Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sub 2-hour Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some more info on this which made his run a lot easier than a normal race.

Vienna was preferred to London because of benign conditions.
    Teams of seven pacemakers – in a phalanx formation, 2-1-2-2 - not only kept Kipchoge on the right side of the clock but protected him from what little breeze existed.
    Green lasers were projected on to the road so he knew where he needed to be in relation to beating the 2 hour mark.
    Kipchoge’s route was entirely flat and 90% straight.
    He caught an Uber from mile 8 to mile 15.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    The difference 65 years makes.

A cinder track at Iffley Road Oxford, dear old Norris Mc Whirter with his hand held stop watch compared to 41 pacemakers, refuelling stations and indicative lasers.

Yet both equally monumental achievements.
    Although Bannister did use two pacemakers over his one mile.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    The difference 65 years makes.

A cinder track at Iffley Road Oxford, dear old Norris Mc Whirter with his hand held stop watch compared to 41 pacemakers, refuelling stations and indicative lasers.

Yet both equally monumental achievements.
    Don't forget his hobnail boots.
  • Options

Teams of seven pacemakers – in a phalanx formation, 2-1-2-2 - not only kept Kipchoge on the right side of the clock but protected him from what little breeze existed.
    Green lasers were projected on to the road so he knew where he needed to be in relation to beating the 2 hour mark.
    Lazy fucker
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Erm, call me cynical, anyone else raise an eyebrow that it was announced 48hrs ago that the Nike sponsored athlete would attempt this today... nothing like a bit of positive advertising for them after the Salazar saga!
    no, this had been planned for months
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    rina said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Erm, call me cynical, anyone else raise an eyebrow that it was announced 48hrs ago that the Nike sponsored athlete would attempt this today... nothing like a bit of positive advertising for them after the Salazar saga!
    no, this had been planned for months
    oh ok, I take that back then.  I realised there was some planning for it but the official announcement that it was happening on the Saturday was made on the 9th October.
  • Options
    I've been watching 'The Capture' .. were those clocks tamperproof? .. to run 26 miles at about a consistent 13 mph and to do the race in under 2 hours is remarkable
  • Options

It can't have been completely straight though. It was 4.4 laps of a 5.97-mile course.