Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Commuting. Do you become immune to it?

Comments

• Options
    For five years I did Maidstone to Camden Town - driving straight through London. Then for the next five years I did Maidstone to Harrow driving around the M25. On a bad day it could take me over two hours each way! What a waste of precious time!

For the past 12 years I've been a 30-40 minute drive from the office and it is a comparative joy! 
  • Options
    Used to dive from Chelmsford to Hatfield, that was a horror show, then train to Liverpool Street for a few years. Now train to Colchester, 20/25 mins empty train, nice combined walk of about 40 mins either end, can't complain, get to read my book, listen to music, bit of exercise. Other problem in town was passing loads of food establishments, guaranteed weight gain. None of that fun now
  • Options
    Bloody hell! Maidstone to Camden Town. Can I ask, was the vehicle part of the job? Because I would've have 100 per cent have taken the train and tube if it wasn't.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Bloody hell! Maidstone to Camden Town. Can I ask, was the vehicle part of the job? Because I would've have 100 per cent have taken the train and tube if it wasn't.
    That's what Bob's chauffeur said but he wasn't having it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I hate it as I get older.  London is too crowded.  I am fortunate in that I live 2 mins away from Honor Oak train station, and I am overground to Canada Water, jubilee to bond street and then 2 min walk to the office, but it's definitely getting more fraught out there.  People are just pissed off getting into work and for good reason.  The government need to do more to encourage businesses to set up outside of London and regenerate the rest of the UK.  It's great that London is seen as a city everyone wants to come to, but if it goes on, The elizabeth line won't cut it.  I hate hearing the sound of the tube doors reopening after they've closed and the tube is meant to depart.  That sound goes straight through me.  The announcement of 'not leaning on the doors' is futile.  People are leaning against the doors because we're all too hemmed in.  People are going to be leaning on doors until the rest of the UK is given the investment and the infrastructure we need to stop the masses moving to London.

It's going to get a lot worse in my opinion 
    You have put that a lot more eloquently that me 

The very real problem for everywhere else though is the transport links, out of town industrial estates and trading estates all need a car or sparse bus generally. London is easy to get around but you are right, its fucken packed. 

And whilst there are hubs of employment spread around the country the money is so disparate to London money people swallow the commute. 

• Options

I don't really commute anymore, this makes it a lot harder when I do have to.

I work from home, but go into the office sometimes every other week, other times once a month. I used to drive in, only 40 mins- 1 hour journey, but you kind of build your tolerance and find a routine that makes it more bearable. Now as I moved further away its a worse journey and I have to get up much earlier so its harder to tolerate even though I go in less. I actually enjoy being in the office but the journey just makes it too much effort and takes a lot out of me.

Summary- Getting a routine makes it bearable, although can also be just as painful.

• Options
    How people can concentrate fully driving home in the dark after a 10hr day I’ll never know
    Absolutely this.  One of my wife's best mate's and her husband moved up to Lincolnshire a couple of years ago, to be mortgage-free whilst they brought up their kids.
    The husband lost his job shortly afterwards and when he eventually found another job, he was doing just under a 3hr drive in both directions!  Absolutely mental to be commuting for almost 6hrs a day, especially on the roads up there.

I used to find it hard enough driving back from Canary Wharf when I met my wife after work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    How people can concentrate fully driving home in the dark after a 10hr day I’ll never know
    Absolutely this.  One of my wife's best mate's and her husband moved up to Lincolnshire a couple of years ago, to be mortgage-free whilst they brought up their kids.
    The husband lost his job shortly afterwards and when he eventually found another job, he was doing just under a 3hr drive in both directions!  Absolutely mental to be commuting for almost 6hrs a day, especially on the roads up there.

I used to find it hard enough driving back from Canary Wharf when I met my wife after work!
    You struggle mate 

I havent touched an energy drink for well over a year and it's made a positive difference as I used to think those things were all that kept my eyes open going home 

Worst bit it the M20 in crawling traffic, I'm on that poxy stretch of road at 6.20am and 6.20pm most days and it is a pig 

Drivers with LED xenon headlamps set at the highest setting are my biggest annoyance 
  • Options
    Gravesend to Woolwich Arsenal then DLR to East India then a 15 minute walk to work - around 1 hour 30 door to door. Going to work is usually ok getting a seat on the train and on the DLR if lucky. Coming home is a ball-ache. Packed DLR and packed trains. You go on autopilot mainly with videos and games to take up the time. As is usual with 99% on here train delays are a total nightmare.  
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Work In Borough High Street live near Meopham, the train costs over £4K per year and it takes me up to two hours each way.
    So I ride my motorcycle in each day, M20, A20, Lee, lewisham, old Kent road, under flyover into Borough takes 45 mins and costs £25 per week in petrol.
    Also all the myopic car drivers and pedestrians keep you on yer toes.
    Its an adventure every day....
  • Options
    15 minute walk to Bexleyheath station. 30 odd minutes into Cannon Street. 10 minute walk to the office at the other end. Usually get a seat both ways. The trains do wrong occasionally but not enough to annoy me plus if it all goes tits up I can just work from home.

I have been fortunate that all the offices I have worked in in London are within walking distance of a major rail station. I think getting the tube every day would put a different slant on things.
  • Options
    I despise commuting and i'm forever banging on about how we should allow freedom to work from home, my employer doesn't allow it unless you have a specific reason, but truth be known i'm rubbish working from home, I have a nice lie in and end up watching all the day time TV.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    hawksmoor said:
    The tube wasnt built back then... and the roads were quiet!

Your commute sounds horrendous to me hawksmoor.  You must love your job. 

• Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Hour door to door if all runs smoothly, Bexleyheath to Covent Garden. Can be a pain in the arse when the trains are knackered but pretty much always get a seat and have a kip on the way home. The biggest pain in the arse is usually other commuters.
    A seat? What is this sorcery you speak of?
    I try and time it so that i get the train from Bexleyheath that comes very shortly after a train thats also going CX. Usually empty at the end carriages so guaranteed a seat. Then on the way home, i get to the station 15 mins before it departs and walk, once again, to the end carriages. Never understood why people don't walk that little bit further down the train and get yourself a bit of space.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Hour door to door if all runs smoothly, Bexleyheath to Covent Garden. Can be a pain in the arse when the trains are knackered but pretty much always get a seat and have a kip on the way home. The biggest pain in the arse is usually other commuters.
    I try and time it so that i get the train from Bexleyheath that comes very shortly after a train thats also going CX. Usually empty at the end carriages so guaranteed a seat. Then on the way home, i get to the station 15 mins before it departs and walk, once again, to the end carriages. Never understood why people don't walk that little bit further down the train and get yourself a bit of space.
    I’d get as much space away from other commuters too if I used the Bexleyheath line.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    You should see the platform at Canada Water overground.  So many people congregate in the middle as opposed to moving toward either end of the platform, making it bottlenecked trying to get through, and often too crowded toward the middle of the train when there is space (albeit to stand) at the end

• Options
    Don’t even get me started on people keeping rucksacks on their backs as well.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    haven't got a choice
    Why?
    Get paid much more if I commute rather than not. Easier to find jobs, easier to network, more things to do after work rather than just driving home
    They all sound like choices to me 😃
  • Options
    The best bit about commuting, is seeing people who sit at a desk all day fighting for seats for a 15 min trip. 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Have commuted for the last 30 years notwithstanding 2 mat leave stints and the last 4 1/2 months. Initially Kidbrooke to CX and into west end but last 14 years Sidcup to CX then usually walk to Westminster. Very glad I dont touch the tube network. Around 1 hr 15 door to door. Not normally a prob - pretty much have always bagged a seat. But when it goes tits up it really isnt pleasant. 

Am currently back commuting 1 day a week (broke my leg back in July and return to work is phased), avoiding rush hour. 
  • Options
    cant believe the fares my sisters fella is working in stratford and they live in gillingham his annual fare is £5460.00!!!! i mean he is a qauntity surveyor so on a good wage but that is ridiculous.

although even barnehurst zones 1-6 is £2959.20
  • Options
    Would never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever never ever commute for a job never ever never ever never ever again...30 odd years of hideous memories and i doff my hat to all you poor sheep who still do,  the angst, the bottom of humanity, the BO!
  • Options
    As others have said, you get used to it. In saying that I find it helpful that I do the commute in different ways, as I cycle in 6 months of the year (April - October), but that has it's own stresses!

Also every so often I'll run home from work part of the way and get the train the rest of the way, which helps to mix it up.

In saying all of that nothing can help you cope with the trains going up the spout, usually on the days when you need to be in work early!
  • Options
    I have a straight shoot on the northern line from Tooting Bec to Bank, and I've noticed that my commute is much more enjoyable ever since I started reading, though I have had to master how to turn a page one handed.

However, there are still some things that really grate and I have listed them below (with the punishments I'd enforce if I were Mayor):

People using apple pay at the ticket barriers and not having their phone ready - you would have your phone confiscated for the rest of the day

People with rucksacks on the tube - you have to carry your items around in a clear plastic bag so we can all see what you've got on you

People standing on the wrong side of the escalator and those who 'drift' off the final few steps - you will lose access to escalators and have to carry additional weight up the steps instead

People who have such low quality headphones or play their music so loud that the rest of the carriage can hear the beat - you will be fitted with a device that makes you temporarily deaf, seeing as you don't value the health of our ears anyway

People who pull the emergency alarm when there is clearly no emergency - banned from the tube for the rest of the week

I'm there are more I could add after my journey home but that seems like a good place to start.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I have a straight shoot on the northern line from Tooting Bec to Bank, and I've noticed that my commute is much more enjoyable ever since I started reading, though I have had to master how to turn a page one handed.

Just let go of your cock for a few seconds, it would help.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Work in Brighton, wages are terrible for this part of the country. 35 minute commute on the train. Usually get a seat on the way home and always very quiet in the mornings if you arrive before 8:45.

I am usually in London once a month for work and the thought of having to the same journey five days a week to London Bridge and then again on Saturday’s to watch Charlton keeps me from working in London.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    hawksmoor said:
    The tube wasnt built back then... and the roads were quiet!

Your commute sounds horrendous to me hawksmoor.  You must love your job. 

Very true - I should have said that a man had to walk in front of the car with a white flag, hence taking so long!