Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Haka

Comments

• Options
    ITT: White people getting angry and dropping C bombs after being called out.
    You must be drunk, I didn't insult the haka at all, in fact I asked if it should be protected from cultural appropriation by the New Zealand national team.

You then started being racist and didn't like it when you were called a bad name.
    When did I say my comment was anything to do with you? 

Honest question - when was I being racist?
    Where does the tag "gammon" come from. Genuine question
    Dickens coined it in Nicholas Nickleby 

Here's the quote: 

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Language evolves, just because a word was once not offensive does not mean it stays that way forever.
    Okay, well, why does it offend you?
    I think any term/insult referring to skin colour in wrong, doesn't matter if the victim is black/white/asian etc, same standards should apply to everyone.
    So why does it offend you?
    Do you have a problem with reading? Would it be ok if I called a black man a malteser, or an asian a banana?
    Are you black, a malteser, an asian or a banana?
    No, I'm white being called gammon, what's the difference between any of the examples? Nothing, you were being racist.
    There's a pretty big difference between a white man calling a black man a maltesar and a white man calling another white man gammon. If you can't see that then... whelp.
    But I have no idea of your skin colour, do i? Also, if you recall many deemed it racist when Ashley Cole (I think) called another black-man a choc ice, so whilst it might not be as bad, it's certainly not OK!

As some, like me, who lives as a minority, I would expect a little more sensitivity, sadly you seem lacking in that area, assuming the gender of an entire forum and racially sensitive language.
    Funny your racial sensitivity doesn't extend to people who aren't white. Oh well. 
    But it does, which is why I've pulled people up for unacceptable comments.
  • Options
    You must be drunk, I didn't insult the haka at all, in fact I asked if it should be protected from cultural appropriation by the New Zealand national team.

You then started being racist and didn't like it when you were called a bad name.

Here's the quote: 

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Language evolves, just because a word was once not offensive does not mean it stays that way forever.
    I think any term/insult referring to skin colour in wrong, doesn't matter if the victim is black/white/asian etc, same standards should apply to everyone.
    Do you have a problem with reading? Would it be ok if I called a black man a malteser, or an asian a banana?
    No, I'm white being called gammon, what's the difference between any of the examples? Nothing, you were being racist.
    There's a pretty big difference between a white man calling a black man a maltesar and a white man calling another white man gammon. If you can't see that then... whelp.
    You're getting it all wrong today mate, didn't you read the memo? 
    Is it "lets post casually racist shit online" day again? If so, yeah i think i missed that one mate.
    No no no, the one that says taking the piss out of someone's skin colour is offensive and racist, even if it's the same as your own.
  • Options
    Is this thread a demonstration of what happens after a Haka?
  • Options
    Stop the world I want to get off...Come into my workplace see what people call each other, some of you pansies wouldn't last 5 minutes....Ooops sorry didn't mean to offend any flowers reading in.

Go on the brexit thread and see what I get called...I just bloody laugh at it.
  • Options

Here's the quote: 

Is it "lets post casually racist shit online" day again? If so, yeah i think i missed that one mate.
    No no no, the one that says taking the piss out of someone's skin colour is offensive and racist, even if it's the same as your own.
    When did i take the piss out of people's skin colour? I took the piss out of people's ignorant and racist crap. I find it quite revealing that everyone seems to be dogpiling on the term gammon - a term that isn't racist, and not on people taking the piss out of a maori tradition. 

Let's not also get into the sociological discussion on whether you even can be racist to a white person.
  • Options
    In the same memo as I mention above, the victim of the racism doesn't need to be offended for it to be considered racist. It just is by definition 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    When did the All Blacks first Haka before a game?
    Late 1800’s i beleive.
  • Options
    psychologically brilliant .. the opposition stand around watching the opposition winding themselves up .. as I mentioned on a previous post about the haka, the oppos should be allowed to bombard the ABs with rotten tomatoes during their 'war dance'
    I don’t believe the NZ haka is a war dance.
  • Options
    I've just read this.
    Kentaddick's trolling has hit heights not seen for quite some time on here.

I really can't understand how some people's lives are so empty, that they have to take hours of their day trying to provoke arguments with others. So sad and childish.
  • Options

Here's the quote: 

When did i take the piss out of people's skin colour? I took the piss out of people's ignorant and racist crap. I find it quite revealing that everyone seems to be dogpiling on the term gammon - a term that isn't racist, and not on people taking the piss out of a maori tradition. 

Let's not also get into the sociological discussion on whether you even can be racist to a white person.
    Most of us didn't want to get into any discussion regarding race. The op was about the Haka being done in a sporting arena and whether or not it's embarrassing.  Then you woke up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Here's the quote: 

Who was taking the piss out of a Maori tradition? People said it was shit and unnecessary at the start of a rugby match, that's hardly taking the piss, is it?

Of course you can be racist to a white person, I don't know if you've ever been somewhere where white people are the minority but it happens quite a lot, white people do not have a monopoly on being racist shit bags, unfortunately, as an example 洋鬼子 is a racial term aimed at white people in order to be offensive.
  • Options
    psychologically brilliant .. the opposition stand around watching the opposition winding themselves up .. as I mentioned on a previous post about the haka, the oppos should be allowed to bombard the ABs with rotten tomatoes during their 'war dance'
    I don’t believe the NZ haka is a war dance.
    discussing it has certainly started a handbags war on here
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Here's the quote: 

Most of us didn't want to get into any discussion regarding race. The op was about the Haka being done in a sporting arena and whether or not it's embarrassing.  Then you woke up
    Nah, I called some one out on comparing a maori tradition with the cha cha slide as racist (it is), by saying it probably wasn't a good look for middle aged white people to be chortling about it. Then all you all dogpiled in (again, not a good look). Maybe read the thread back please.
  • Options
    I've just read this.
    Kentaddick's trolling has hit heights not seen for quite some time on here.

I really can't understand how some people's lives are so empty, that they have to take hours of their day trying to provoke arguments with others. So sad and childish.
    10/10 great contribution to this thread.
  • Options

Here's the quote: 

Nah, I called some one out on comparing a maori tradition with the cha cha slide as racist (it is), by saying it probably wasn't a good look for middle aged white people to be chortling about it. Then all you all dogpiled in. Maybe read the thread back please.
    They were actually referring to the cha cha slide as a traditional american dance, so you've either deliberately trolling or proper thick.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    When did the All Blacks first Haka before a game?
    A version of the Haka was first performed before a New Zealand "Native" game on 3 October 1888, fifty years after Charles Dickens used the word "gammon" in Nicholas Nickleby. 

And the "All Blacks" performed it on their first tour of Great Britain in 1905 which started three months before Charlton Athletic's first-ever game. 
  • Options

Here's the quote: 

Nah, I called some one out on comparing a maori tradition with the cha cha slide as racist (it is), by saying it probably wasn't a good look for middle aged white people to be chortling about it. Then all you all dogpiled in. Maybe read the thread back please.
    You're off your head. 1. Its not offensive to mock a dance. 2. Even if it was, my comment would be offensive to Americans not Maori's.
  • Options

Here's the quote: 

Who was taking the piss out of a Maori tradition? People said it was shit and unnecessary at the start of a rugby match, that's hardly taking the piss, is it?

Of course you can be racist to a white person, I don't know if you've ever been somewhere where white people are the minority but it happens quite a lot, white people do not have a monopoly on being racist shit bags, unfortunately, as an example 洋鬼子 is a racial term aimed at white people in order to be offensive.
    Is that Cantonese for rosbif coz that's what I get called in France
  • Options
    - White man saying what is offensive and what isn't to another race.

- Claims not to be racist.

What a world. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dunno, I only speak Mandarin ;)
  • Options
    Sorry to assume you 2nd language mate
  • Options
    Sorry to assume you 2nd language mate
    I forgive you Robina.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

What a world. 
    Isn't that exactly what you are doing?

Unless you're a white Maori of course.
  • Options
    Names of people that are angry i assumed their gender:

Dave
    Stu
    So because my parents gave me a male name I can only identify as a male? Are you from the 1950s?
    I had no idea you were made to register on this forum as your christian name? 
    Religionist
  • Options
    They've rightly banned the old English Forward's Haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jgrGtiYHE

• Options

What a world. 

It's getting bizarre now.  Are you on the wind up @kentaddick?  Are you trying to bet people to bite?
  • Options
    I love this forum
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!