Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hybrid cars?

2»

Comments

• Options
    But before we go all petrolhead on @kimbo, I remember another important consideration for her, which i dont think we mentioned. That batteries are huge, and they gotta go somewhere. In the case of my car, it really wouldn't be viable if we had two kids as well on holiday. The battery is in the back and the storage area is therefore really shallow. So the dog goes there, and we put virtually all our stuff for holiday on the back seat.
    Don't get that problem in a Jag. And my last trip to Belgium, I averaged just under 50mpg.

So your 'fashionable' Citroen is just destroying the planet at a slightly slower pace than my (almost) 10 year old Jag.
  • Options
    I'm looking to change my car soon so reading this thread intently.

My current car is a Jaguar XE. I've had it 3 years & it's done 40k mileage. Car before was an XF. I usually buy "nearly new" (less than a year old) on PCP and change before the balloon payment is due...(I know, I know.....)

Last 2 cars have been diesels....before that petrol. So my conundrum is do I either.....

1) Kill the planet   
    2) kill the population
    3) sit at  a service station for 45 mins whilst it recharges.

I bought a car on PCP once, never again.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'm gonna wait for the car/helicopter/speedboat/submersible hybrid 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    But before we go all petrolhead on @kimbo, I remember another important consideration for her, which i dont think we mentioned. That batteries are huge, and they gotta go somewhere. In the case of my car, it really wouldn't be viable if we had two kids as well on holiday. The battery is in the back and the storage area is therefore really shallow. So the dog goes there, and we put virtually all our stuff for holiday on the back seat.
    Don't get that problem in a Jag. And my last trip to Belgium, I averaged just under 50mpg.

So your 'fashionable' Citroen is just destroying the planet at a slightly slower pace than my (almost) 10 year old Jag.
    So this "last" trip to Belgium wasn't the one you wrote about on here where you  were barreling down a Belgian motorway at 130 mph  (presumably feigning innocence that the "130" speed sign was actually kph)?

Anyway, if I may just sound an ever so slightly sceptical note,  but 50 mpg is what my wife's 1.2l. new Yaris does. (as does my car). I suppose I could believe it of your 10 year old Jag for the bit after Brussels where you were on cruise control on the motorway at the legal limit. Otherwise, I'm struggling to take this claim seriously, having just looked up details for "2010 Jaguar" on Autotrader....
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    Thinking of changing my car. Have a 9 year old polo which has done 35,000 miles. 
    As I am going to work at Friends of the Earth next month and as I care about the planet thinking of a hybrid. Thoughts, advice please?
    If your car suits your needs, why change it? I have a 17 year old Focus which suits my needs perfectly for the low mileage I do (and as you've only done 35k in 9 years you're a low mileage driver too). The manufacture of new cars uses masses of energy

If you're going to work by public transport or by walking/cycling, surely that's more important for "brownie points" at work?
    Not for brownie points, need a bigger car to accomodate wheel chair which i cannot get into the polo. 

Thanks all for your help - it is a minefield

• Options
    I've got one. It's a Citroen DS5, different category of course. I'm very happy with it, had it 6 years now and its been faultless (and I was very wary of buying a Citroen in that respect). 

Here is the thing about it. The marketing gumph claimed that I would be able to select 'electric" mode and it would go up to 40kms on electric alone. This was such a massive lie that Citroen really should have ended up in court. (real figure is 2kms, and less if it meets a hill!) However, the real idea is that the car works out when the electric can support the diesel engine optimally, so I just leave the car to get on with it. Then it produces an overall consumption equal to my wife's petrol Yaris, but I am slinking around in a beautiful exec saloon that loves a motorway journey. If in London it would be congestion charge exempt.

I'd get another one but it looks like the idiots at Citroen didnt market it properly, so there will not be another one. I'm looking at the forthcoming plug-in Volvo V40. Why not full electric? Because of holidays, is the answer, we take the dog with us on holidays to coast and mountain 6-9hours away. if I lived in UK I might not have that issue. 

I am worried about the batteries, both how long they last, and what the hell happens to them when they are gone. But I think plug-in hybrid is currently the best overall choice for reliability and the environment.
    I've got one too in pearl white, although diesel model. Beautiful car, styling way ahead of its time, I get many compliments, so does the car!
    It's really unusual to meet another owner. When I asked the dealer how many had been sold he said " I think five". - "At your dealership?" "No, in the whole country".

i don't know about you but I used to love the original DS as a kid. I never really saw the claimed resemblance, until Monday night when I walked back to it, parked on an empty street in the half-light, and suddenly looking at it from the rear, I got it. 

You can keep yer beemers and Jags...
    Agree Prague, the old DS is a real classic now, with its revolutionary suspension. Ironically the only thing that lets the DS5 down slightly is the harsh suspension. I changed my rear struts and the drive comfort now is so much better.
    I've only seen 3 or 4 others on Aussie roads and it's kind of nice driving something fairly unique. I quite often get asked "lovely car, what is it?"
    I think the DS5 could also become a sought after classic in the future.

• Options
    I've got one. It's a Citroen DS5, different category of course. I'm very happy with it, had it 6 years now and its been faultless (and I was very wary of buying a Citroen in that respect). 

Here is the thing about it. The marketing gumph claimed that I would be able to select 'electric" mode and it would go up to 40kms on electric alone. This was such a massive lie that Citroen really should have ended up in court. (real figure is 2kms, and less if it meets a hill!) However, the real idea is that the car works out when the electric can support the diesel engine optimally, so I just leave the car to get on with it. Then it produces an overall consumption equal to my wife's petrol Yaris, but I am slinking around in a beautiful exec saloon that loves a motorway journey. If in London it would be congestion charge exempt.

I'd get another one but it looks like the idiots at Citroen didnt market it properly, so there will not be another one. I'm looking at the forthcoming plug-in Volvo V40. Why not full electric? Because of holidays, is the answer, we take the dog with us on holidays to coast and mountain 6-9hours away. if I lived in UK I might not have that issue. 

I am worried about the batteries, both how long they last, and what the hell happens to them when they are gone. But I think plug-in hybrid is currently the best overall choice for reliability and the environment.
    I've got one too in pearl white, although diesel model. Beautiful car, styling way ahead of its time, I get many compliments, so does the car!
    It's really unusual to meet another owner. When I asked the dealer how many had been sold he said " I think five". - "At your dealership?" "No, in the whole country".

i don't know about you but I used to love the original DS as a kid. I never really saw the claimed resemblance, until Monday night when I walked back to it, parked on an empty street in the half-light, and suddenly looking at it from the rear, I got it. 

Was a Citroen nut in the day. Started with a GS estate then a DS, a metallic green beauty followed by a DS estate that could take a full size coffin. Kids used to get seasick though and moved to the usual suspects.
  • Options

Was a Citroen nut in the day. Started with a GS estate then a DS, a metallic green beauty followed by a DS estate that could take a full size coffin. Kids used to get seasick though and moved to the usual suspects.

Have seen a metallic green estate driving around.
  • Options
    I'm just about to order my new company car and, it surpises me as I never thought I would, I'm going full electric.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Changed a hydraulic pump on a Safari, What a mare!
  • Options
  • Options
    Especially having to do it twice.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I'm just about to order my new company car and, it surpises me as I never thought I would, I'm going full electric.
    What one you going for Bob?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kimbo said:
    Thinking of changing my car. Have a 9 year old polo which has done 35,000 miles. 
    As I am going to work at Friends of the Earth next month and as I care about the planet thinking of a hybrid. Thoughts, advice please?
    Something to be mindful of

• Options
    I bet it was, keeping an eye out for lions all the time
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Sinclair C5
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    The very recently launched Tesla Model S killer! I’ll give you a clue - made in Germany!

Not only stunning to look at, the build quality will blow away anything Musk can cobble together.

Another factor of course is the new benefit in kind rules coming in next April - I won’t get it until June/July anyway because the order book is pretty full. Zero benefit in kind - it will only cost me maybe £20 a week in electricity!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    Sinclair C5
    Good guess - it was on my radar.
  • Options
    Nice Bob, enjoy - although how are you going to drive to the Valley and back?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WRob7Lee said:
    Yep, thats what I am wondering. 

There was a very sharp poster @cafcfan, whom I miss. On some thread I was talking about electric cars, and that there was only one fast charging station on the main Czech motorway, and a full charge would still take 30 mins. 

Yes he said, assuming the charger isnt occupied already by a geezer who is enjoying a leisurely lunch...
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I tend to get the train now, but if I drive then I’ll use the wife’s car! That said I probably do half a dozen journeys a year where I would need to charge en route. The fact that it’s going to cost me nothing means I could run another car as well - I’m strangely attracted to the new Defender, so the Porsche for free fun and the Landie for the sensible stuff.

It has a range of 200+ so a couple of home charges a week will do the commute (50 mile round trip) and weekend stuff.

• Options
    Addickted said:

So this "last" trip to Belgium wasn't the one you wrote about on here where you  were barreling down a Belgian motorway at 130 mph  (presumably feigning innocence that the "130" speed sign was actually kph)?

Anyway, if I may just sound an ever so slightly sceptical note,  but 50 mpg is what my wife's 1.2l. new Yaris does. (as does my car). I suppose I could believe it of your 10 year old Jag for the bit after Brussels where you were on cruise control on the motorway at the legal limit. Otherwise, I'm struggling to take this claim seriously, having just looked up details for "2010 Jaguar" on Autotrader....
    I bet it was comfier than the Yaris though :-)

It was certainly a comfier journey for me to Belgium than on the fold down chair of a black cab!!! 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    We‘ve just traded in our 3,5 year old Mercedes CLA220d Shooting Break for a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.
    The roads here on the Oléron must be some of the worst I‘ve driven on outside of Africa! It didn‘t help that the car had 18–inch wheels and lowered and stiffened suspension.
    For a car with 177 bhp it was quite economical getting an average of 5,6l/100km (50.5mpg).
    We picked the RAV because I like the looks and because Toyota has a lot of experience building hybrid engines (20 years) also there is an incredible amount of space inside and the equipment levels are very impressive.
    We‘ve only had the car since Monday and it is already averaging 5,2l/100km (54.3mpg).
    Once the car‘s run in I expect that we will be able to achieve Toyota‘s claimed 4,4l/100km (64.2mpg).
  • Options
    We‘ve just traded in our 3,5 year old Mercedes CLA220d Shooting Break for a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid.
    The roads here on the Oléron must be some of the worst I‘ve driven on outside of Africa! It didn‘t help that the car had 18–inch wheels and lowered and stiffened suspension.
    For a car with 177 bhp it was quite economical getting an average of 5,6l/100km (50.5mpg).
    We picked the RAV because I like the looks and because Toyota has a lot of experience building hybrid engines (20 years) also there is an incredible amount of space inside and the equipment levels are very impressive.
    We‘ve only had the car since Monday and it is already averaging 5,2l/100km (54.3mpg).
    Once the car‘s run in I expect that we will be able to achieve Toyota‘s claimed 4,4l/100km (64.2mpg).
    That's a pretty impressive consumption figure for such a big car.. Best I get for a full tank on mixed journeys is 5.6. Is it a plug in? I actually owned 3 RAVs over a 17 year period, but they were very slow to bring a hybrid to market. By the time this one came along I didn't need an SUV any more. But I always had huge respect for Toyota build quality. Velly tough as old boot. Velly reriable...
  • Options
    That's a pretty impressive consumption figure for such a big car.. Best I get for a full tank on mixed journeys is 5.6. Is it a plug in? I actually owned 3 RAVs over a 17 year period, but they were very slow to bring a hybrid to market. By the time this one came along I didn't need an SUV any more. But I always had huge respect for Toyota build quality. Velly tough as old boot. Velly reriable...
    The plug-in is coming out next year, but as we live in a flat with no possibility of charging it and there are, currently, no charging points on the island we went with the FWD self-charging model. The AWD is supposed to get 4.3l/100km!
    No AWD as it has only snowed here once in the last 17 years according to our neighbour.
    My 1st wife had a 1st gen 3-door RAV4, it was incredibly reliable and did not cost much to run.