Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mac Steam Store

Right, I have a Mac that my partner purchased for work purposes in 2014.

I think it has either 4 or 8 GB of RAM with 1TB storage. It has an i5 processor. 

Is that enough to play some of the Mac Steam Store offerings or will I need to grab some more RAM?

If so what games do you think I can get away with/recommend? I'd also quite like to play FM, so that'd be a plus. 

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    Your video card is likely to be the bottleneck there that you can't address for any popular titles. 
  • Options
    Damn... Have seen you can get a lightning eGPU might see if I can pick one up 2nd hand online...

Is there a test you can run on the device that'll tell what games you can run?
  • Options
    Do a search on the Steam Forums or better still ask the question on there, I had a few PC issues which the kind members of Steam advised me on.
  • Options
    Good suggestion, will do so when home later, work comp won't let me on there.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    4gb of RAM won't be enough for most new games if you do get a gpu for it. Need at least 8 but 16 would be better.
    If you can get an SSD for it then do as it'll speed it up massively. Think you should be able to play FM on it as it's not that graphically intensive 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Damn... Have seen you can get a lightning eGPU might see if I can pick one up 2nd hand online...

Is there a test you can run on the device that'll tell what games you can run?
    Yeah, I used to use one on my Windows PC that would tell me. It was just a website, so if you Google something along the lines of game benchmark mac you might be able to find something 
  • Options
    Cheers chaps
  • Options
    What games do you want to play? 

Might work with football manager and paradox strategy games but anything graphic heavy released after 2014 won’t work too well.
  • Options
    What games do you want to play? 

Might work with football manager and paradox strategy games but anything graphic heavy released after 2014 won’t work too well.
     Not entirely sure yet. FM is the key one.
  • Options
    Total War: Medievil will work and that's the best game ever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Okay... I have had a proper look and we have:
    iMac (27-inch)
    Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    RAM 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

So the question again... Does this change anything?

It certainly seems better than I initially thought, I can expand the RAM a bit more if needed but no idea what you can do regarding the graphics card.