Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Amazon Prime scam call warning

2»

Comments

• Options
    The phone (not mobile) was ringing every morning at the same time. Always a different mobile number or 01522 number. I eventually answered it to hear a recorded message saying it was BT and my internet had been compromised etc. The the 'press 1' to speak to someone. I have to say I was quite worried but wondered if it was a scam. Luckily didn't press it. The next day I answered it again, this time someone from a 'call centre' at BT - same story. Mr T said you can get recordings of call centre noises as part of the scam. Anyway, they are still phoning. Mr T says to just ignore it but it's starting to worry me. As its from a different number each time how can I stop it?
    I don't bother reporting them but use the block caller facility on BT. I used to sometimes press the button to speak to someone and then engage in some verbal abuse with the person at the other end of the line but now just save my energy. I occasionally get a week of calls and then nothing for a few weeks.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Wilma said:
    The phone (not mobile) was ringing every morning at the same time. Always a different mobile number or 01522 number. I eventually answered it to hear a recorded message saying it was BT and my internet had been compromised etc. The the 'press 1' to speak to someone. I have to say I was quite worried but wondered if it was a scam. Luckily didn't press it. The next day I answered it again, this time someone from a 'call centre' at BT - same story. Mr T said you can get recordings of call centre noises as part of the scam. Anyway, they are still phoning. Mr T says to just ignore it but it's starting to worry me. As its from a different number each time how can I stop it?
    Register your number with the TPS - mobile and landline

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

If you continue to receive calls, you can then log the number on the website. 

I rarely get any calls through, but any that do I log the number on the TPS site. 

https://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/consumer
    I've been registered with TPS for longer than I can remember.
    I regularly get bombarded with scam calls re internet etc.
    I'm not aware that registering a scam number will make any difference, because they are not legitimate firms breaking the rules and so effectively can't be dealt with.
    I've just read your link and can't see anything to say I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Got the Amazon Prime scam phone call this morning. 
  • Options
    The block caller is the route to follow - seems far more effective than TPS.

Once set up, you simply dial 1572 (free) and follow simple instructions to block each new call.  Doesn't stop them completely, but does stop repeats from the same number, so considerably reduces the volume.
  • Options
    I think the ICO link is the better option. I have used it before and it has stopped the calls. I can't remember the last time I even received a spam/nuisance call and I still have a landline! 

If you register with the TPS is means that companies should not be contacting you without your consent. This does stop the legitimate companies from cold-calling you. 
  • Options
    I just had an Indian lady from Amazon ring my landline informing me someone called x was looking to purchase something from my account. Said had I seen the email they had sent about it. Told them I had not received any email. When I refused to check my spam filter she just hung up.

Do worry for my 85 year old Mum with these scumbags operating. Always telling her not to give details out and insist they put anything in writing.