Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you could live in any other country. What one would it be?

1235»

Comments

• The Basque country.....namely San Sebastián.
    Do like SAN Sebastián (holiday resort for Spanish monarchy)
    great food
    2 bays and a fortress just like Scarborough 
  • Have to be Australia... It came up as a potential 3-5 year option at work, had to turn it down due to family commitments now got a gut wrenching desire to move there...
  • Cyprus

Been 4 or 5 times on Holiday and loved it, always said I want to move there one day
    If you lived in Cyprus, Paulie ..... at least it would be easier and quicker to fly to Swansea for the Charlton game on New Year's Eve, than to catch the train from London.

:smile:
  • France, the most beautiful women, best food and wine and everything you could want within easy reach.

I love France and I have to agree about the woman.  French woman are very underrated in my opinion.
    That's what my French girlfriend tells me! :smile:
    great food
    Did you know that seafront real estate in San Sebastián is the most expensive in Spain?
  • Spain - preferably in the North
    or
    Scotland - Highlands
    great food
    Was in San Sebastian last month, lovely town with some super taps bars. 
  • Sorry should read Tapas bars.
    I like France, Spain, and particularly Germany but if I lived in another country it would have to be one that spoke English.
    Possibly somewhere in America, California, or probably Sydney Australia.   
  • For the lifers that have been to New Zealand.

Any chance I could perhaps have a vague mini low down?

Your favourite place in New Zealand?

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Population? Good for work? Nice people?

Thanks, would be interesting and informative for others too 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually, re-reading the OP's original scenario, some 10 years ago, I was 'friends' with a real fugitive called Mark.
    Whilst watching a footy game in Mitchells Bar in Cape Town Waterfront, i got talking to a Brit (obviously caught the accent), who was very friendly, and seemed like a decent guy, and we met up for a beer or two mostly surrounding football after that.
    Then , some months later i noticed something on local news about someone called Mark Maine being arrested and held in custody awaiting extradition.

Sorta threw me aback a bit, but there are many people in Cape Town where you think, why the fuck are you in CT?

• Dave2l said:
    For the lifers that have been to New Zealand.

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Queenstown

Not because its the adventure capital but just the breathtaking nature of the area - Your surrounded by Mountains and Lakes regardless of the direction that you take

For a road trip the whole of the South Island is amazing to drive - Less populated than the North Island you can find yourself alone on and road and with no motorways its proper driving as you can often find yourself twisting and turning around hairpins

Good for work is something I cant answer but the people are just great - Was on the Cook Strait ferry going from Wellington to Picton and just had this bloke wander up to me who was on his way home to Christchurch and ended up having a great conversation, nor was he the only "local" to have that friendly attitude

My sole regret is the fact I've only gone outside the Football season as I hate the risk of missing a Charlton game. As a result I've only ever been in what is their winter, one day I'll go back and enjoy the warmer climate there
  • MrOneLung said:
     There are 33 countries with which Britain does not have an extradition agreement: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bhutan, Cameroon, China, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, Georgia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Madagascar, Mongolia, Namibia, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Yemen are all potential havens for British criminals.

I would have to choose Dominican Republic out of those. Easy enough to hide amongst the transient tourist population without arousing suspicions. 
    Worryingly well prepared.
  • Dave2l said:

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Good summary from KiwiValley.  I’ve been in NZ since 1962, came out under an immigration scheme designed to bolster population which was not much over 2 million at the time.

Our favourite place in NZ is Pohara in Golden Bay and not too far from Nelson.  Pohara is a little settlement about 14k out of Takaka, a town that has stood still since the 1960s.  Loads of craft galleries, potteries, artists, great cafes, everyone with a smile on their face.  We rented the same little cottage on the seafront at Pohara for many years - across from Farewell Spit named after the final land mass seen by Captain Cook as he left NZ.  Abel Tasman made landfall close by centuries before.

I’d have to give a shout out for Taupo where we have owned cottages since the kids were small nearly 45 years ago.  Great for trout fishing which I was a fan of - and handy to the ski fields on Mt Ruepehu, about an hours drive away.  We don’t come up in the winter anymore -too blimmin cold - and we’re about to sell anyway.

Weather.  You’d have to be hardy to live in places like Timaru in the South Island with it’s freezing winter temperatures.  North of Auckland is the most temperate climate.  Wellington, where I’ve lived since coming out is wonderful on a fine day, but known for its wind.

The  scenery and people,well covered by KiwiValley.  Many people who visit NZ want to move here or at least put a stake in the ground.  Film Director James Cameron has a spread in the Wairarapa.  Graham Norton is a regular visitor.  Shania Twain had a big property out of Wanaka.  There are many others.  Bill Clinton described NZ as “this enchanted land”
  • Great detailed responses. Thanks 
  • Rob said:
    Virgin Islands for me.
    Did that for a year, got "island fever". Lots of crime too.
  • Dave2l said:

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Good summary from KiwiValley.  I’ve been in NZ since 1962, came out under an immigration scheme designed to bolster population which was not much over 2 million at the time.

Our favourite place in NZ is Pohara in Golden Bay and not too far from Nelson.  Pohara is a little settlement about 14k out of Takaka, a town that has stood still since the 1960s.  Loads of craft galleries, potteries, artists, great cafes, everyone with a smile on their face.  We rented the same little cottage on the seafront at Pohara for many years - across from Farewell Spit named after the final land mass seen by Captain Cook as he left NZ.  Abel Tasman made landfall close by centuries before.

I’d have to give a shout out for Taupo where we have owned cottages since the kids were small nearly 45 years ago.  Great for trout fishing which I was a fan of - and handy to the ski fields on Mt Ruepehu, about an hours drive away.  We don’t come up in the winter anymore -too blimmin cold - and we’re about to sell anyway.

Weather.  You’d have to be hardy to live in places like Timaru in the South Island with it’s freezing winter temperatures.  North of Auckland is the most temperate climate.  Wellington, where I’ve lived since coming out is wonderful on a fine day, but known for its wind.

The  scenery and people,well covered by KiwiValley.  Many people who visit NZ want to move here or at least put a stake in the ground.  Film Director James Cameron has a spread in the Wairarapa.  Graham Norton is a regular visitor.  Shania Twain had a big property out of Wanaka.  There are many others.  Bill Clinton described NZ as “this enchanted land”

In terms of work and permanent residence potential.

Just out of interest, do you know whether or not NZ would be willing to have a Brit over for permanent residence...if he has a Btec level 3 in mechanical engineering?

It's only the equivalent of 1 A level, so maybe not.

I went on their site and found that they do want permanent residence with experience of specific fields, such as engineering.

Just a way out....incase Bowyer leaves and Roland shows no signs of selling...😉
  • Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Just out of interest, do you know whether or not NZ would be willing to have a Brit over for permanent residence...if he has a Btec level 3 in mechanical engineering?

I went on their site and found that they do want permanent residence with experience of specific fields, such as engineering.

https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/mechanical-engineer/

Hope this helps Dave21

Your work is not done till Roland leaves 😀
  • Flagler, Between Daytona and Jacksonville, on US1 Just perfect!
  • I’ve lived in a couple of places, and will probably end up back in the States. But a vote for Italy, because it simply has everything But I’d love to have a little bolt hole in that south western France / Spain San Sebastián area border. Beautiful there. 

Agree with others that an island sounds like a good idea, but in reality unless you are used to island life, it will suffocate you. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Hope this helps Dave21

Thanks that's really useful.

I should be able to fit in to the long term 30 month shortage category.

Would probably be best...at least id be able to get a feel for it and Roland might sell by that time (maybe)
    Cheers
  • Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

Why you like it?

Weather?

Scenery?

Hope this helps Dave21

Thanks that's really useful.

I should be able to fit in to the long term 30 month shortage category.

Would probably be best...at least id be able to get a feel for it and Roland might sell by that time (maybe)
    Cheers
    Dave, a little bit of advice - dont worry about Roland, concentrate on getting your arse out to NZ !