Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Like father, like son.

I have posted here in the past about my dad (Stan Armitage) who signed for Charlton in 1938 and played in the reserves up to the end of the 1945/6 season. His dad (James) died when I was 16 and I didn't know much about him as a footballer other than that he was said to have played for Arsenal at some time. There was nothing to substantiate this and all I knew was that he had been a nippy winger. The only memorabilia I had was a Kent Senior Cup runners-up medal for 1912/13 which my dad gave me and he said that it had been my granddad's. There was no name on the medal. I checked on the net to see who played in that final; it was between Gravesend United and Northfleet United, and Northfleet won 2-1. So assuming my granddad had played for Gravesend, I recently bought an excellent book titled "Shrimper's Tales", a history of Gravesend United FC from its founding in 1893 up to the merger with bitter rivals Northfleet United in 1946 to form Gravesend and Northfleet FC. I discovered that my granddad played for them from 1909 to 1913 and at some time in this period it said "he left to try his luck with Arsenal Reserves". Arsenal would still have been playing at the Manor Ground, Plumstead, then and my family being from Woolwich, would have been more convenient. Arsenal were playing in Division ! then but were relegated at the end of the 1912/13 season and moved to Highbury. So one family myth had been proven to be correct. I found that my granddad played inside right and was the top goal scorer in each of the seasons he played (the book listed all the fixtures for each season, the results and goal scorers). At this time Gravesend were a professional team playing in the Kent League, which the book said was of a high standard with some of the First Division teams fielding their reserves in it. There was a large newspaper report of the 1912/13 Kent Senior Cup Final; it was played at Maidstone United's ground before a crowd of 11,000. My granddad was mentioned as being a constant threat to the Northfleet defence and on 71 minutes, with the score 2-0 to Northfleet, my granddad scored with "a powerful shot from outside the area". So now I knew that the medal was definitely his. There is a connection now between my dad and granddad - (1) my dad ended his professional career at G&N playing in the 1947/48 season (2) my dad played inside left for Charlton Reserves, a similar position to insight right (3) although not top goal scorer, my dad was second top scorer behind Maurice Tadman in the 1945/46 season. There was a team photo of Gravesend which I attach where the players are positioned in programme formation; my granddad is second left in the front row; I was so chuffed to find this. Also attached is a photo of his medal; the colour hasn't come out true as it is 9 carat gold but appears silver. The only question unanswered is - what are the Peaky Blinders doing in the team photo?            

Comments

• Options
    Nice story.
  • Options
    Great stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    There's an exhibition on football in Maidstone and Kent currently at Maidstone museum.

Might be more there and they might like to see your medal and photos.
  • Options
    Excellent read, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    That’s a great story - must have been great discovering your history like that! Thank you for sharing 
  • Options
    Nice read.
  • Options
    Good stuff.

(The medal shows as gold in on my screen.)
  • Options
    Thankyou for posting that. Really interesting. 
  • Options
    As others have said thank you for posting this.

Threads like this help to make Charlton life the wonderful place it can be.
  • Options
    @WoodhillWinger

Some stats for you.  If you email the museum on chathmuseum@gmail.com and can send you the full detail

1945/46

Combination (incomplete)

Maurice Tadman 20; Stan Armitage 19; Eddie Marsh 16; Cyril Hammond 12; Jimmy Walls 12; Bill Whittaker 12; Malcolm Allison 11; Sid Cann 11; Henry Mordey 9; Joe Jobling 8; Bob Mellish 8; Harold Phipps 8; Harold Shrimpton 8; Peter Etherton 7; Stanley G. Gibbs 7; George Tadman 7; Ted Croker 6; Tommy Dawson 6; Jackie Dryden 5; Eric Lancelotte 5; Kenneth C. Thomas 5; George W. Tyson 5; Anthony G. Chubb 4; Donald R. Freeman 4; Bill Hammond 4; Harold Hobbis 4; Frank Rist 4; R. Townrow 4; G. Male 3; Davies 2; Kenneth J. Fearey 2; Fred Ford 2; Charlie Hall 2; Frank Lock 2; Jim Sanders 2; Abbott 1; John J. Agg 1; C. Atkins 1; George B. Bacon 1; Barker 1; W. Battiste 1; Frederick S. Biggerstaff 1; Bisset 1; G. Blamire 1; Jock Campbell 1; Chisholm 1; Crisp 1; J. Cutler 1; A. Davies 1; Doughty 1; William Dudley 1; Haydon 1; Holmes 1; Gordon Hurst 1; E. Lawton 1; G. McCreddy 1; MacIntyre 1; McKenzie 1; (Newman?) 1; L Pointer 1; Reed 1; J. Reid 1; G. (Roust?) 1; Skinner 1; L. Strowger 1; Templeman 1; A. Tennant 1.

Goal scorers (incomplete)

Maurice Tadman 27; Stan Armitage 16; George Tadman 10; Eric Lancelotte 6; Townrow 4; A. Chubb 3; Jackie Dryden 3; Bob Mellish 3; Peter Etherton 3; Whittaker 3; Fearey 2; Harold Hobbis 2; Hurst 2; Tyson 2; Allison 1; Barker 1; Hammond 1; A. Tennant 1; Thomas 1

Combination Cup

Appearances (incomplete)

Stan Armitage 2; Cann 2; Tommy Dawson 2; Cyril Hammond 2; Eric Lancelotte 2; Henry Mordey 2; Walls 2; Jackie Dryden 1; W. Dudley 1; Don Freeman 1; Joe Jobling 1; Eddie Marsh 1; Bob Mellish 1; George Tadman 1; Maurice Tadman 1

Goal scorers (Combination Cup) (complete)

Tommy Dawson 3; Stan Armitage 1; George Tadman 1; Maurice Tadman 1. 

Friendlies, etc. (all levels) (2 matches) only scorers for Leytonstone match 2.3.46.

Appearances (friendlies, etc.)

Malcolm Allison 1; Stan Armitage 2; Ted Croker 1; Jackie Dryden  1; N. Dymock 1; Cyril Hammond 1; Eric Lancelotte 1; Eddie Marsh 1; Bob Mellish 1; Henry Mordey 1; Harold Shrimpton 1; Maurice Tadman 2.

Goal scorers (friendlies, etc.) (9 goals)

Maurice Tadman 4; Stan Armitage 2; Jackie Dryden 2; N. Dymock 1.

Played with Malcolm Allison!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, thank you so much for that; I have e-mailed as you suggested and hope for some positive news. All the best.

• Options
    just emailed over some more stats