Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

iMac

My iMac is about 10 years old works fine other than being a bit slow when I have a number of Applications open.

A few of my applications I can’t update because I can’t go beyond the current software OSX El Capitan.

I don’t want to buy a new iMac yet, are there any external devises that I can buy that will allow me to go beyond the current OS?

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• edited December 2019
    In short, no. The OS upgrade package will look at the underlying hardware / kernel and block the process.

Your situation will only get worse as more developers of software prevent older versions. Apple are one of the better manufacturers for continued support. Your iMac is classified as vintage by them. 
  • Think you have to bite the bullet and get a new one. You won’t regret it as you will find a major difference in speed. 
  • MarkyE83 said:
    In short, no. The OS upgrade package will look at the underlying hardware / kernel and block the process.

Your situation will only get worse as more developers of software prevent older versions. Apple are one of the better manufacturers for continued support. Your iMac is classified as vintage by them. 
    stonemuse said:
    Think you have to bite the bullet and get a new one. You won’t regret it as you will find a major difference in speed. 
    Yeah, thought so, thanks for the advise.