Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2019/20 average gate

save me the effort of working it out somebody, post the average gate. Yesterday’s 19,408 (2,999 derby) was no doubt up on the average so far.

Comments

• Options
    18,219 apparently.

12th highest in the division.
  • Options
    Thus average would surely be over 20k if not for all the boycotters/lost fans during the Duchatelet years . 
  • Options
    But for the reign of Roland and this continuing Cuntocracy, reckon we would be nudging 20's for half our fixtures this year.

The Belgian shitweasel has done some real damage and is way up there in the Charlton Pantheon of dirt bag shite owners.
  • Options
    Thus average would surely be over 20k if not for all the boycotters/lost fans during the Duchatelet years . 
    Well the numbers have increased significantly this season. Get back to the Championship, play decent football and people return. Or new people are attracted

• Options
    Well the numbers have increased significantly this season. Get back to the Championship, play decent football and people return. Or new people are attracted

This, without wanting to go into the whole debate again I can't help but feel the number of boycotters has significantly decreased, it was always estimated at about 3,500 I think at it's peak, anyone any ideas what the estimate would be now?
  • Options

This, without wanting to go into the whole debate again I can't help but feel the number of boycotters has significantly decreased, it was always estimated at about 3,500 I think at it's peak, anyone any ideas what the estimate would be now?

Eaststandmike, Large, AnnaKissed and Elfsborg  :-)
  • Options
    Average attendance 18,219
    Average home support only 15,822.
  • Options

No idea how many people boycotted but attendances are now back to where they were pre-Roland.

The season we finished 9th in the Championship with Powell our average attendance was 18,499. I think we'll better that this season.

The knock on effect of Wembley, Bowyer, a better team and a better atmosphere have all contributed.

Also on top of the fact that the home attendances are now back to where they were, our away followings have increased.
  • Options
    Trying to think back to 4 seasons ago, was the Jimmy Seed always filled by the away fans? It does seem that we've had a decent number of away fans at The Valley so far this season, even Swansea in midweek brought a decent number
  • Options

Ahem! :'(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019

A very good point. There is always a chance that those who chose to not go, find something else to fill their time on a Saturday afternoon.

And, as word gets around about the style of football Charlton are playing, others, particularly younger people, who maybe don't have a particular allegiance to a football club, come along.

And, with the atmosphere being what it is at The Valley ATM, it's very easy to get hooked...
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry 5 :-)
  • Options

A very good point. There is always a chance that those who chose to not go, find something else to fill their time on a Saturday afternoon.

And, as word gets around about the style of football Charlton are playing, others, particularly younger people, who maybe don't have a particular allegiance to a football club, come along.

And, with the atmosphere being what it us at The Valley ATM, it's very easy to get hooked...
    It certainly feels we have a new generation of supporters that have arrived in the last couple of seasons.

That the Covered End is so much busier than the rest of the home areas rather bears this out, people are going there because they want to be part of the atmosphere
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry 5 :-)

Mind you, moving to Wales 18 months ago has made my boycott easier.

• Options
    There has been a certain amount of churn , fans have been lost but anyone coming to The Valley in the last 12 months must be impressed. The atmosphere is great and it's an enjoyable experience , the word spreads. We just need Roland to sell up as its all built on sand at the moment 
  • Options
    I reckon there has only ever been 200 genuine boycotters but other stopped going for various reasons and boycotting was an easy option to say why they weren’t going. 

• Options
    Family stand half empty as well even though ST sold out in this section. 
    It is half term weekend so lots on hols probably
  • Options
    If our present form continues,the crowds will increase,if a top 6 challenge is there in the new year ,I am certain our crowds will regularly exceed the 20000 mark.The boycotts coincided with the clubs relegation and struggles in league 1,so many will not have come purely due to the standard of football on offer.As word gets round about what is now happening at the Valley,more people will be attracted,and will be hooked,the atmosphere on match days is now better than ever.I would imagine that most of the original boycotters have sucumbed to their love of the club and returned.Those that have not returned are missing out ,while never attempting to tell people what to do,give it a go,RD is an irrelevance on match days,all though boycotters feel justified in denying him their hard earned cash(No criticism)it wont affect him one little bit.This could be a very enjoyable period in the clubs history.
  • Options
    As discussed in yesterday’s VOTV, the home crowd has returned to where it was in 2012, but I don’t think the away average will hold up. Preston, Hull, Huddersfield are all to come before Christmas, at least one of them on TV.

One thing to add is that in both 2012 and now the average is underpinned by very cheap season tickets. They went up in 2013 and crowds fell. There’s no way the club will repeat the Covered End lower price (under this regime) in the Championship, which may reduce the number of sales.

Historically the number of match tickets being sold at present is very high - maybe the highest ever. I think that’s due to the relative ease of buying online with print at home.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

And, with the atmosphere being what it us at The Valley ATM, it's very easy to get hooked...
    It certainly feels we have a new generation of supporters that have arrived in the last couple of seasons.

That the Covered End is so much busier than the rest of the home areas rather bears this out, people are going there because they want to be part of the atmosphere
    I followed five blokes out of NL yesterday, all East European (no colours) and I doubt they were supporters when Duchatalet came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being in the Championship makes such a difference when it comes to attracting "neutrals". You can do everything right off the field, but if you're playing Leeds or Derby that's so much more attractive commercially to playing Shrewsbury or Wycombe. Especially when most PL games in London are sold out or really expensive.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I reckon there has only ever been 200 genuine boycotters but other stopped going for various reasons and boycotting was an easy option to say why they weren’t going. 

Money comes in to it.
    When u add up the cost per month travelling and supporting its a lot especially to shit holes like...(insert here) in league 1

• Options
    I set myself a target of 10 home games and have already done 4 so far. If Bowyer stays il probably go for a season ticket next year.