Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travel Guide Entry - Your favourite place visited

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Lake Bled.
    Same, such a beautiful and friendly place. 

There's a penzion there that was lovely too and the food was superb.
  • Options
    Sydney
    New York
    Rio
    That’s 3 places. So we’ll have to accept KFC - Catford 
    He has never been in the KFC - he usually sits outside with cap in hand. 

In fact here he is....

Bet you were chuffed to find that pic. Propa made me laugh
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Route 170 along the Rio Grande and through Big Bend National Park.
    State Park, not National Park. The 170 doesn't go through the NP, but a very good choice!
    You are quite right, I drove through the State Park from Presido, then in to the National Park. In my opinion better than Highway 1 in California.
  • Options
    Moorea Tahiti. 
  • Options
    Queenstown, New Zealand

Not just the adventure capital but just a beautiful area surrounded by both the Remarkables Mountain range and Lake Wairarapa

Within range of both Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound, two amazing great days out in the Fiordland National Park (or a few hours if you decide to fly into the former)
    My choice was Milford Sound but Queenstown is not a bad call. I spent Christmas Eve - Boxing Day there a few years ago. Loved the jet-boating, kayaking and horse riding topped off by the beautiful scenery. I remember seeing photos of the England cricket team playing there once with the Remarkables in the background.
  • Options
    Lermaire Channel Antarctica

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Waiting to hear from @PeterGage
  • Options

Wow, what was you doing in Antarctica?
  • Options

I would love to go on a trip like that!  Appeals a lot more than roasting on a sunbed.

One day! 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Building a Snowman?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cape Town
  • Options
    Sydney
    New York
    Rio
    That’s 3 places. So we’ll have to accept KFC - Catford 
    He has never been in the KFC - he usually sits outside with cap in hand. 

In fact here he is....

Bet you were chuffed to find that pic. Propa made me laugh
    Found it? Dicky took it!
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Trying to keep warm
  • Options
    Belvedere Palace, Vienna. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Going to my 91st different country/Island in 10 days time  - safari in Serengeti during the Great Wildebeest Migration season. Booked to go to San Francisco in Feb.

To answer the question, we will be returning to our favourite place, Rannalhi, Maldives in Sept next year - our 6th visit to The Maldives and third to Rannalhi. Apart from the natural beauty of Maldivian islands, plus the abundance of equatic life, Rannalhi is so small that walking from one end of the Island to the other takes just 7 minutes. Rannalhi is at the cheaper end of the cost range for The Maldives, which allows us, within our budget, to stay in a water bungalow over the sea.

For me personally, a holiday taking in Yellowstone Park and the Black Hills, South Dakota, runs Rannalhi a very close second.
  • Options
    Agree with the Maldives, we went to Kuredu Island but it was 22years ago and has changed beyond all recognition now, no water bungalows when we went, just a mud hut on the beach with an open air bathroom.
    Seaplane from Male was an experience too!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Going to my 91st different country/Island in 10 days time  - safari in Serengeti during the Great Wildebeest Migration season. Booked to go to San Francisco in Feb.

To answer the question, we will be returning to our favourite place, Rannalhi, Maldives in Sept next year - our 6th visit to The Maldives and third to Rannalhi. Apart from the natural beauty of Maldivian islands, plus the abundance of equatic life, Rannalhi is so small that walking from one end of the Island to the other takes just 7 minutes. Rannalhi is at the cheaper end of the cost range for The Maldives, which allows us, within our budget, to stay in a water bungalow over the sea.

For me personally, a holiday taking in Yellowstone Park and the Black Hills, South Dakota, runs Rannalhi a very close second.
    Agree with the Maldives, we went to Kuredu Island but it was 22years ago and has changed beyond all recognition now, no water bungalows when we went, just a mud hut on the beach with an open air bathroom.

Sadly I fear for some of the atolls, some appear to have been bought by companies and while using Maldivian people as well as Sri Lankan’s front of house the people behind the scenes (Americans) are money driven. I spoke to the original manager before leaving after our 4th visit and negotiated $500 to renew our wedding vows on our visit the following year. On our return the manager had gone and while it was in the diary no payment had been made, I was told it had been cancelled and it wouldn’t happen. Fortunately I hadnt told my wife as was due to be a surprise. When I left I was told they are now flying in mainly Japanese couples to get married and they fly them out again the same day for around $25000. Meedhapparu is a beautiful island and the Maldivians are beautiful people, the seaplane is certainly an experience you’ll never forget. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:

Sadly I fear for some of the atolls, some appear to have been bought by companies and while using Maldivian people as well as Sri Lankan’s front of house the people behind the scenes (Americans) are money driven. I spoke to the original manager before leaving after our 4th visit and negotiated $500 to renew our wedding vows on our visit the following year. On our return the manager had gone and while it was in the diary no payment had been made, I was told it had been cancelled and it wouldn’t happen. Fortunately I hadnt told my wife as was due to be a surprise. When I left I was told they are now flying in mainly Japanese couples to get married and they fly them out again the same day for around $25000. Meedhapparu is a beautiful island and the Maldivians are beautiful people, the seaplane is certainly an experience you’ll never forget. 
    Thanks for your views. My immediate experience, booking for next year, has shown no significant price increase since our last visit to the same Island, which was 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Kuredu in The Maldives for me, we spent a week there after touring around Sri Lanka and it was 7 days in paradise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:

Stayed in Rapid City, did the Blackhills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands, onto Wyoming Devils Tower. Then the Minute Man silo , just outside Wall. 

Best place in the world ? Greenwich Park by the Royal Observatory, at dawn on a Summer Morning Looking out over the greatest city in the world!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:

Stayed in Rapid City, did the Blackhills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands, onto Wyoming Devils Tower. Then the Minute Man silo , just outside Wall. 

Best place in the world ? Greenwich Park by the Royal Observatory, at dawn on a Summer Morning Looking out over the greatest city in the world!
    I love the Black Hills, which legally belong to the Sioux nation, under the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty. The american government attempted to purchase the Black Hills from the Sioux for $1m in 1874. The latest offer (last year, I think) was 1.3bn. The Sioux cant agree amongst themselves whether to take the money. They realise they will never get the Black Hills back and one suggestion, emanting from the Sioux, is to receive a yearly share of the profits derived from tourists visiting the Black Hills. I hope they get the justice I believe they deserve, some time in the future. 
  • Options
    Grizzly Bear Ranch in Canada. Best 4 days of my life. 
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    Wow, that sounds fun. West Coast (?), somewhere like Banff?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    kimbo said:
    Yes between Banff and Vancouver. 

My best ever holiday. It’s expensive but nothing else to spend £ on, so remote so beautiful and Kristen and Julius are fabulous.  The bear sightings in the wild are the best thing ever. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    kimbo said:
    PeterGage said:
    kimbo said:

My best ever holiday. It’s expensive but nothing else to spend £ on, so remote so beautiful and Kristen and Julius are fabulous.  The bear sightings in the wild are the best thing ever. 
    Just looked at the website you posted on here, thanks. Looks wonderful but sadly my 70+ year old body would not be able to hike that far. Shame, coz it does appeal to me.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:

Thanks for your views. My immediate experience, booking for next year, has shown no significant price increase since our last visit to the same Island, which was 5 years ago.
    Don’t get me wrong Peter, holidays in the Maldives are very much affordable and value for money we paid less on our last four visits than we did six before hand for our first, but we found that the new resort owners were trying to get us to spend even more while we were there. Where as previously we were left to enjoy ourselves, getting invited to the returnees cocktail party and getting hustled to visit the jewellery shop isn’t my idea of fun. As your aware the islands are run by different resorts, maybe we should try a different island if and when we go back. 😉
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:
    T_C_E said:
    PeterGage said:
    MrOneLung said:

Don’t get me wrong Peter, holidays in the Maldives are very much affordable and value for money we paid less on our last four visits than we did six before hand for our first, but we found that the new resort owners were trying to get us to spend even more while we were there. Where as previously we were left to enjoy ourselves, getting invited to the returnees cocktail party and getting hustled to visit the jewellery shop isn’t my idea of fun. As your aware the islands are run by different resorts, maybe we should try a different island if and when we go back. 😉
    Thanks TCE for your comments. I shall bear them in mind when we return next year 
  • Options
    Elounda for me.Perfect place.Been 18 times on the spin and have many Greek friends now. So sitting outside the Allygos bar in the square for me.
    What restaurant are you referring to?
    Christ I went about 20 years ago. It was just down by the slipway where you can catch a boat across to Spinalonga. Well done you for returning. I totally get your enthusiasm for the place. 
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    PeterGage said:
    kimbo said:

That looks fabulous.