Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The England let us down again page.

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019

England are overrated anyway, people forget although we were semi finalist at the world cup, we lost 3 games lol. Every time we faced better opposition, we lost.

Our defence is terrible, making our team incredibly unbalanced. We can score, but my god can we leak goals too.

But who are overrating this England team?

As mentioned... People went into the 2018 Tournament with zero expectation about getting out of the Group

Everyone would have laughed had someone said we'd have made the Semi-Finals

Maybe your getting overrated mixed up with hope?

Nothing wrong with hoping that Charlton get promoted this season or England win every Major Tournament that we enter, I personally am not expecting either to happen though - Or maybe your getting confused about the "Its Coming Home" song when its clearly become a running joke throughout rather than arrogance

Zero expectation of getting out of a group consisting of Tunisia and Panama?

2nd favourites for the Euros... clearly somebody is overrating us?

Sorry where are we second favourites for the Euros? - Read the comments on the news articles (If you can still find them) when the 2018 Draw was made, everyone wrote us off, yes even against Tunisia and Panama, from what I read about the latter a lot of people expected them to be a repeat of Costa Rica
  • Options
    Sobering to consider that the majority of England fans probably think like the OP
  • Options
    edited October 2019

England are overrated anyway, people forget although we were semi finalist at the world cup, we lost 3 games lol. Every time we faced better opposition, we lost.

Our defence is terrible, making our team incredibly unbalanced. We can score, but my god can we leak goals too.

But who are overrating this England team?

As mentioned... People went into the 2018 Tournament with zero expectation about getting out of the Group

Everyone would have laughed had someone said we'd have made the Semi-Finals

Maybe your getting overrated mixed up with hope?

Nothing wrong with hoping that Charlton get promoted this season or England win every Major Tournament that we enter, I personally am not expecting either to happen though - Or maybe your getting confused about the "Its Coming Home" song when its clearly become a running joke throughout rather than arrogance

Zero expectation of getting out of a group consisting of Tunisia and Panama?

2nd favourites for the Euros... clearly somebody is overrating us?

Sorry where are we second favourites for the Euros? - Read the comments on the news articles (If you can still find them) when the 2018 Draw was made, everyone wrote us off, yes even against Tunisia and Panama, from what I read about the latter a lot of people expected them to be a repeat of Costa Rica

2nd favourites with Betfair and SkyBet, who are the only two bookmakers I have accounts with.

Three articles I found since your reply, all of them mentioning favourable or lucky draws. Maybe Sky, BBC and Guardian were the only ones not writing us off, then you might be right:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/dec/01/world-cup-2018-draw-england-lucky-gareth-southgate-caution

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42197840

https://news.sky.com/story/england-draw-belgium-tunisia-and-panama-in-2018-world-cup-group-11151813

• Options
    Yup and what do the fan comments say in each? - Those are just articles by journalists who'll come out with any old bullshit depending on what way the wind is blowing
  • Options
    Yup and what do the fan comments say in each? - Those are just articles by journalists who'll come out with any old bullshit depending on what way the wind is blowing
    thoughts on Betfair and Skybet having us as 2nd favourites? I notice you didn't mention that....
  • Options
    thoughts on Betfair and Skybet having us as 2nd favourites? I notice you didn't mention that....
    I am surprised as dont know why they see us as second favourites - Who are above us currently? - France?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I am surprised as dont know why they see us as second favourites - Who are above us currently? - France?

Yep, I'm going with Netherlands 8/1

England as short as 9/2...

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Yet to go through the usual list

Italy / Holland: Neither made the World Cup whilst the latter didnt make the Euros either so their young teams dont have much Tournament experience both could easily surprise on that basis

Portugal: Dont rate them, hell they all but drew their way to Euro 2016 and is something any team could do in the summer

Spain: I'd say it would be a tight game if we played them

Germany: Christ you should have seen them against Northern Ireland... they're in proper transition

Belgium: they're no different to England's Golden Generation

England: We have a good front three but need to improve elsewhere (especially in Defence!!)
  • Options

Holland's issue is they've no World Class Strikers

Their inability to finish us off in the summer and Northern Ireland until right at the end last week is what'll cause them problems - Although as mentioned about Portugal, they could easily draw their way to the title
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Surely the odds will always be shorter as more people will bet on England in England. They will enter the tournament as one of a group of teams who could win it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Their inability to finish us off in the summer and Northern Ireland until right at the end last week is what'll cause them problems - Although as mentioned about Portugal, they could easily draw their way to the title
    I hear your point but it definitely hasn't stopped them scoring goals recently. If you can get goals from all over the pitch and not rely on the strikers, makes you a stronger side in my opinion.
  • Options
    For me it's more about the performances than the results

In 2018 we looked organised, good going forward and effective at set pieces.  Compared to previous tournaments such as 2010 and the shambles in south Africa against Algeria and then mullered against Germany, that was embarrassing so you can argue the draw was kind and the opposition weak but the players did the country proud last year, that was the main thing and it was a refreshingly nice feeling to be an England fan rather than feeling let down at yet another meek tournament exit.

Also if you're gonna argue about weak opposition, look at Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, only just scraped past them, couldn't beat Algeria or USA 4 years later, or in 2014 didn't win a single game
  • Options

They have Malen from PSV coming through.

Didn't make it at Arsenal (and could well be another Gnabry) but is still only 20 and in the past 2 season he's made 15 starts and scored 20 goals. Had a lot of sub appearances last season but still averaging a goal every 85 minutes or something silly.
  • Options
    The biggest issue I have with England is it stops me watching Lee Bowyer and the boys playing their hearts out. Charlton first all day long
  • Options
    It’s almost As if some are waiting for England to lose 
  • Options
    This break was good for us in terms of resting players who have injuries.
  • Options
    For me it's more about the performances than the results

In 2018 we looked organised, good going forward and effective at set pieces.  Compared to previous tournaments such as 2010 and the shambles in south Africa against Algeria and then mullered against Germany, that was embarrassing so you can argue the draw was kind and the opposition weak but the players did the country proud last year, that was the main thing and it was a refreshingly nice feeling to be an England fan rather than feeling let down at yet another meek tournament exit.

Also if you're gonna argue about weak opposition, look at Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, only just scraped past them, couldn't beat Algeria or USA 4 years later, or in 2014 didn't win a single game
    Agree with this, the performances have massively improved and other teams now rightly respect us. When i think back to that South Africa World Cup my god we were shocking and shit basically.  In fact since Euro 96, when i think we looked dangerous and could of won the tournament, we have been shit at most tournaments up until last year.
    To see my 7yr old boy jumping about when England were winning games last summer was something i wont forget. Reminded me of Italia 90 when i was a young teenager jumping about against Belgium and Cameroon, and ultimately crying against Gernany.
    After the 2018 WC, To see and hear kids at football training at the weekends pretending to be Kane, Ali, Sterling etc instead of Messi was a joy. 
    Yes, England players have let us down in the past and probably will again in the future. I dont think it can be thrown at them at the moment though, we lost a game that we deserved to lose as we played below average. I still think we are on the right track to winning a tournament soon.
  • Options
    England fan has just died over there. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    England have done very well under Southgate and not lost a qulaifier for 10 years. Good to have a reality check now rather than at a tournament, before our optimism gets out of control again.

Could do without our Twat Army though:
    https://www.football365.com/news/the-england-twatarmy-are-yesterdays-men

The pretentious prick that wrote that article can’t have been away with England recently. Perhaps if he went to the nations league in Portugal he would of seen....absolutely no trouble, instead of writing shite like this...

As Will Self pointedly said, quite obviously, not everyone who voted for Brexit is racist, but almost everyone who is racist did. In the same way, obviously, not all England fans are intolerant and right wing, but those who are intolerant and right wing will likely say they’re an England fan. Taking over market squares and bars and putting up Cross of St. George flags isn’t the best way to make anyone believe you’re not going to be a problem.

Ah yes, because the Dutch, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Germans etc don’t all meet up and drink whilst displaying their nations flag. 
    As Will Self is allowed to stereotype perhaps I will not be shot down in flames for saying that not all REMAINERS hate what England and Britain stand for but those that do will likely try to subvert the democratic will of the people.
  • Options
    Read the appropriate thread if you need an explanation as to why it was not the democratic will of the people Len...