Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swimming lessons in SE London, any recommendations?

I'd like to buy a package of them for my sister for Christmas, she lives in Eltham.

She's not a serious swimmer at all but would become a regular if she felt she was "doing it right".

She believes there is some offer based at Charlton Lido. She's a bit wary of anything at Eltham Leisure Centre because she thinks the hygiene there is dodgy (and I agree with her).

Anybody got any experiences with this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    My sons were taught to swim at Colfes. Pretty nice there from what I remember.
  • Options
    Eric liddell centre in Mottingham lane.
  • Options
    Have you thought about David Lloyd down at kidbrook, that’s where the players swim I believe. A bit pricey but you're unlikely to find anything floating in the pool. 
  • Options
    Do they offer classes for the public there? 
  • Options
    The Pavilliom, The Glades, Bromley.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    My friend Magda is a swim teacher at ABC who do adult lessons at the old Eaglesfield school on Saturday afternoon 4-5. She trains advance class tho I believe.

https://abcswimschool.co.uk/Just-Swim/ 
  • Options
    Do they offer classes for the public there? 
    Yes, my sons didn’t attend the school. 
  • Options
    I'd like to buy a package of them for my sister for Christmas, she lives in Eltham.

She's not a serious swimmer at all but would become a regular if she felt she was "doing it right".

She believes there is some offer based at Charlton Lido. She's a bit wary of anything at Eltham Leisure Centre because she thinks the hygiene there is dodgy (and I agree with her).

Anybody got any experiences with this?

Cheers!
    Never heard that about Eltham, my kids learnt to swim there (teaching was good) and I use the gym, have never felt it wasn't looked after.
  • Options
    I’ll have to ask my mate too Nug as I’ve not heard that and she teaches there also. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    My friend Magda is a swim teacher at ABC who do adult lessons at the old Eaglesfield school on Saturday afternoon 4-5. She trains advance class tho I believe.

I learnt to swim there, normally with my pe teachers size 12 between my shoulder blades. 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

My son's attended lesson there. Instructors are good quality, but need to keep an eye on how many in the class and that the kids don't get overlooked.  
  • Options
    Eric Liddel, nice pool, decent changing rooms etc.

https://elsc.london/swimming-lessons/
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, several there to follow up.

Re Eltham: I swim a lot more now since my wife bought me lessons over here (just three were enough to radically improve my freestyle, mainly because the first one was a videoed session. Horror video!) So I have been visiting Eltham whenever I'm over. The thing that really gets me is that everybody just marches round the whole changing room area in their outdoor footwear. Complete no-no out here. Actually when I was there in october it looked like finally they were trying to get people to remove shoes, but most people just ignored it. Toilets pretty ropey too. Thought it was just me, but my sister was here this week, and she said that when she was there a lifeguard took buckets of water from the pool in order to clean the shower. I think she is right that they are all so young there, they don't really care about such stuff, but it's down to management. 
  • Options
    I used to have lessons at Colfes as a kid. Was good fun from what I can remember. Don’t have to go to school there. 
  • Options
    My advice is that the swimmer should keep their head above water as it helps with breathing.