Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Belgian Beer advice

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else thirsty?.
    Gasping, I really fancy a Bruges Zot or a Kwak(yes, I have the glass😁) right now.😛
  • Options
    I think I will be drinking the 1/3 pints so i can experience a wider variety of the beers.
  • Options
    Salad said:
    I don't mind Triple Hop, but personally I find 9.5% beer is a step too far, Chouffe do something similar with their Houblon IPA.
    I both cases I prefer the taste of their standard beers, even if they are really weak at a mere 8.5% !
    Saison du Pont and Grimbergen Blonde are great beers at 6.5%.

There's a saying : it's not that difficult to make a nice beer with a lot of alcohol . It's much harder to make a nice beer with a moderate amount of alcohol . That's why I drink Taras Boulba instead of the Duvel Triple Hop . And to show the craftmanship of the Brugse Zot brewery … they made "SportsZot", elected best 0% alcohol beer . It's my choice of beer when I still have to drive … (Zot translates as a jester, a fool, a joker … ) .

• Options
    Must admit, most of the Belgies i worked with have said that Duvel is the King of Beers, and nothing come close to it, but tbh, i could never 'get' it.
    Most Englies I worked with only drink lager and tbh I have never got 'it' either.
  • Options
    Duvel is like the Belgian equivalent of a basic IPA or something, it isn't much to get the heart racing 
  • Options
    I want to flag Leuth
  • Options
    I know I will get tut tutted but I really liked the draught Jupiler in Belgium. Surprised it isn't popular here.
  • Options
    I know I will get tut tutted but I really liked the draught Jupiler in Belgium. Surprised it isn't popular here.
    Tut tut , naughty boy.
    Jupiler is the Skol (remember that ?) of Belgian beers
  • Options
    But on a hot day it is lovely :)
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Duvel is like the Belgian equivalent of a basic IPA or something, it isn't much to get the heart racing 
    Drink Duvel, piss IPA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I think I will be drinking the 1/3 pints so i can experience a wider variety of the beers.
    In small doses. Belgian beer is to be respected and sipped like tea.

Three or four pints of their stuff is more enjoyable than guzzling down double of whatever over here.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    In small doses. Belgian beer is to be respected and sipped like tea.

Three or four pints of their stuff is more enjoyable than guzzling down double of whatever over here.
    Couldn't agree more with that, if you can't help yourself and want a great british piss up ask for a pincher and you will be given a third pint schnoor is the what I think they are called of a lager. They are still to be respected and Gordon's 5 was my weapon of choice when approaching a session in Belgium 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Anyone else thirsty?.

Absolutely and I might even grab a few Leffe Brun for the weekend, (yes I know but my choices are limited), just to wet the whistle for next weeks trip to Belgium. Going to be one of, if not the last business trip I'll take so I plan on going out in style, (two company farewell parties and a friends gathering)

Will try to bring as much back as the vehicle will carry, (gonna sound like a milk float on the return journey). :-)

• Options
    edited November 2019
    @KillersBeard - Bruges? If so, for your retail therapy, do you head to the big Carrefour north of the centre?

• Options
    I have been to Belgium and Brussels a few times but never for the Christmas markets. I am going to the market in Brussels at the end of the month (will miss sheff wed) game. Anyone been? What is it like? I plan to drink, eat and get Merry 🍺
  • Options
    Salad said:
    @KillersBeard - Bruges? If so, for your retail therapy, do you head to the big Carrefour north of the centre?

Cheers Salad. No the company is based just outside Waterloo, there's a couple of decent supermarkets around, so I should be ok. Plus I might head to St. Feuillien on my last day to see if they have a shop at the brewery.
  • Options
    Another vote for Brugse Zot here, lovely stuff I also like Hommelbier from Poperinghe    
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Another vote for Brugse Zot here, lovely stuff I also like Hommelbier from Poperinghe    

I see you discovered the good stuff !

• Options
    I have been to Belgium and Brussels a few times but never for the Christmas markets. I am going to the market in Brussels at the end of the month (will miss sheff wed) game. Anyone been? What is it like? I plan to drink, eat and get Merry 🍺
    This is solely my opinion mate so don't take it as gospel by any stretch 

I thought Brussels was a shithole, dull and European in the bad ways not the good ways. Faceless, forgettable and I bet all the locals eat cheese and ham sandwiches for breakfast. 

About 50% of the people I know who have been there agree, Belgium is a pretty forgettable place in general but it has more to offer than Brussels 
  • Options
    I think Brussels is lovely for a couple of days. Grand-place is very nice, but also pricey. The Atomium is worth a visit on its own. As for the rest of Brussels though, I suspect you're probably right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I live near Antwerp and saddly have to say that myself and most of the people I know try to avoid most parts of Brussels . There's a street near "the Grand Place" - butchers street (rue du bouchers), 30 years ago famous for all the lively, but nice restaurants . Now … those are expensive tourist traps . Also, if you take a wrong turn, you can easily end up in the ghetto parts of Brussels (where sandwishes with cheese & ham aren't eaten) . This being said … it's not fair to say this makes the whole country a dull place . It depends what you're looking for, I suppose . Are you a petrol head ? We have the most beautiful racetrack … in the world (Francorchamps) . You're a history buff ? Ask me for a list of things to see & visit . For beer … it's different then Germany for instance . They too have nice beer, but Belgium has different styles . And those styles are evolving . In case you 're interested in a bloke, good with a football … go to Manchester : I hear there's a ginger who's not too shabby ;)
  • Options
    A word also for the Rochefort beers in the bar list. 8 and 10 are both pretty spectacular, if boozy and expensive
  • Options
    skywalker said:
    I live near Antwerp and saddly have to say that myself and most of the people I know try to avoid most parts of Brussels . There's a street near "the Grand Place" - butchers street (rue du bouchers), 30 years ago famous for all the lively, but nice restaurants . Now … those are expensive tourist traps . Also, if you take a wrong turn, you can easily end up in the ghetto parts of Brussels (where sandwishes with cheese & ham aren't eaten) . This being said … it's not fair to say this makes the whole country a dull place . It depends what you're looking for, I suppose . Are you a petrol head ? We have the most beautiful racetrack … in the world (Francorchamps) . You're a history buff ? Ask me for a list of things to see & visit . For beer … it's different then Germany for instance . They too have nice beer, but Belgium has different styles . And those styles are evolving . In case you 're interested in a bloke, good with a football … go to Manchester : I hear there's a ginger who's not too shabby ;)
    I love Antwerpen, I have also spent a lot of time in the surrounding townships. 

And I wouldn't do that if I didn't like them, I just think outside of the main cities the locals are pretty weird, in a bewildered kind of way. Hard to describe unless you've been in a dark bar at 3am with a load of farmers and their kids I suppose 

• Options
    I used to work in Brussels and wouldn't recommend a visit there at all....yes, Grand Place is nice but that's it...spend an afternoon there whilst en route somewhere else...
  • Options
    Le Palais du Houblon in Nivelles has 350 different beers on offer.
    Was given a lovely selection as a parting gift and my only gripe was that they had waited 41 bloody years to take me here. 😂
  • Options
    A word for those new to Belgian beer, it is traditional that each different brew is served in its own individually styled glass. Nightmare for washer-uppers. 
  • Options

Looks like the place was rocking:-) 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I think Brussels is lovely for a couple of days. Grand-place is very nice, but also pricey. The Atomium is worth a visit on its own. As for the rest of Brussels though, I suspect you're probably right.
    Who cares what Belgium is like once you step into their delightful boozers.
  • Options

Looks like the place was rocking:-) 
    I bet @KillersBeard was after 3 hours on the drink.