Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Johnny-come-lateleys

2»

Comments

• Options
    tom_k said:
    Nothing new really, loads of people in the prem years got annoyed that we didn't make it into Europe and called for Curbs to be sacked.
    Bit different Tom. We weren't slagging individual players off en masse when we lost games - which we did regularly. People could see we were doing our best to compete with poorer resources - much like now.
  • Options
    I went last night and despite losing 2-1 to the 4th bottom team and from a winning position our players and Bowyer were cheered/clapped off the pitch.  I heard no negativity around me just realisation our squad is stretched and appreciation of our lads efforts trying.  

Then I came on here and the same shone through.  People do of course discuss players and have views, I am not a Sarr fan and will be glad when his disproportionate wages can be put to better use but I don't boo him.  

Twitter and facebook are made for morons unfortunately and if players do not like abuse on there or feel it getting to them then they should just come off it and ignore it, really is that easy - of course it shouldn't be like that but it is at every club in the land.  
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Whilst the original post may be correct, it bears no relation to the actual support the team receives at the matches.
    To be fair though I think Cardinal Sin is still boycotting, so may be unaware of the terrific support.
  • Options
    Sunderland lost at home to Burton last night - puts it in perspective 
  • Options
    I don't suppose this will be popular but I am going to say it nonetheless. The extremes in emotions on social media about our performances over the last 18 months or so (good and bad) are very new and becoming a real pain-in-the-arse. Charlton fans over the years have learnt not to get too far ahead of themselves, safe in the knowledge that success is only ever fleeting and for every high there is inevitably a low. We have always expected more than our Millwall brethren, who have accepted their lot and been prepared simply to back their side, enjoy their good times because they know they will return sooner or later to whence they came, so our eventual disappointment has always come with a bit more frustration, but the current hysterics that follow every disappointment coincides with the rise in our younger support. That support has been great to see, by the way, but I wish these people could see the bigger picture and be a bit more realistic. 

We started this season with another enforced squad churn. There were plenty of new faces and we knew we had the smallest budget in the league. Every year for a long time, the three sides with the smallest budget have finished in the bottom six. We were favourites for relegation. It's not a huge surprise. However, Bowyer and his team got us off to a cracking start and we genuinely looked competitive at the top of the table but injuries have taken their toll and it should be no surprise to anyone that results have gone against us of late and that we are understandably struggling. Naby Sarr grew into a beast of player for us last season and has the promise of much more to come, but has made a few mistakes which have cost us but the abuse he's suffered for it on social media has way out-of-order. If those two goals at Millwall had been at Luton, I am sure it wouldn't have been nearly as bad but that's just another result of some fans' unrealistic expectations. Others have been scapegoated too, the defence in general. It's not surprising we are struggling at the back. Their workload has doubled due to injuries in midfield which have meant us having to play on the back-foot. I am pretty sure Bowyer sees this and is doing what he can to try and make up for it but it's difficult with so many players unavailable through injuries. That's why we started with five at the back and only three in midfield last night. 

All of our supporters need to get real here and start backing the team and stop abusing individual players for every single mistake they make. You would think we had four or five howling first-teamers given the levels of hysterical abuse. The fact is, we haven't, we are just desperately short and having to play our weakest possible sides which is inevitably putting us under more pressure and contributing to more errors. When the injury situation improves, which it should do, the same hecklers will be grand-standing improved performances again and no doubt we will hear the cringey return of the "he used to be shit, but he's alright now" song.

Bowyer and his boys need our backing and the negativity should be fired at Duchatelet who still refuses to support Bowyer properly and is content for a sub-standard squad and who doesn't care about results or performances.
    Plastic
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    It seems to be getting more and more common, we win 3 games on the spin and we are going to win the next World Cup. Lose 3 and we are destined for the Woolwich and District league. We have a good 15/16 players capable of holding their own in this division, sadly the depth in the squad is not up to the task. Bringing the kids in for a meaningless cup game is one thing playing them week in week out is not something Bowyer wouldn't choose to do, I hear people saying about Gallagher is only 19 but he's an exception talent. We are sending our 19 year old to Bromley to get some experience Chelsea send them to The Valley. The owner plays the numbers game when it comes to the first team squad he sees Bowyer has a squad of 23/24 players, Bowyer sees a squad of 15/16 then the kids every transfer window its the same old story someone is out of contract or nearing the end and will move on to get a decent wage and come the summer all the loans go back and we start again. I prefer the the Curb's way don't get to carried away when we win or lose.  
    Don’t mention the Woolwich and District league.  Roland might be reading this!
  • Options
    While propping up the bar of the Valley club, the great Derek Hales once said to me about his critics ‘if they can do better’.
     :) 
    Killer - critics? I can't believe he had any and even if there was one, they would have kept schtumm!
    well, the Flash was one 
  • Options
    tom_k said:
    Nothing new really, loads of people in the prem years got annoyed that we didn't make it into Europe and called for Curbs to be sacked.
    Loads? 
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Scoham said:
    tom_k said:
    Loads? 
    Net Addicks certainly had plenty posting that kind of stuff at the time. If I read something like 'Curbs has done an alright job but he's taken us as far as he can and the football's crap' once I read it a thousand times.

Some of the main culprits now post on here incidentally.
  • Options
    I went last night and despite losing 2-1 to the 4th bottom team and from a winning position our players and Bowyer were cheered/clapped off the pitch.  I heard no negativity around me just realisation our squad is stretched and appreciation of our lads efforts trying.  

Then I came on here and the same shone through.  People do of course discuss players and have views, I am not a Sarr fan and will be glad when his disproportionate wages can be put to better use but I don't boo him.  

Twitter and facebook are made for morons unfortunately and if players do not like abuse on there or feel it getting to them then they should just come off it and ignore it, really is that easy - of course it shouldn't be like that but it is at every club in the land.  
    Exactly what I was going to say.
    Whilst the original post may be correct, it bears no relation to the actual support the team receives at the matches.
    To be fair though I think Cardinal Sin is still boycotting, so may be unaware of the terrific support.
    I have been to a couple of games (Leeds and Swansea) and the support was excellent. Also watching now on i-Follow. Not criticising support at the games - the bigger crowds in the North Upper (largely younger fans) has been great to see. I am just banging on about the numpties on social media who can't handle losing and go into meltdown and scapegoat players. There was some Twonk yesterday screaming that Bowyer should be sacked.
  • Options
    That was probably Roland  :/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bubble said:
    Sunderland lost at home to Burton last night - puts it in perspective 
    Even more of a perspective QPR got thumped 4-0 at home last night
  • Options
    this is going to become a real problem when we're trying to get Barcelona away tickets