Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defunct Sports Grounds - Not Football

Prompted by the Defunct Grounds threads. What other old sports grounds have you been to?

Rayleigh Stadium, home of Rayleigh Rockets Speedway. Now an industrial estate and Sainsburys.

Southend Stadium, dog racing and onetime home of Southend United. Now Matalan, Iceland and Mecca Bingo.

Walthamstow Stadium. Once Britain's leading dog track, now a block of flats.

Comments

• Options
    Woolwich stadium
  • Options
    Catford and Wimbledon greyhound racing, a cracking night out btw.

Maple Leaf Gardens for the Toronto Maple Leafs Ice Hockey.
  • Options
    Catford Dogs

If you look to the left of the picture, between the school and the station, you can just make out the roof of my old house. 

Probably.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Catford Dogs

If you look to the left of the picture, between the school and the station, you can just make out the roof of my old house. 

Probably.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OKWmtQCde0
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Plough Lane speedway, went there often, soon to be AFCW new home. Saw Ron Clarke's final run at White City. London Irish in Sunbury, now a posh housing estate. Blackbushe Airport, although not purpose built used to be great for drag racing. Wembley Pool used to host Tennis, Harlem Globetrotters, athletics five aside, many promoted by my grandfather, loads of free tickets, footballs and timex watches. 
  • Options
    Charlton and New Cross dog tracks.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Woolwich Stadium and Hackney & Wimbledon Greyhounds. 
  • Options
    crystal palice athletics stadium.

Did palice v Chelsea reserves.

Also India v Pakistan for cricket.  This got called off because fans kept running on when a 4/6 was scored, or a wicket went down.  All very funny but chaotic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Charlton dog racing, where and when?
  • Options
    Catford Dogs

Posh side or cheap side?
  • Options
    I miss the old Crayford stadium, used to love the banger racing, especially with the figure of 8 layout!

My old man used to take me to the banger racing there, I used to love it.

Would probably be in tears at all the classics being destroyed if I went now!
  • Options
    Harringay Arena. Now a shopping centre.  

• Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    It was located roughly where Makro now is. It closed around 1971 (I think) so I remember it but was too young to visit it. 
  • Options
    Fisher Athletic?
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    It was located roughly where Makro now is. It closed around 1971 (I think) so I remember it but was too young to visit it. 
    My old man worked at Sykes and I can remember some of the old, blue stadium walls were still there.
  • Options
    I miss the old Crayford stadium, used to love the banger racing, especially with the figure of 8 layout!

My old man used to take me to the banger racing there, I used to love it.

Would probably be in tears at all the classics being destroyed if I went now!
    We lived right by the station and my dad used to race there in the bangers. Me and my sister used to help spray his cars and then get upset when they were all smashed up.
  • Options
    I've been to Folkestone racecourse.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Charlton dogging , where and when?

• Options
    Tom_Hovi said:

Down by the level crossing for a bit of dp.
  • Options
    I saw Rotherham v York at the Don Valley, now has a cinema and Ice Hockey on/around the site.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:

Only in the summer, getting a bit too cold now.
  • Options
    White City stadium for athletics,now B.B.C & other broadcasting companies offices.
  • Options
    Tom_Hovi said:
    Tom_Hovi said:
    I used to go after watching Charlton in the 60's
  • Options
    clive said:
    White City stadium for athletics,now B.B.C & other broadcasting companies offices.

... and the Greyhound Derby. The famous White City roar! It really was a noise to behold as soon as the hare started running.