Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Russia banned for 4 years from sporting events

Russia has been handed a four-year ban from all major sporting events by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada).

It means the Russia flag and anthem will not be allowed at events such as the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and football's 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/50710598

Comments

• Options
    Correct decision. IMO.
  • Options
    As if Russia are the only nation guilty of doping.
  • Options
    Can they appeal this?
  • Options
    Good news
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Indeed,  China next please.
  • Options
    shouldn't be allowed to compete under neutral flag either since there is no valid doping system in Russia, so an athlete being "clean" means nothing
  • Options
    Salad said:
    shouldn't be allowed to compete under neutral flag either since there is no valid doping system in Russia, so an athlete being "clean" means nothing
    Athletes will have to go to another country to be tested. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems strange they can compete in the Euro's but not the World Cup! 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Can they appeal this?
    Sounds a bit frivolous to me.
  • Options
    Well everything gets appealed whether they have a good case or not.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    The scale of their systematic and state-sanctioned cheating is what separates them from any other guilty parties. 
  • Options
    Good. Cheating bastards
  • Options
    Has Corbyn called a recount yet?
  • Options
    And the odds on this actually happening are?

• Options
    addick19 said:
    And the odds on this actually happening are?

It’s happened
  • Options
    So how do the athletes prove they are clean?
    donthey have to live abroad permanently?

It’s a farce. Ban all the athletes, tough if you are innocent. 
  • Options
    What was the game when it looked like they were just too buzzing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What was the game when it looked like they were just too buzzing?
    Was it Croatia in the quarters , think they lost on pens
  • Options
    spain wasn’t it?
  • Options
    Wasn't that all a bit of a myth. They got smashed by Uruguay in their group, snuck past Spain on pens despite Spain dominating, then lost to Croatia on pens. Hardly some out of the ordinary results.
  • Options
    Wasn't that all a bit of a myth. They got smashed by Uruguay in their group, snuck past Spain on pens despite Spain dominating, then lost to Croatia on pens. Hardly some out of the ordinary results.
    However they are a very ordinary team. Look at their recent record. Name the Russian players who start for the top European club sides....

I am sure you wouldn't claim that they out-performed thanks only to the home support and pride in playing for Mother Russia....
  • Options
    However they are a very ordinary team. Look at their recent record. Name the Russian players who start for the top European club sides....

I am sure you wouldn't claim that they out-performed thanks only to the home support and pride in playing for Mother Russia....
    I wouldn't claim they outperformed at all. They beat Saudi Arabia and Egypt as expected, got beaten easily by Uruguay, then beat Spain on penalties in a game they should've lost. A side ranked in the top 25 in the world getting to a quarter final isn't unheard of is it? 

Yes they're a fairly ordinary team, but you often get 1-2 sides coming from nowhere in a tournament.

In 2002 you had South Korea and Turkey in the semi's.
    In 2006 Ukraine reached the quarters.
    In 2010 Ghana and Paraguay reached the quarters.
  • Options
    Their own fans considered that they had outperformed! Going into that tournament most didn't expect them to progress!!
  • Options

In 2010 Ghana and Paraguay reached the quarter

they all look like they’d have been on it as well ! 
  • Options

In 2010 Ghana and Paraguay reached the quarter

they all look like they’d have been on it as well ! 
    Well South Korea was surely fixed. The ref for their game with italy was definitely paid off, and he later did time in prison for smuggling heroin!
  • Options
    Yes they can appeal . Think I heard they have 21 days to do so.
    I believe Euros not counted as a major event because it isnt global. 
  • Options

I wouldn't claim they outperformed at all. They beat Saudi Arabia and Egypt as expected, got beaten easily by Uruguay, then beat Spain on penalties in a game they should've lost. A side ranked in the top 25 in the world getting to a quarter final isn't unheard of is it? 

Yes they're a fairly ordinary team, but you often get 1-2 sides coming from nowhere in a tournament.

In 2010 Ghana and Paraguay reached the quarters.
    I think it was the stats about how far each player ran and that they covered an unusually high distance each.