Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BBC to scrap Red Button text information service early 2020!

edited September 2019 in Not Sports Related
Bugger.......I am a regular user of this service since way back when it was called Teletext and latterly Ceefax.
Really going to miss this as it’s my ‘go to’ way of finding out all sorts of stuff, it’s second nature to me......I have used it constantly for the last 45 years.
Bloody outrageous if you ask me!

Comments

• Think the only thing I've used it for was to watch a different match when Wimbledon is on. 
  • Talal said:
    Think the only thing I've used it for was to watch a different match when Wimbledon is on. 
    That service will still continue,it is' teletext'option that is being scrapped.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49715314
  • I ill miss it too.
  • For donkeys years I get home, make a brew then pop teletext on. 302 for the footy. 101 for the news then 160 for local news. 301 for the general sport then 401 for the weather. That ritual takes the same time as drinking my brew, gutted it's going.
  • Never looked at it via red button.
    Only when ceefax
  • In an era when we are bombarded with 'news' every half hour around the clock (every 1/4 hour on some commercial stations), teletext has been deemed redundant. Another episode of freedom of choice falling victim to BBC cuts. Surely a reduction in Gazza Lickmelater's extortionate salary would have part enabled this service to continue ?
  • It's 2019 now ffs... Can't believe they've kept this going... What a waste of money.
  • reminds me of the Peter Kay sketch - get on teletext

Booked it, packed it, fooked off
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    McBobbin said:
    Anyone else used to spend 2 hours on a Saturday watching the ceefax scroll through to see if there was a score? Internet rather makes it redundant, though I do miss playing Bamboozle
    Its how I learnt we'd won promotion at Blackburn in 2000

No internet at my Nan's or SKY (for Soccer Saturday) so had to watch the three pages of scores to scroll by for 90mins

Junior Bamboozle was / still is more my level though
  • edited September 2019
    People talking about watching the 3 pages of scores for 2 hours, did no one press(i cant remember what page number it was now it was years ago) but you could still watch what was on tv and everytime there was a goal it flashed up, like a smaller version of what they now call Vidiprinter
  • Just went on Google to try and find the page number and saw a news story with this picture 

All 5 goalscorers ex Charlton haha

• Dazzler21 said:
    It's 2019 now ffs... Can't believe they've kept this going... What a waste of money.
    Dazzler......that’s an extremely selfish and self opinionated viewpoint young fella.
    It’s a reliable time and tested media tool to this day, very easy to access and use.
    Just because you don’t use it there’s no need to be so dismissive of those of us who have relied on it for decades........I love it and will be severely inconvenienced by its demise.
  • Just went on Google to try and find the page number and saw a news story with this picture 

I went straight from a new year's party to the Valley Cafe for breakfast, worked the turnstiles then watched that game.

I was frankly a mess by about 6 o'clock that night. 

I went straight from a new year's party to the Valley Cafe for breakfast, worked the turnstiles then watched that game.

Are you Robert Lee?
  • edited September 2019
    Just went on Google to try and find the page number and saw a news story with this picture 

Are you Robert Lee?
    Sadly the rest of my working life hasn't gone the same way as his! 

The full report of your state was on CEEFAX p 303 2/2
  • I never knew it existed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not even looked at Ceefax for at least 25 years and was somewhat surprised to learn it was still going at all.
  • People talking about watching the 3 pages of scores for 2 hours, did no one press(i cant remember what page number it was now it was years ago) but you could still watch what was on tv and everytime there was a goal it flashed up, like a smaller version of what they now call Vidiprinter
    Update
  • My wife says I could never find the red button anyway
  • Stig said:
    McBobbin said:
    Anyone else used to spend 2 hours on a Saturday watching the ceefax scroll through to see if there was a score? Internet rather makes it redundant, though I do miss playing Bamboozle
    Bamber Boozler is fondly remembered in our house for his close resemblance to my wife's dad and to Walter Matthau.

He always reminded me of Mr Cunningham from Happy Days:

• Gutted I won't be able to read about a British athlete winning bronze in the Sri Lankan turtle throwing competition or whatever else it is the bbc classify as sports coverage these days
  • cabbles said:
    Gutted I won't be able to read about a British athlete winning bronze in the Sri Lankan turtle throwing competition or whatever else it is the bbc classify as sports coverage these days
    But they are only focusing on Women’s Turtle throwing because it’s the BBC.
  • Page The Oracle 
  • Funny how people still rely on it with all the technology we have available to us, my grandad recently got his first smartphone and internet installed at his house but would still go to red button to check the results at the horses.