Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Bowen

CAFC player 97-99 been appointed manager of Reading, local news says supporters underwelmed. 

Comments

• Options
    He's worked with Mark Hughes a long time, so ought to know what he's doing. Always liked him as a player, and gave us respect when he commentated on us against Cardiff, so I hope he does well.
  • Options
    Thought it would be Hughes and that it wouldn't end well. Still don't think it will but good luck to him. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sidekick of Hughes at Prem, Champ and international level. Under-rated as a player for us.  Think he will prove Reading fans wrong.
  • Options
    He was superb for us. Spoke to him in Woolwich during the 98 celebrations. Told him his was the best penalty at Wembley the previous day. Good luck Mark.
  • Options
    Parky would have been ideal for Reading. Club legend for them.

I like Mark Bowen but we need 3 worse teams than us in this division and I'll happily accept Reading as one.
  • Options
    Hope he does well there - glad he got the job rather than somebody like Hughes or Pulis. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Think they are underwhelmed because of how the whole thing has been handled as well.

Sack a manager, look for a new manager, then hire yourself as the clubs manager
  • Options
    I have always seen him coming back to Charlton as our manager as some point. I think hell do really well.
  • Options
    Met him on a couple of occasions and he’s a lovely guy. He always speaks well about us and I wish him well.
  • Options
    I always fancied him as a possible manager for us when Curbishley went. 

Always wondered why he never left Hughes earlier. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFC player 97-99 been appointed manager of Reading, local news says supporters underwelmed. 
    Who do they think they are? Really? A flash in the pan for three seasons after a mediocre and depressing previous 120 years and now the likes of Mark Bowen isn't good enough for them. If Bowen can arrest their current relegation form they should erect a statue to him.
  • Options
    Just watched the footage from last Saturday .

I have got to say that he really impressed me with his analysis of the current team . Always hoped he would return to us in some capacity .
  • Options
    Aren’t Reading a bit of a basket case currently? Sure someone said that recently. 
  • Options
    ColinTat said:
    34 when he signed for us and one of the most efficent and elegant players on the ball in that team.  Just flabbergasted that Gunter and Matthews as senior pros have no impetus/influence on the game unless it's going our way.  Seemed Bowen could prompt, probe and defend all day.  Never remember him being outplayed.  Maybe Forrest away?  Didn't go, can only vaguely remember Bradley Allen's goal.
    I used to say to my kids that he was a fantastic full back. 

He'd take the ball off his attacker like candy from a kid and then distribute it accurately.  He did this time and time and time again.  An absolute joy to watch.
  • Options
    He came from the Japanese J league to Charlton and became a part of our history. 
    Great player 
  • Options
    Came across really well on Ctv last week. I'd like to see more of the old guard involved in the current set up. I know Minto is about and Curbs' Stand but Bowen et al had premier experience..And yes he was really solid week in week out..
  • Options
    He's a really nice guy, and was a very good player.
  • Options
    Quality player and by all accounts a very good coach.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd probably have him just below Scott Minto as the best lb I've seen play for us.  Chris Powell, everyone'll agree, was top class for us and his career had more impact on us  but.....  I didn't think Barness needed replacing, he'd been one of our best players in our shot shy poor 96/97 season.  Bowen came in and just looked one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen at the Valley for us.  To think we had him, Konchesky and Barness play lb for us that season.  What a player he was.
  • Options
    He's a friend of one of MsAA's cousin.  He turned up at a party there the evening of the 4-3 win at Villa.  I can confirm he's a thoroughly nice chap.  He was just as stoked by the result as I and the other couple of Charlton supporters there were.
  • Options
    Came across really well on Ctv last week. I'd like to see more of the old guard involved in the current set up. I know Minto is about and Curbs' Stand but Bowen et al had premier experience..And yes he was really solid week in week out..
    Bowen had a long coaching career as Mark Hughes' assistant, plus a brief spell as technical assistant and manager at Reading, where he appointed himself to the manager's role!
  • Options
    Seemed like him and Curbs are still good friends from the way they were chatting last week
  • Options
    He was so happy when I told him at the Woolwich Town Hall victory parade that he had taken the best penalty the previous day.

A quality player for us and I'd be happy for him to have a role at the club, including manager tbh 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    He was so happy when I told him at the Woolwich Town Hall victory parade that he had taken the best penalty the previous day.

A quality player for us and I'd be happy for him to have a role at the club, including manager tbh 
    In a very unsubtle way that was what I was implying. I want Nigel to succeed, but Mark would have been my choice last year.

I was really impressed with the grasp of detail that he had last week and he genuinely seemed to want us to do well.

Probably one of our top five left backs I have seen along with Powell, Reid, Konchesky and Wiggins.