Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy Canada Day!

What a great day - just back from the town parade, don't think my daughter will forget this in a long time - a really festive fun atmosphere with no nationalistic overtones whatsoever. Why can't we have something like this back home?

Comments

• Options
    there was a thing set up in traf square for canada day this weekend i think
  • Options
    indeed there was, i walked through it on Friday, loads of people playing hockey, a simulator type thing and grizzly bear wrestling*

*the last thing is not true.
  • Options
    Yeah great fireworks and atmosphere here in Vancouver yesterday as well.

At home we do have loads of similar events just none to celebrate being British/English (apart from football) which I think is a shame - I think it results from a past of colonialism/nationalism etc.
  • Options
    Do the First Nations people participate?
  • Options
    I know a number of first nations people and they all joined in the celebrations. However there have been a number of protests following on from Fridays first nation day of action protesting about amongst other things the lack of education and opportunities for first nation people especially in the native reserves (I hate that term). As in the UK the politicians here in Canada generally couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery. Having lived in Australia though I still think that the plight of the first nations people here is way better than the aboriginal australians.
  • Options
    Can't pass this topic by ! Happy Canada Day all, just got back from 3 days playing cricket in Regina (yes I know it's a real cricketing hotbed) but we had fun and there were great fireworks outside the parliament building..