Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cyclist killed in Greenwich Park

A cyclist hit by a car driver and killed in Greenwich Park on Tuesday evening.
LINK: newsshopper.co.uk
Cyclist killed in collision

Police are seeking witnesses to a collision in which a cyclist died.

The accident happened on June 26 at around 4.45pm in Greenwich Park.

A 53-year-old man was riding his bike through the park, towards Blackheath, when he collided with a car coming in the opposite direction.

Ambulance services attended, but the cyclist was declared dead at the scene.

The car driver was uninjured.

A post-mortem examination on the victim was carried out at Greenwich mortuary.

The incident is being investigated by The Met's Collision Investigation Unit, based at Catford Traffic Garage.

The number to ring with any information is 020 8285 1574, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you wish to remain anonymous.

Comments

• Options
    The driver has been found guilty and fined £2500 and banned from driving for five years.
    I couldn't find a link, but the judge said the reason for not giving a custodial sentence was that he showed genuine remorse, pleaded gulity immediately and there is no evidence to prove he was exceeded the 30mph speed limit.

It migt seem a light sentence but at least it was an accident ... unlike this unpleasant story:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/search/display.var.1792758.0.cyclist_has_broken_back_after_being_pushed_off_bike.php
  • Options
    thats fecking terrible who would do that sort of thing tossers that fella could be paralised for ever
  • Options
    I get stones thrown at me by kids and was once tapped round the back of the head at a pedestrian crossing, and that's not even when I'm on my bike. Just kidding it is really, and I actually stop at traffic lights/crossings...
  • Options
    jesus, that is horrible.

Like you say, the incident in Greenwich Park was an accident, horrible but an accident.

I've been cycling to work for the past few months now, and the attitude from some drivers is ridiculous.