two true greats. Rest in peace. 
  • I'll always remember one of the lads I go to The Valley with giving me a cricket update   "Looking bad, Abdul Qadirs turning the ball backwards!" And he seemed to be doing just that.

Both far too young, RIP.
  • Shocked about Abdul Qadir but RIP to both
  • Very sad indeed.

Abdul Qadir was one of cricket's spinning greats and Chester Williams was a very talented wing three quarter whom I believe was the first non-white South African test player once apartheid thankfully came to an end.
  • RIP gentlemen. 
  • Williams is the fourth member of that 1995 World Cup-winning side to die tragically early, after Kruger, Van der Westhuizen and Small
  • edited September 2019
    Williams is the fourth member of that 1995 World Cup-winning side to die tragically early, after Kruger, Van der Westhuizen and Small
    an interesting, if worrying fact .. the odds against this happening to relatively young men from the same team must be VERY high .. SA rugby has always been very attritional, but there again so is NZ rugby .. Lomu who was Small's opposite number for NZ in that final  also died at quite a young age
  • Sponsored links:

• Williams is the fourth member of that 1995 World Cup-winning side to die tragically early, after Kruger, Van der Westhuizen and Small
    an interesting, if worrying fact .. the odds against this happening to relatively young men from the same team must be VERY high .. SA rugby has always been very attritional, but there again so is NZ rugby .. Lomu who was Small's opposite number for NZ also died at quite a young age
    Yes my thoughts exactly. Always thought the number of the NZ team getting food poisoning was 'strange' too
    an interesting, if worrying fact .. the odds against this happening to relatively young men from the same team must be VERY high .. SA rugby has always been very attritional, but there again so is NZ rugby .. Lomu who was Small's opposite number for NZ also died at quite a young age
    Yes my thoughts exactly. Always thought the number of the NZ team getting food poisoning was 'strange' too
    the desire for the new 'rainbow nation' to win that tournament was almost out of control .. I was and still am convinced that the ABs were got at before the final .. Whatever, Nelson Mandela handing over the trophy to captain Pienaar whilst wearing the same number 6 'Boks shirt .. never to be forgotten .. shame that it has taken the untimely deaths to bring back good memories
    the desire for the new 'rainbow nation' to win that tournament was almost out of control .. I was and still am convinced that the ABs were got at before the final .. Whatever, Nelson Mandela handing over the trophy to captain Pienaar whilst wearing the same number 6 'Boks shirt .. never to be forgotten .. shame that it has taken the untimely deaths to bring back good memories
    Spot on
  • RIP x 2 
  • Loved watching qadir. Especially against a twitchy derek Randall. RIP 
  • Very sad. I do question the physical impact of sport on people in later life. Specially if they don't exercise for many years. Also some unknown effects of hard tackles in rugby and what it can do to the body. Don't like mentioning it but I do wonder if use of drugs in this era has caused early deaths.
  • IT_Andy said:
    Very sad. I do question the physical impact of sport on people in later life. Specially if they don't exercise for many years. Also some unknown effects of hard tackles in rugby and what it can do to the body. Don't like mentioning it but I do wonder if use of drugs in this era has caused early deaths.
    Yes, it does seem like a horrible coincidence otherwise for 4 members of the 1995 side to pass on already, 2 of heart attacks within a couple of months