Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket .. England in South Africa & Sri Lanka 2019/2020

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Oh look, Chizz is making a show of himself on a cricket thread again. 

I’ve no idea why you are so deliberately difficult or why you feel the need to be so condescending. 

Really odd behaviour and it comes across so poorly. 

You must be very, very bored. 
    Its what happens when a small brain and a small penis occur in the same person.
    How do you know? ;)
    I have one but not the other! ;)
  • Options
    There are a couple of people on here that I no longer read their posts (or try not to).
    I can't see the point when they mainly post to start a disagreement.
    Runs to check when the last time CE liked loled or replied to one of my posts! ;)
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    LenGlover said:
    AshBurton said:
    Last one for now (promise). Also includes some summary takeaways from this tour, including support for Joe Denly’s role over the last year:
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/woody-shakes-it-up-now-pace-and-bounce-pace-and-bounce

Excellent point re the comparative renaissance of Root since Denly took over at 3 regularly.

It's no secret that Root has always wanted to bat at 4 and only moved up with great reluctance.

That said, I think his renaissance would be in full swing should we be in a position to hand over the captaincy. I don't think he is really suited to it: field settings (there was a bloody deep point in the last innings of the last Test!) are uninspired or non-sensical a lot of the time, and he doesn't seem a particularly vocal leader.

I'd actually consider Burns (when fit), or possibly Stokes - if temperament isn't an issue - as a captain, to allow Root to further flourish.
    I used to agree with this, but don’t any longer having seen his captaincy in action at close quarters. I now think he’s trying to be a lot more innovative than I gave him credit for. And the vocal thing is overblown - this was hardly Mike Brearley’s style either and he seemed to do ok (at captaincy, let’s ignore the batting side). 
    I agree that Root's captaincy has, in the main, been very good in the series just completed. Winning three on the bounce, away from home is exceptional. To do so from one-nil down, with a significant injury list, makes it even more remarkable. 

It's very easy to point to individual errors which become apparent in hindsight. And, it's because this happens that captains, like Root, often choose not to make a decision, instead of trying something that has an innate risk. Make lots of good decisions and you overcome the free or ones you make (even when people want to pore over them). Make too few decisions and you lose. It's often as simple as that. 

Du Plessis performed poorly as captain. A very obvious example was his complete loss of control bowling to the tail in England's first innings at Johannesburg. In an hour, England's last two wickets took the series away from South Africa. The inaction of du Plessis was culpable. 

In the end, England won because they had the edge in batting and bowling. But there was a chasm in terms of captaincy.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz.
    Your post earlier regarding players who you concider to be key.
    You include Butler. Most people on here including me wouldn't even have Butler in the team let alone be a key player. 
    Foakes is a far superior keeper. 
    Most people voted for Mrs Brown's Boys to win "Best Comedy" at the NTAs. 
    Most people would realise that one of these things is not like the other, and take into account informed sporting context, particularly on a website like Charlton Life.

They also wouldn't be condescending.

Most people realise that sometimes, when "most people" do something, it can be the wrong decision, but generally speaking there is something to be said for the wisdom of crowds.
    Blackpool enjoyed the joke. And that's all it was. 
  • Options
    I suspect that Root's captaincy has improved due to huge input from Silverwood .. the previous 'coach' , the Aussie who was nicking a living and seemed half asleep all the time appeared to be only interested in the 50 over game where Morgan is skipper
  • Options
    I suspect that Root's captaincy has improved due to huge input from Silverwood .. the previous 'coach' , the Aussie who was nicking a living and seemed half asleep all the time appeared to be only interested in the 50 over game where Morgan is skipper
    Completely agree with this bit
  • Options

I’ve no idea why you are so deliberately difficult or why you feel the need to be so condescending. 

You're better than that canters old boy
  • Options
    I've been in favour of taking the captaincy from Root, not because he's a terrible captain, but rather because it's affected his batting. If Root without the captaincy can average an extra 5 to 10 runs per innings, that could make a big difference to the team. The problem has been the lack of an alternative.

Indeed in the short term you could even give it to Denly. It probably wouldn't affect his batting much, and he's done the job before. 

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    LenGlover said:
    AshBurton said:
    Last one for now (promise). Also includes some summary takeaways from this tour, including support for Joe Denly’s role over the last year:
    https://www.burtonsblog.com/post/woody-shakes-it-up-now-pace-and-bounce-pace-and-bounce

Excellent point re the comparative renaissance of Root since Denly took over at 3 regularly.

It's no secret that Root has always wanted to bat at 4 and only moved up with great reluctance.

That said, I think his renaissance would be in full swing should we be in a position to hand over the captaincy. I don't think he is really suited to it: field settings (there was a bloody deep point in the last innings of the last Test!) are uninspired or non-sensical a lot of the time, and he doesn't seem a particularly vocal leader.

I'd actually consider Burns (when fit), or possibly Stokes - if temperament isn't an issue - as a captain, to allow Root to further flourish.
    I think root has skippered very well this series ,although it's a bit early to say it may be because he and silverwood are on a wavelength ..time will tell

Burns as a potential skip maybe a good call ,although he will have to re establish himself to be discussed as a contender Tend to disagree re stokes as a skipper. Just like botham and Flintoff before him it's obvious he has a fine tactical mind but I'd allow him to be the relatively free spirit that he is on the pitch unburdened by anything else...although out on the pitch he should be the first person root should turn to 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    LenGlover said:
    AshBurton said:

I think root has skippered very well this series ,although it's a bit early to say it may be because he and silverwood are on a wavelength ..time will tell

Burns as a potential skip maybe a good call ,although he will have to re establish himself to be discussed as a contender Tend to disagree re stokes as a skipper. Just like botham and Flintoff before him it's obvious he has a fine tactical mind but I'd allow him to be the relatively free spirit that he is on the pitch unburdened by anything else...although out on the pitch he should be the first person root should turn to 
    Stokes has enough to do in the side without Captaining as well!
  • Options
    lolwray said:

You're better than that canters old boy
    Certain people rattle my cage. Need some time out....
  • Options
    Genuinely believe Burns will be an excellent captain and no doubt his time will come. He is the perfect statesman and one of the few players who will have captaincy experience before making it as a test player. Has experienced success and failure as a captain and is generally thought of as tactically strong.
  • Options
    I've been in favour of taking the captaincy from Root, not because he's a terrible captain, but rather because it's affected his batting. If Root without the captaincy can average an extra 5 to 10 runs per innings, that could make a big difference to the team. The problem has been the lack of an alternative.

Indeed in the short term you could even give it to Denly. It probably wouldn't affect his batting much, and he's done the job before. 

Denly initially took the captaincy of Kent in Billings absence but, because of a poor run of form, he gave it up to  concentrate on his batting and Kuhn took over
  • Options

Canters, clearly the expert on small brains and small penises.....and big mouths too ?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I mean it's shit like this that means I post on this thread less often.
    Well you shouldn’t have to. Just ignore it. As most others feel, it’s pathetic behaviour, just don’t take it seriously as that’s what he wants. Don’t miss out over someone like him. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Canters, clearly the expert on small brains and small penises.....and big mouths too ?
    Good use of the quote function there.

Thank you. Least I'm an expert in something.
  • Options

Don't really get the reasoning there ...so if root doesn't skipper you say that he 'll score 5-10 runs more per innings..say 55 rather than his average of c48 ..that won't make a big difference to the teams total though 

Not sure if you are serious about Denly as a skipper 
  • Options
    I love test cricket. I can happily watch it all day. 205-3 at the close of play on day 1. Love it.

While respectful of the admirable accumulators of this world, I tend to pay more attention if there's a shot maker at the crease. I remember leaving work one night years ago, and rushing to the pub to watch Pietersen smash Ishant and India all over the place.

I have been desperate for Buttler to succeed in the test arena. I would consider myself a (wait for it) 'Buttliever'

A world class talent and ball striker, given a role down the order to counter attack by Ed Smith. I loved the idea.

He has always tried to apply himself and do what's best for the team, often stuck with the tail with England at a deficit, and even thought he did well during the Ashes. But even I can't argue that he should be selected against Sri Lanka. He's just not done enough to keep his place during this winter.

Although I'd argue he should not be dropped in favour of Bairstow. I agree they should drop Buttler and go back to Foakes, who is a lot better with the gloves.

Indeed, a bit of time away from cricket will probably do him the world of good. I hope he can work his way back in, but I think his time in tests is unfortunately done.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:
    I love test cricket. I can happily watch it all day. 205-3 at the close of play on day 1. Love it.

While respectful of the admirable accumulators of this world, I tend to pay more attention if there's a shot maker at the crease. I remember leaving work one night years ago, and rushing to the pub to watch Pietersen smash Ishant and India all over the place.

I have been desperate for Buttler to succeed in the test arena. I would consider myself a (wait for it) 'Buttliever'

A world class talent and ball striker, given a role down the order to counter attack by Ed Smith. I loved the idea.

He has always tried to apply himself and do what's best for the team, often stuck with the tail with England at a deficit, and even thought he did well during the Ashes. But even I can't argue that he should be selected against Sri Lanka. He's just not done enough to keep his place during this winter.

Although I'd argue he should not be dropped in favour of Bairstow. I agree they should drop Buttler and go back to Foakes, who is a lot better with the gloves.

Indeed, a bit of time away from cricket will probably do him the world of good. I hope he can work his way back in, but I think his time in tests is unfortunately done.
    I'm with you mate. If it worked it would be brilliant. The modern answer to Gilchrist. It would be good for England. And he could always develop his keeping as Prior did after getting the england side. Trouble is its had long enough and there is little to no evidence it will ever work.

We have stokes/Pope/Sam/Woakes to counter attack so a batsman like Foakes in at 7 could be perfect. And Foakes is no slouch. He averages over 60 at domestic 50 over cricket and got MOTM in his only ODI.

Funnily enough when Buttler first came through I remember plenty of commentators saying he wouldn't be able to keep in the long format long term because he is too tall and his back wouldn't last.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I didn't see the match but I see that, for the 2nd consecutive game, India have beaten NZ on a Super Over.

At 159-3, NZ needed 7 off the final over to win which went:

Wicket
    Wicket
    Wicket
    Wicket (run out taking the 2nd to win the game)

NZ aren't very good at finishing close games are they!
  • Options

South Africa: De Kock, R Hendricks, Bavuma, Van der Dussen, JJ Smuts, Miller, Phehlukwayo, B Hendricks, Ngidi, Sipamla, Shamsi.

England: Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Denly, Banton, S Curran, Woakes, T Curran, Jordan, Parkinson.

Parkinson and Banton make their debuts

• Options

South Africa: De Kock, R Hendricks, Bavuma, Van der Dussen, JJ Smuts, Miller, Phehlukwayo, B Hendricks, Ngidi, Sipamla, Shamsi.

England: Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Denly, Banton, S Curran, Woakes, T Curran, Jordan, Parkinson.

the England team is certainly not the strongest .. we will see
  • Options

Still a decent batting side in particular. Batting first I think a good score will be too much for them. 
  • Options

Still a decent batting side in particular. Batting first I think a good score will be too much for them. 
    be good to see Banton, an absolute monster at county level
  • Options

Have you seen the SA team? 
  • Options
    53-2

Both Roy and Bairstow gone, the latter in particular not looking very comfortable on this slow track. Would think this is a time for Root to bat through and aim to get around 270-280 which might be enough
  • Options
    53-2

Both Roy and Bairstow gone, the latter in particular not looking very comfortable on this slow track. Would think this is a time for Root to bat through and aim to get around 270-280 which might be enough
    Or not. Root run out

83-3

• Options
    The slow pitch might suit Denly more than the big hitters like Banton
  • Options
    84-4

Morgan gone